Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
Gunship
Post subject: USN Forrest Sherman Class DestroyersPosted: December 14th, 2022, 12:53 am
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Shigure
Post subject: Re: USN Forrest Sherman Class DestroyersPosted: December 14th, 2022, 1:13 am
Lovely work!

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: USN Forrest Sherman Class DestroyersPosted: December 14th, 2022, 1:26 am
Beautiful job!

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: USN Forrest Sherman Class DestroyersPosted: December 14th, 2022, 11:39 am
Nice work! but I do have a few minor comments, which I hope you'll find worth it to look into.

- I am not a great fan of those gun barrels (The 5in ones look as if they are very long 76mm ones now, compared to other drawings and the 76mm barrels aren't outlined in black)
- Speaking of things not outlined in black, there are many things that really should be outlined in black that are not. The midship crane for example.
- The aft 5in guns have their shading the wrong way around. Btw, might be me misremembering, but did the Mk 42's on the Forrest Sherman class keep both control cupolas over the ships entire career?
- The flagbox next to the funnel is missing overhang shading under it, as do some of the mast platforms. Next to the 3-1 mounting though, there is some shading with a grey line over it instead of a black line which should be impossible (if there is a grey line there is a bend or a detail, not an overhang, so how can there be shading)
- The shading of the sonar domes seems not to match the shading you used for the hull (especially the SQS-23 seems to follow completely different rules)
- I'm not sure why but the contrast on the Mk 68 FCS seems lower then that of the part on the wiki. it looks a bit bland because of it, might be worth it to look into.
- May I recommend not making the "shadow" on the hull number black, but rather a dark grey?
- Bit of a personal preference, but I personally would make the flaglines a tad darker. They dissapear against the white background and look very stark in contrast to the mast and funnel, almost looking white in places. I slightly darker shade would make that area look more uniform.

[Profile] [Quote]
bugsier_060
Post subject: Re: USN Forrest Sherman Class DestroyersPosted: December 15th, 2022, 10:26 am
V-E-R-Y nice!

[Profile] [Quote]
Gunship
Post subject: Re: USN Forrest Sherman Class DestroyersPosted: December 17th, 2022, 2:24 am
acelanceloet wrote: *
Nice work! but I do have a few minor comments, which I hope you'll find worth it to look into.

- I am not a great fan of those gun barrels (The 5in ones look as if they are very long 76mm ones now, compared to other drawings and the 76mm barrels aren't outlined in black)
- Speaking of things not outlined in black, there are many things that really should be outlined in black that are not. The midship crane for example.
- The aft 5in guns have their shading the wrong way around. Btw, might be me misremembering, but did the Mk 42's on the Forrest Sherman class keep both control cupolas over the ships entire career?
- The flagbox next to the funnel is missing overhang shading under it, as do some of the mast platforms. Next to the 3-1 mounting though, there is some shading with a grey line over it instead of a black line which should be impossible (if there is a grey line there is a bend or a detail, not an overhang, so how can there be shading)
- The shading of the sonar domes seems not to match the shading you used for the hull (especially the SQS-23 seems to follow completely different rules)
- I'm not sure why but the contrast on the Mk 68 FCS seems lower then that of the part on the wiki. it looks a bit bland because of it, might be worth it to look into.
- May I recommend not making the "shadow" on the hull number black, but rather a dark grey?
- Bit of a personal preference, but I personally would make the flaglines a tad darker. They dissapear against the white background and look very stark in contrast to the mast and funnel, almost looking white in places. I slightly darker shade would make that area look more uniform.

Thank you very much for your observations and advice.
I will consider it to improve them.

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: USN Forrest Sherman Class DestroyersPosted: December 17th, 2022, 9:06 am
Good work, but I completely agree with Acelanceloet's remarks, especially the 5in barrels (I think 3-pixel-thickness may be considered mandatory for that calibre - http://shipbucket.com/styleguide#12 ), shading of sonar domes (1970 in particular) and near-total invisibility of flaglines, but I'd also add that 1970 version has some artifacts left, especially near mainmast and above bow.

[Profile] [Quote]
Gunship
Post subject: Re: USN Forrest Sherman Class DestroyersPosted: April 8th, 2023, 1:22 am
Final upgrade
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: USN Forrest Sherman Class DestroyersPosted: April 8th, 2023, 2:48 am
Very nice work!

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: USN Forrest Sherman Class DestroyersPosted: April 8th, 2023, 5:04 am
so long the 5" guns barell is 3 px thick with black outline after shipbucket standards for weapons, I am not going to say anything. I am willing to put my line there. There was a discussion about it before, and it was put in ice then.

I do feel the underwater shading, in the bow area is perhaps a little high

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 11 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: