An experimental destroyer of the Imperial Japanese Navy Shimakaze was ordered in 1939 under the 4th Naval Armaments Supplement Programme. Laid down at Maizuru Naval Arsenal in August 1941 and completed on 10 May 1943. She served as a testbed for an enormously powerful, high-temperature, high-pressure steam turbine that was able to develop 79,240 shp (59,090 kW). This made her one of the fastest destroyers in the world: her design speed was 39 knots (72 km/h; 45 mph), however, during her trials on 7 April 1943, she clocked at 40.90 knots (75.75 km/h; 47.07 mph), faster than initially planned.
Shimakaze was based on a lengthened version of the Yugumo design, with an additional 25 feet of length to mount an additional torpedo launcher amidships. With a broadside of three quintuple mounts which could be trained to either port or starboard, Shimakaze had one of the largest torpedo capacities of any World War II destroyer. The main battery used on the Yugumo-class of six Type3 127mm 50caliber naval guns in three twin-gun turrets was retained, as well as the anti-aircraft battery of two twin-mount Type96 25mm AA guns, plus a twin Type93 13mm mount ona platform forward of the bridge.
Shimakaze as of 1943:
Shimakaze as of 1944: