Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 3 of 4  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »
kerkie
Post subject: Re: 6 Frigates: The Sailing NavyPosted: January 19th, 2014, 2:03 am
Bravo Zulu! Those are awesome.

Stercus accidit! :)

[Profile] [Quote]
BrockPaine
Post subject: Re: 6 Frigates: The Sailing NavyPosted: January 19th, 2014, 2:48 am
Splendid indeed. I'm glad you did these, rather than me finishing up my version. It's just... better.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: 6 Frigates: The Sailing NavyPosted: January 19th, 2014, 9:49 am
Very nice work CraigH. I'd never have the patience nor skill to pull off rigging like that. I'm really enjoying seeing some sail entering the SB world.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
CraigH
Post subject: Re: 6 Frigates: The Sailing NavyPosted: January 19th, 2014, 1:53 pm
Colosseum,
Title Block changes incorporated. See last pair of images.

Found info on spar deck bulkhead. Incorporated changes. See last pair of images.
CraigH

Some railroad stuff
More random stuff that strikes me!

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: 6 Frigates: The Sailing NavyPosted: January 19th, 2014, 5:49 pm
Excellent work, and the flag might be the finest rendition I've seen at this scale. The only revision I might consider is increased shading of the hull below the waterline; these ships had a very strange and full hullform to the modern eye, and I think deeper shading might help convey this in a subtle but useful way.

[Profile] [Quote]
CraigH
Post subject: Re: 6 Frigates: The Sailing NavyPosted: January 20th, 2014, 2:08 am
Erik,
Thought about the underwater shading and I've done it in the past. One of the challenges with the older hulls in particular is the transition between the broad hull portions to the skeg/ rudder post. The lines should fair gently and the allowable 3 shades standard just doesn't do it justice (the standards work very well with modern ship hull forms). It looks awesome if done with the verboten graded shading technique with 10 or more steps, passable with as few as 5.

I decided to go with no underwater hull shading and no simulated coppering deliberately. 1) The upper hull and masting/sails/rigging is where I want viewer eyes to focus. The upper works are plenty busy and an artistic choice. 2) Coppering seams at the "scale" distances we are dealing with would be invisible. 3) Shading: I'm just not happy right now with hull transition results I've been getting with the the SB accepted techniques. It's something I'm still working on. Some of my earlier works have shading:

http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af2 ... g~original
USS Wampanoag

CSS Alabama

Eppleton Hall

USS Kalamazoo

Anyway, I'm all for suggestions.

CraigH

Some railroad stuff

[Profile] [Quote]
Syzmo
Post subject: Re: 6 Frigates: The Sailing NavyPosted: January 21st, 2014, 9:00 pm
This is a great drawing. Truly unequaled, and beyond anything most of us are capable of. I really think this depicts more canvas than she was designed to carry, or initially fitted out with. I don't believe any of the ships carried royals as built and I believe the masts should be shorter.

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity, but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." Thomas Edward Lawrence, The Seven Pillars of Wisdom

[Profile] [Quote]
BrockPaine
Post subject: Re: 6 Frigates: The Sailing NavyPosted: January 21st, 2014, 11:32 pm
Syzmo wrote:
This is a great drawing. Truly unequaled, and beyond anything most of us are capable of. I really think this depicts more canvas than she was designed to carry, or initially fitted out with. I don't believe any of the ships carried royals as built and I believe the masts should be shorter.
The period drawings in Chapelle's The American Sailing Navy show that the US frigates had four sails (mainsail, topsail, topgallant sail, and royal) on the fore and main masts, matching Craig's drawing above. (The book includes spar and sailmaker plans for other frigates, including Essex and Philadelphia, that show this sail-plan.) By the War of 1812 the President, at least, had a fifth spar added.

As for mast heights, the 1803 data from Chapelle cites:
FORE: 96'
---top: 52'6"
---topg: 32'9"
---pole: 17'
MAIN: 105'6"
---top: 61'6"
---topg: 34'6"
---pole: 18'6"
MIZZEN: 90'
---top: 50'10"
---topg: 26'
---pole: 12'
Bowsprit: 64'
Jibboom: 51'
Flying Jibboom: 60'
Martingale: 21'

I haven't measured the drawing out to see how those figures compare, but those are the measurements from 1803.

[Profile] [Quote]
CraigH
Post subject: Re: 6 Frigates: The Sailing NavyPosted: January 22nd, 2014, 3:41 am
OK,
Here are the reference drawings used:

From Chapelle:
[ img ]

On-line somewhere from a couple or more sources, 1803 appears to be accurate:
[ img ]

Now, I'll be using the following to reflect additional changes, it's been dated to 1817.
[ img ]

The sail outfit appears to match or largely match descriptions dating prior to 1812.

NOTE: I've reduced the scans quite a bit from the raw size I use.

I'm using paint descriptions and modifications made to the ship based on research done by a gent that was working on a major submission to the Nautical Research Journal and book. I tend to trust those guys research (hard-cores). There are surviving documents listing refits and also changes made by captains down to damned near the month. I've about a dozen other sources, books, on-line....I look for high levels of scholarship, expertise, and a basically great pedigree.

Drawing methodology on this one isn't quite as anal as I would follow for railroad restoration docs I do...nowhere near the level actually. That's all AutoCAD stuff down to small decimal fractions of inches...precision work.

On this one it was simply to reduce the source images to within 1 pixel of scale size. Import into Corel Draw, trace away. With a pixel being 1/2 scale foot, I'll not quibble, the level of precision isn't worth it. Also, scanned or photocopied original images including the digitized versions are frequently stretched either vertically or horizontally. Next, I'll do the basic vector based linework in Corel Draw for layer control, superb linework control, etc. Lastly, I export it to MS Paint so I can see how the pixel art will actually look, make corrections, etc.

If anyone does dimensional checks and finds errors, I'll gladly fix the drawings, I've not had time for that Q/C this time around (work gets in the way).

I broke out my old Anatomy of the Ship: HMS Diana. It has useable rigging for a couple areas that are bugging me (primarily lines to control sail shape). I also found some very interesting bits regarding the ship's inventory of sails. There ARE a number of sails available in the late 1790's that were thought to have NOT existed until the 1800's (and as late as the 1860's).

Cool stuff! And a HUGE thanks for the complements!!!!!
CraigH

Some railroad stuff

[Profile] [Quote]
Trojan
Post subject: Re: 6 Frigates: The Sailing NavyPosted: January 22nd, 2014, 6:10 am
Wow this is out of this world!

References and feedback is always welcome!

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 3 of 4  [ 36 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »

Jump to: