Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 3 of 3  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3
Mitchell van Os
Post subject: Re: Alaska class cruisersPosted: April 7th, 2021, 8:02 am
Jesus Ian what is this :?

Looks very very neat, i guess even printable to hang up in your hallway like neat?!

Embarked on: HNLMS Karel Doorman A833
To do list:
-Zeven Provincien class cruiser
-Joint support ship all sides
-F124 Sachsen class frigate
-F125 Baden-Württemberg class frigate
-Clemencau class aircraft carrier
-Zeven provincien class frigate
-Poolster class AOR
-Amsterdam class AOR
-Minas Gerais aircraft carrier

[Profile] [Quote]
KHT
Post subject: Re: Alaska class cruisersPosted: April 7th, 2021, 8:40 am
Agreeing with the above. On a second look, I can't help feel like there's something jarring about the contrast of the top and bottom of the armour belt vis a vis the shading only transitions at the ends, but I suppose it's hard to illustrate accurately in another fashion.

I have wondered though: why did the Alaska class have their hangars and planes amidships? I'm certainly not complaining, it looks great :P but they're a bit of an odd ball compared to the last generations of US battleships and cruisers.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Alaska class cruisersPosted: April 7th, 2021, 1:28 pm
Thanks guys for all your comments :)
Quote:
On a second look, I can't help feel like there's something jarring about the contrast of the top and bottom of the armour belt vis a vis the shading only transitions at the ends, but I suppose it's hard to illustrate accurately in another fashion.
Right - this is my (rather poor) attempt to portray the construction of the belt, which is faired in flush with the shell plating at the fore and aft ends, but has a defined step on top and bottom. The only correct way to show this step in our style is to use a black line at top and bottom and shade colors fore and aft (though I suppose the true style would ask for a dark grey line at both ends - which was how I drew the belt many years ago, but I prefer this approach).

[Profile] [Quote]
KHT
Post subject: Re: Alaska class cruisersPosted: April 7th, 2021, 3:24 pm
Maybe a single line of shading/brightening under and on top of the bottom and top of the belt respectively? I'm thinking that might helt simulate the visual effect of the steps. Upon copying the image into paint and zooming, I saw that you'd done a single line of shading on the bottom, but I think it would be well served by a darker shade... Too dark a shade would of course imply a significant overhang, but currently, it's like it's not even there.

I did a quick sketch-up of what I ment.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Alaska class cruisersPosted: April 7th, 2021, 6:13 pm
Nice suggestion - I like it. The OP has been updated. Thx!

[Profile] [Quote]
KHT
Post subject: Re: Alaska class cruisersPosted: April 9th, 2021, 3:19 pm
You're welcome. Something funky seems to have happened with the X turret in the November 1944 top view though.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Alaska class cruisersPosted: April 9th, 2021, 3:36 pm
Fixed... error during copying small changes over to the templated version :)

[Profile] [Quote]
Colombamike
Post subject: Re: Alaska class cruisersPosted: April 11th, 2021, 1:18 pm
Colosseum wrote: *
This is ALASKA (CB-1) in November 1944
@ Ian/Colosseum
My usual INFAMOUS grain of salt, to perfect your drawing :mrgreen:
Maybe few errors about top-view camo & few smalls details ?
USS Alaska, august or november 1944 ?
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Alaska class cruisersPosted: April 11th, 2021, 3:25 pm
I was waiting for your reply :) -- and btw, always appreciate your careful attention to the drawings I have posted over the years!

I've numbered each of your remarks on the pic below and here are my associated comments. One major note here is that my drawing shows ALASKA in November 1944, after the refit period at Philadelphia, and the very nice overhead view you provide was taken at Norfolk before this refit. There are some important changes that were made at Philadelphia after this refit and that included moving small deck equipment around. Unfortunately, only a few good photos are available of the ship immediately after this refit - I've attached the best/clearest shot I have.

1. This is a high angle shot with the sun casting shadows which makes the deck pattern difficult to make out. Other photos of ALASKA during the shakedown show the camouflage pattern in this area to match my drawing -- check pg44 of Classic Warships' "Warship Pictorial" volume for a good overhead view of ALASKA refueling while on shakedown and this area is very obvious. I have no scans of this at this time.

2. The area denoted in "2" looks to me like an area of the deck where fresh paint was applied (or sun has faded the paint) -- this area is still obviously Deck Blue (20-B). Our drawings do not show faded or patched paint so this area will not be updated.

3. This area is clearly painted in Ocean Grey (5-O) in other photos - if you look closely at the overhead view you can see the outlines of the (possibly faded) paint remaining.

4. During shakedown, ALASKA had three of the large hawser reels positioned here as your photo shows -- after refit at Philadelphia, a fourth reel was added both fore and aft (#15). These reels are covered with canvas in most photos. I made a note on the Nov 1944 photo attached labeling the change. This is an area all modelmakers have gotten wrong.

5. It's not clear to me what your complaint about this is -- the sighting periscope is positioned in the right place and I will need better photo evidence to make the top of this Deck Blue instead of Ocean Grey.

6. This small bucket vent is positioned correctly in the drawing and your top view shows this without question.

7. I concur with you that the top of the rangefinder hood should be colored Ocean Grey and will correct this.

8. It's not clear to me what "8" is calling out as an error -- the 5" gun platform at this position covers a 20mm clipping room and this is accurately reflected in the drawing.

9. It's not clear to me what "9" is calling out as an error -- this is the 5" practice loading machine area, and the photo is too blurry to make an accurate call as to what equipment may be stacked there. As a general rule, if a piece of equipment is clearly stacked somewhere temporarily in a photo, I don't draw it in that location. My guess is that we're either seeing stacked fueling at sea hoses, or one of the accommodation ladders. All of these have standard storage locations that are corroborated in other photos so I will not update this area of the drawing.

10. Underway photos show this small platform painted Deck Blue -- I puzzled over this exact area because of this photo, but concluded (after consulting multiple other shots) that the overhead view of this area was just washed out. Note that this platform has a small lip around it which is painted Light Grey which adds to the confusion...

11. I concur that the angled sides of these vent plenums should be Light Grey in the plan view and will update

12. I don't agree with this area being called out as an error - my drawing matches the overhead view exactly and other photos corroborate this.

13. I concur this area was missed and will update

14. Other photos show the forward turrets painted according to the SHIPS-2 manual -- see the Nov 1944 photo below.

15. See the Nov 1944 photo below -- four hawser reels were added forward during the refit period at Philadelphia, and the camouflage pattern on top of the 20mm clipping room forward matches photo evidence.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 3 of 3  [ 29 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3

Jump to: