Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
WWII44
Post subject: Charles S. PricePosted: September 29th, 2016, 1:34 am
My take on the Charles S. Price, a 504ft ore carrier found floating turtle after the Great Lakes Storm of 1913. As there are no known plans of her and I'm working off of photos and my existing knowledge of Great Lakes Freighters I can guarantee she'll be of the same quality as my drawing of the Ben W. Calvin, none the less I'll give it my best.

What I have so far
[ img ]

The Reference Images I'm using:
[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
WWII44
Post subject: Re: Charles S. PricePosted: September 29th, 2016, 9:29 pm
Progress Update:

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: Charles S. PricePosted: September 29th, 2016, 10:22 pm
A good start, but I think that the bridge area is somewhat wrong. The forecastle look to me, to be too long, and the bridge superstructure is too much aft, when comparing it to the pictures you have provided.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
citizen lambda
Post subject: Re: Charles S. PricePosted: September 30th, 2016, 9:52 am
Second that.
The second picture you posted (as well as the paper model) show that the forward edge of the bridge falls somewhere between the first and second portholes.
And now you'll have to figure out the shading to make that part of the bridge look rounded, too :)
The funnel might be a bit thicker too, but that's a tougher call.

Is the ship closely related to other, better documented classes that you can confidently draw the lower hull?

Still and all, that looks like a good start, much like your previous posting.
Maybe that's just me, but may I suggest coloring the complete hull a shade lighter? That would make the relief shading and any details you may add more visible.
If you're interested, I suggest looking at Darth Panda's latest postings in the submarines thread for some examples of a dark grey/dark red combo that leaves some margin for details.
Of course it's your drawing and your style, so I'D understand if you choose to stick to more realistic colors.

[Profile] [Quote]
WWII44
Post subject: Re: Charles S. PricePosted: September 30th, 2016, 1:13 pm
citizen lambda wrote:
Is the ship closely related to other, better documented classes that you can confidently draw the lower hull?
The Price is archetypal of lake freighters of the early 1900s they all have the same general underwater profile, the main difference would be of the screws and rudder.

may modify the following plans here to match the Price's dimensions if what I have doesn't pan out.
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
darthpanda
Post subject: Re: Charles S. PricePosted: October 1st, 2016, 9:37 am
I realy looking forward for this drawing

- RHKAAF / HKGFS - 皇家香港輔助空軍 / 政府飛行服務隊
- Gunbucket - LINK

天滅中共全黨死清光!

[Profile] [Quote]
WWII44
Post subject: Re: Charles S. PricePosted: October 3rd, 2016, 10:35 pm
the beginnings of take two, I took the plans of a lake freighter of the same time period and modified it to match the dimensions of the Price.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
WWII44
Post subject: Re: Charles S. PricePosted: October 4th, 2016, 5:31 am
Progress update, note the water line might not be accurate I added those to act as place holders, my main focus this time was the pilot house and forecastle which I did my best to make it as close to the reference images as possible.
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: Charles S. PricePosted: October 4th, 2016, 7:06 am
I am enjoying watching you bring these to life.

But this latest one, the grey source drawing is completely different to your SB drawing around the bow section. They do not seem to match. The actual bridge looks like it should be closer to the bow, and the hull break at the front should also be closer to the bow. The mast should be on the break, not forward of it. I take it you are still to add the ventilator that also shows around the break of the hull.

[Profile] [Quote]
WWII44
Post subject: Re: Charles S. PricePosted: October 4th, 2016, 11:11 am
I used the plans as a spring board for what you see as the original plans had a similar pilot house and aft structure as well as the hull to the Price which came from the same era.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 15 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: