Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ] 
Drew_Air
Post subject: AFM MALTAPosted: April 5th, 2023, 2:15 pm
AFMs latest Offshore patrol vessel called P71. She is powered by 2 x 5,440 kW (7,300 hp) Wärtsilä diesel engines with Power-take-in and 2 x Rolls-Royce PROMAS controllable-pitch propellers. What are your thoughts?
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Drew_Air
Post subject: Re: AFM MALTAPosted: April 5th, 2023, 2:23 pm
AFMs P61. what do you think?
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: AFM MALTAPosted: April 5th, 2023, 3:45 pm
Drew_Air wrote: *
what do you think?
Well, I think, that (in regards to BOTH works) because they are shown only above the waterline, then You ought to use 1000x330 template ( http://shipbucket.com/wiki/images/1/1b/TemplateS1.png ); You should put name of these ships in the caption, instead of "Offshore patrol vessil" ("vessil"? :? ); the crane on P71 has outline that isn't entirely black; I don't quite like the window shading (though it's not an error, I just don't like it; the black faux "shade" on the hull numbers shouldn't be actually black (because actual black is reserved for contours - black paint is represented by very dark grey); and also in SB by convention (with some exceptions), the hull is represented in darker shade than superstructure - on P71 some of the hull is in the same shade as superstructure (but in this case I could accept it), yet on P61 the way You used two shades on hull IMHO doesn't make much sense in regards to style conventions. Other than these, they seem ok to me, but I wasn't checking their accuracy, and I hope that Heuhen and perhaps Acelanceloet would take a look at them too, as I could have overlooked something.

P.S. And it would be better had You posted them both together in single post.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: AFM MALTAPosted: April 5th, 2023, 5:33 pm
except what is commented, I have nothing much to say except:

- hull should be in darker color then the superstructure (hull color should be in same color as the lightest shading color used)
- Railings must be in a darker color then the ship and the darkest color used as shading.
- The should be no shading on a window, have you seen an window with almost no overhang having shade.
- you should be able to see the superstructure behind the life raft, or the hanger. They would be in same color style as rest of the ship.
- blue color on windows are a bit to grey, we try to imitate how a window would look like at a distance.
- Shading of overhang is way wrong, are the overhang sticking 5 meters out of the superstructure? Normal shading style for overhang after Shipbucket style guide is 1 very dark shade color and 2 lighter dark shade color, under overhang.
- Surfaces that aren't 90 degrees from where we are looking are drawn with an dark grey color and not black, black is used as contour color.

Patrol boat P61 is an Italian Diciotti-class, Maltas class name is P61 So the title would be:
Malta, P61 class
(Drew_Air)

Malta, OPV748 class
P71
(Drew_Air)

For the underwater hull, it's easy to find information on the internett for that, even Wikipedia have information, I can already see several things that differ from the illustration drawings, make sure you match them with photos (Large illustraion bellow) Notice how bridge and superstructure is formed:
https://i2.wp.com/navalpost.com/wp-cont ... .png?ssl=1
https://i1.wp.com/navalpost.com/wp-cont ... .png?ssl=1
https://i2.wp.com/navalpost.com/wp-cont ... .png?ssl=1

For P61 class, (Dicotti class), you can look at pictures of Dicotti class for the hull:
[ img ]
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: AFM MALTAPosted: April 5th, 2023, 6:00 pm
Actually, I have to remark about Heuhen remarks:
- overhang shade - actually the Style Guide says: "... The artist should use one of the dark shade colors in 1-3 pixel blocks underneath to represent the shadow cast by the overhang..." ( http://shipbucket.com/styleguide#53 ) - the way Heuhen described is also accepted, though.
- "Patrol boat P61 is an Italian Diciotti-class, Maltas class name is P61 So the title would be:
Malta, P61 class
(Drew_Air)"
so since it's Diciotti-class, then it ought to be rather
Malta, Diciotti-class
P61
(Drew_Air)

but actually it would be sufficient to have:
Malta, P61
(Drew_Air)

;)

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: AFM MALTAPosted: April 5th, 2023, 7:20 pm
eswube wrote: *
Actually, I have to remark about Heuhen remarks:
- overhang shade - actually the Style Guide says: "... The artist should use one of the dark shade colors in 1-3 pixel blocks underneath to represent the shadow cast by the overhang..." ( http://shipbucket.com/styleguide#53 ) - the way Heuhen described is also accepted, though.
- "Patrol boat P61 is an Italian Diciotti-class, Maltas class name is P61 So the title would be:
Malta, P61 class
(Drew_Air)"
so since it's Diciotti-class, then it ought to be rather
Malta, Diciotti-class
P61
(Drew_Air)

but actually it would be sufficient to have:
Malta, P61
(Drew_Air)

;)
That work as well ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Drew_Air
Post subject: Re: AFM MALTAPosted: April 6th, 2023, 8:13 am
Alr i will try and fix those problems.

[Profile] [Quote]
Drew_Air
Post subject: Re: AFM MALTAPosted: April 6th, 2023, 12:22 pm
I hope I managed to make them better.
[ img ]
[ img ]

Last edited by Drew_Air on May 4th, 2023, 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: AFM MALTAPosted: April 13th, 2023, 8:46 pm
Sorry for late reply.
It's much better now, but I still don't really get the logic behind that darker area in the bottom-front area of P61's hull (above waterline).

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs”

Jump to: