Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 2  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2
erik_t
Post subject: Re: USS Bainbridge DLGN/CGN-25Posted: November 3rd, 2021, 9:19 pm
The drawing seems to indicate that Mk 10 could fire Tartar/Standard-MR as well, which is not correct. She should have a (probably?) SH-2 airborne to indicate the helo deck. There are a few artistic quibbles (I think the knuckle shading is excessive). Otherwise, great to see Bainbridge represented!

[Profile] [Quote]
VC_
Post subject: Re: USS Bainbridge DLGN/CGN-25Posted: November 3rd, 2021, 10:45 pm
erik_t wrote: *
The drawing seems to indicate that Mk 10 could fire Tartar/Standard-MR as well, which is not correct. She should have a (probably?) SH-2 airborne to indicate the helo deck. There are a few artistic quibbles (I think the knuckle shading is excessive). Otherwise, great to see Bainbridge represented!
Can you explain what you mean about the launchers? I'm not an expert on the types, I thought I used the correct ones (Mk. 10 Terrier GMLS) from the wiki but I'll happily change them. The missiles hovering above are Terriers, RIM-2C+ "Late Terrier", taken from the wiki as well. Should they be the RIM-2A/B "Early Terrier"?

Knuckle shading excessive in extent, darkness of colour, or just for existing at all?

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: USS Bainbridge DLGN/CGN-25Posted: November 3rd, 2021, 11:14 pm
I think the knuckle shading is excessive in darkness but correct in extent. This is personal preference.

What you've kind of drawn for the missiles is both the as-launched two-stage missile (shown vertical) and the free-flying second stage alone (shown horizontal). There's no reason that this shouldn't have been the standard (no pun intended) that we established a million years ago, but I think almost without exception, missiles and rockets are shown exclusively in their as-launched configuration. Note the Terrier booster aft closeout is aligned with the lower edge of the ASROC fins.

I've also added the nuclear depth charge version of ASROC, which was in service by 1962.

While I'm thinking about style things, the SPS-48 and SPS-29 are both very ancient parts (late 2000s, I think) and they could use some attention :)

[ img ]

edit: whoops, exported as a jpeg, but you get the idea. Nuclear ASROC is available on the wiki here: http://shipbucket.com/wiki/index.php/RUR-5_ASROC

[Profile] [Quote]
VC_
Post subject: Re: USS Bainbridge DLGN/CGN-25Posted: November 4th, 2021, 10:59 am
Thank you very much, I made the missiles style-guide compliant now.

For the radars, the SPS-52 is from here: http://www.shipbucket.com/wiki/index.php/AN/SPS-39 and the SPS-37 is from the big sheet as there's no separate entry for it. If these wiki components are not up to date, could you please point me to where I can find improved ones?

And while we're at it, where can I get an SH-2? Can't find it on the wiki either.

I can tone down the shading under the knuckle, but then that colour become non-standard. The hull is already the "shade" colour and the knuckle line is "darkest shade", which leaves only one colour in between (railing) to use.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: USS Bainbridge DLGN/CGN-25Posted: November 4th, 2021, 4:21 pm
There are no updated parts for the radars Erik mentioned, he just suggests they should be updated

[Profile] [Quote]
VC_
Post subject: Re: USS Bainbridge DLGN/CGN-25Posted: November 4th, 2021, 10:28 pm
Oh, I see :D well... I'm hardly qualified to do that, apparently I can't even search the wiki competently.

Other tweaks now incorporated into opening post.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 2  [ 16 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page « 1 2

Jump to: