Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 4  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 4 »
Author Message
CodumCallum1666
Post subject: Titanic RevampPosted: July 19th, 2021, 3:55 am
Offline
Posts: 27
Joined: January 22nd, 2021, 5:41 am
I'm reposting this here since I didn't read the index correctly and posted it in the General discussion section. I'm very sorry for posting twice.

So I went ahead and revemped CanisD/D. Briedis's Titanic drawing. Last time it was updated was all the way back in 2012, by user Ollie. Even then, it was still outdated and inaccurate. I had to use the
Starboard profile on Encyclopedia Titanica as a guide.
See the differences!
[ img ]

Version without lifeboats:
[ img ]


This is as far as I could get in terms of changes. There's still some things left that need to be done that I couldn't do myself due to limited abilies or because I was hesitant to do them myself.

  • Updating the shading to current shipbucket standards and quality
  • Changing the rigging to match the rigging on the real ship's rigging plan.

I can handle doing the recoloring, though the above needs to be finished before i can proceed.


I'll see if I can contact ollie about doing some of these since i'm trying to keep it in his style as much as possible


Last edited by CodumCallum1666 on July 25th, 2021, 9:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

Top
[Profile] [Quote]
Cunardfan
Post subject: Re: Titanic RevampPosted: July 19th, 2021, 9:01 pm
Offline
Posts: 107
Joined: August 21st, 2013, 6:25 am
CodumCallum1666 wrote: *

  • Changing the Central propeller into a three bladed variant that the actual ship had
There is still debate over this, it's not 100% proven.

_________________
Projects
US Navy auxiliaries
Canadian Pacific Steamships Empress of Britain (post war)
Cunard Line Ascania (final 1950s configuration)
Cunard Line RMS Aquitania


Top
[Profile] [Quote]
CodumCallum1666
Post subject: Re: Titanic RevampPosted: July 20th, 2021, 5:36 am
Offline
Posts: 27
Joined: January 22nd, 2021, 5:41 am
Cunardfan wrote: *
CodumCallum1666 wrote: *

  • Changing the Central propeller into a three bladed variant that the actual ship had
There is still debate over this, it's not 100% proven.

I'm pretty sure there's already enough evidence to prove that she had a three bladed central propeller


Top
[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: Titanic RevampPosted: July 20th, 2021, 6:49 am
Offline
Posts: 3613
Joined: November 17th, 2010, 8:03 am
Location: Corinth, MS USA
Contact: Website, Skype, YouTube
CodumCallum1666 wrote: *
Cunardfan wrote: *
CodumCallum1666 wrote: *

  • Changing the Central propeller into a three bladed variant that the actual ship had
There is still debate over this, it's not 100% proven.

I'm pretty sure there's already enough evidence to prove that she had a three bladed central propeller
According to what I've heard, Olympic and Titanic were both completed with three-blade central propellers. Titanic sank with her three-blade propeller still attached, while Olympic's was later upgraded to a four-blade center prop in a refit. Britannic - I imagine - was completed with a four-blade center prop, but I don't know this for sure.

_________________
[ img ]
MS State Guard - 08 March 2014 - present

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List


Top
[Profile] [Quote]
CodumCallum1666
Post subject: Re: Titanic RevampPosted: July 20th, 2021, 11:44 am
Offline
Posts: 27
Joined: January 22nd, 2021, 5:41 am
emperor_andreas wrote: *
CodumCallum1666 wrote: *
Cunardfan wrote: *


There is still debate over this, it's not 100% proven.

I'm pretty sure there's already enough evidence to prove that she had a three bladed central propeller
According to what I've heard, Olympic and Titanic were both completed with three-blade central propellers. Titanic sank with her three-blade propeller still attached, while Olympic's was later upgraded to a four-blade center prop in a refit. Britannic - I imagine - was completed with a four-blade center prop, but I don't know this for sure.
That's why i think this drawing needs to be updated with a three bladed central propeller


Top
[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Titanic RevampPosted: July 20th, 2021, 12:52 pm
Online
Posts: 5186
Joined: July 26th, 2010, 9:38 pm
Location: Colorado
Contact: Website
My advice would be to present primary source evidence here (or at least reputable secondary sources) that back up your conclusion about the propeller arrangement...

Regarding the "rework" of this drawing, it's not obvious to me what you've changed aside from some recoloring. Based on your post, are you asking if the community can help you update this drawing by doing the hard stuff like plotting out the seachests and intakes on the hull and updating all the shading? If this is really what you're asking my advice would be to attempt this yourself first before asking others to do it for you.

_________________
USN components, camouflage colors, & reference links (World War II only)


Top
[Profile] [Quote]
CodumCallum1666
Post subject: Re: Titanic RevampPosted: July 20th, 2021, 2:29 pm
Offline
Posts: 27
Joined: January 22nd, 2021, 5:41 am
I'm probably going to regret saying this but, would someone also add the lines along the hull representing shell plating? i've seen some ocean liner drawings that also did that


Top
[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Titanic RevampPosted: July 20th, 2021, 4:39 pm
Online
Posts: 5186
Joined: July 26th, 2010, 9:38 pm
Location: Colorado
Contact: Website
Again, this site isn't geared towards folks who come in making requests. This is an easily modified art style that anyone can pick up and our project centers around individual contributors learning the style and creating the drawings (or modifications to existing drawings) themselves. You are of course free to ask if anyone can do this for you, but it isn't the point of this site.

_________________
USN components, camouflage colors, & reference links (World War II only)


Top
[Profile] [Quote]
CodumCallum1666
Post subject: Re: Titanic RevampPosted: July 21st, 2021, 2:29 am
Offline
Posts: 27
Joined: January 22nd, 2021, 5:41 am
Colosseum wrote: *
Again, this site isn't geared towards folks who come in making requests. This is an easily modified art style that anyone can pick up and our project centers around individual contributors learning the style and creating the drawings (or modifications to existing drawings) themselves. You are of course free to ask if anyone can do this for you, but it isn't the point of this site.
look, There are some things I can't do that I have to leave to other artists either because my aibility is limited or becausw I'm too hesitant and afraid of doing them myself. Worried that I might mess up or create an undesireable otcome.

I've already done as much modifications as i could to the best of my ability. i've also had to go back and make tweaks.


Last edited by CodumCallum1666 on July 21st, 2021, 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
[Profile] [Quote]
CodumCallum1666
Post subject: Re: Titanic RevampPosted: July 21st, 2021, 2:44 am
Offline
Posts: 27
Joined: January 22nd, 2021, 5:41 am
Colosseum wrote: *
My advice would be to present primary source evidence here (or at least reputable secondary sources) that back up your conclusion about the propeller arrangement...

Regarding the "rework" of this drawing, it's not obvious to me what you've changed aside from some recoloring. Based on your post, are you asking if the community can help you update this drawing by doing the hard stuff like plotting out the seachests and intakes on the hull and updating all the shading? If this is really what you're asking my advice would be to attempt this yourself first before asking others to do it for you.
I have tried doing them myself, but gave up when i didn't get the outcome i expected and i've been too afraid of doing the rest of the listed things by meyself ever since. I remembered that i once drew a propeller before and it looked hideous. And no I'm not making an excuse. i've already tried and failed. i'm scared of failure.

A lot has been changed. you have to see it more carefully in paint. I had to use the Encyclopedia Titanic starboard profile as a guide. There are differences, It's not just the recoloring, Had to correct windows and other features and were in the wrong position or shape. Had to create new elements as they were missing in the original two. Putting additional detail on the superstructure. etc.

one of the inaccuracies the originals had were the skylight windows from the olympic and wooden ramparts for the collapsibles.

There's only so much i can do. That's as far as i'll get. I also want it to stay in the style of the previous artist, which is why I didn't touch the riggin and why I removed the central propeller rather than drawing it myself.


Top
[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 4  [ 37 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page 1 2 3 4 »

Jump to: 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 35 guests


The team | Delete all board cookies | All times are UTC


cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited
[ GZIP: Off ]