Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
VC_
Post subject: USS Bainbridge DLGN/CGN-25Posted: November 1st, 2021, 9:58 am
The Cold War is a little outside my area of interest, although I do like some specific ships from the period. US cruisers are among these. When someone pointed out that the Bainbridge hadn't been done before I was really surprised, it's such a prominent and interesting ship developmentally (and a very pretty one too). So I jumped on the opportunity to do an important a real ship as my next project.

I know from Discord discussion that there's a bit more room for imporvement with detailing, but I want to leave it at this for now. Happy to hear specific feedback, I may do another improvement pass at a later date, since I'm considering making a 1991 refit version to go with this 1962 as-built one.

Anyway, for now, enjoy some smokeless cruising!

[ img ]

Last edited by VC_ on November 4th, 2021, 10:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
darthpanda
Post subject: Re: USS Bainbridge DLGN/CGN-25Posted: November 1st, 2021, 11:37 am
Beautiful! I like her very much!

- RHKAAF / HKGFS - 皇家香港輔助空軍 / 政府飛行服務隊
- Gunbucket - LINK

天滅中共全黨死清光!

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: USS Bainbridge DLGN/CGN-25Posted: November 1st, 2021, 12:32 pm
Very nice work!

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: USS Bainbridge DLGN/CGN-25Posted: November 1st, 2021, 3:36 pm
It's a good work. I'm not an expert on this ship. But we have missile the ship carried, posted above the drawing of the ship (above the launcher)

[Profile] [Quote]
VC_
Post subject: Re: USS Bainbridge DLGN/CGN-25Posted: November 1st, 2021, 6:10 pm
heuhen wrote: *
It's a good work. I'm not an expert on this ship. But we have missile the ship carried, posted above the drawing of the ship (above the launcher)
Correct, I forgot that :mrgreen: I will add them

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: USS Bainbridge DLGN/CGN-25Posted: November 2nd, 2021, 9:40 am
Very nice work indeed, good to see some more USN vessels represented.

The only thing that stands out for me is the internals of the aft lattice mast outlined in grey. I think they should be be black as they are 3-pixel thick parts. I do tend to use dark grey in lattices but only for 1-pixel thick lines in smaller lattice structures.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
VC_
Post subject: Re: USS Bainbridge DLGN/CGN-25Posted: November 2nd, 2021, 8:25 pm
Hood wrote: *
The only thing that stands out for me is the internals of the aft lattice mast outlined in grey. I think they should be be black as they are 3-pixel thick parts. I do tend to use dark grey in lattices but only for 1-pixel thick lines in smaller lattice structures.
So, they were black to start with and now I think I agree with you I should revert them. Initially I thought they looked too bulky in black, really I wanted to make them 2 pixels thick but I got accused of heresy :mrgreen: so lighter border was my compromise. The braces visible from the other side of the mast though, those I would leave in grey borders to differentiate.

[Profile] [Quote]
Steampower1
Post subject: Re: USS Bainbridge DLGN/CGN-25Posted: November 3rd, 2021, 2:10 am
Super! I recall the Bainbridge from the early 60s. Mush talk about it being one of the first Atomic Navy ships. Actually had an Aurora model, about 1/700 scale. Went well with my Aurora Enterprise but the much larger Revell Longbeach was way too big. Do some of the50s and 60s conversions so common back then.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: USS Bainbridge DLGN/CGN-25Posted: November 3rd, 2021, 8:54 am
VC_ wrote: *
So, they were black to start with and now I think I agree with you I should revert them. Initially I thought they looked too bulky in black, really I wanted to make them 2 pixels thick but I got accused of heresy :mrgreen: so lighter border was my compromise. The braces visible from the other side of the mast though, those I would leave in grey borders to differentiate.
Yep two pixel thick would be heresy!
Lattices are a pain to get right on larger masts, but we like a good challenge, drawing can't be easy all the time!

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
VC_
Post subject: Re: USS Bainbridge DLGN/CGN-25Posted: November 3rd, 2021, 9:06 am
Thank you all for your comments! Updated original post as per the above feedback.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 16 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: