Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 4  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 4 »
BvonTeapot
Post subject: Italian Archive "Revival" ThreadPosted: April 22nd, 2023, 6:05 pm
Hello everyone,

In order to reduce the amount of individual posts that I will be doing, I have created this general thread to include the new drawings. This project is an attempt to help update the Italian section of the archive, since a large majority of the ships on there are likely 10+ years old and are showing their age.

Anyone is welcome to join, and I will post resources as I come across them and drawings as I finish them.

The first set that I finished were the Duca degli Abruzzi sisters, and to start off this thread I have included Sparviero (P420) sporting the new colour scheme I created for Cold War Italian ships.

As always, if there are errors that I have missed or you have helpful resources, please let me know!

[ img ]

Last edited by BvonTeapot on April 22nd, 2023, 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
BvonTeapot
Post subject: Re: Italian Archive "Revival" ThreadPosted: April 22nd, 2023, 6:08 pm
Colour scheme for Cold War ships, based on various images and models on Google and in books.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Italian Archive "Revival" ThreadPosted: April 22nd, 2023, 6:34 pm
A commendable effort.
I have some remarks, though.

Fist is of purely formal nature: standard template, PLEASE.
SB template must not be smaller than 1000 x 330 if ship is shown only above the waterline, or 1000 x 385 if it's "full" - like one here. ( http://shipbucket.com/wiki/index.php/Sh ... _Templates )
(I'm sorry, but after the problem with Olekit24's works, I'm going to be very strict about such "formalities")

Second, regarding the drawing itself, is that on your drawing the hull is (from the bow) a very shaky arc, then a straight line parallel to axis of symmetry, and gets narrow aft, but it seems to me, that it should be more of an arc all over - and particularly I mean that place where "bow arc" joins the "straight line" in the middle - I strongly suggest You make it smoother. ;)
http://www.modelwarships.com/reviews/sh ... eview.html

And lastly, regarding the color palette - one thing that the "main" colors (light highlight/highlight/base/shade/dark shade) seem to me to be almost entirely different colors each, instead of being simply same color of varied brightness.
Also, as I suggested (to other users) elsewhere, I'd make that brightness variance regular - and larger than You did, to more effectively represent shades/contrast ("Lum" values - whatever it is, but in Paint I use that's what shows brightness - they are 219/213/206/190/181 - I'd make them separate by value of 20). Also, You have separate "base" and "above-water shade" for hull. Either I'd use the same color as for superstructures, just "one step darker" - that's the way it's suggested in Style Guide (so what's "base" on superstructure would be "highlight" on hull), or - and that's what I'm doing - I'd indeed make separate set for hull, but still using same color, just with different brightness values than for superstructure (so if a "base" for superstructures is, say 100, then for "hull" would be, for example 90 - a "shade" for superstructure would be 80 and for hull 70 etc.)

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Italian Archive "Revival" ThreadPosted: April 22nd, 2023, 6:38 pm
The bow should also have same color as rest of the hull, we do not shade the bow

[Profile] [Quote]
BvonTeapot
Post subject: Re: Italian Archive "Revival" ThreadPosted: April 22nd, 2023, 7:07 pm
eswube wrote: *
A commendable effort.
I have some remarks, though.

Fist is of purely formal nature: standard template, PLEASE.
SB template must not be smaller than 1000 x 330 if ship is shown only above the waterline, or 1000 x 385 if it's "full" - like one here. ( http://shipbucket.com/wiki/index.php/Sh ... _Templates )
(I'm sorry, but after the problem with Olekit24's works, I'm going to be very strict about such "formalities")

Second, regarding the drawing itself, is that on your drawing the hull is (from the bow) a very shaky arc, then a straight line parallel to axis of symmetry, and gets narrow aft, but it seems to me, that it should be more of an arc all over - and particularly I mean that place where "bow arc" joins the "straight line" in the middle - I strongly suggest You make it smoother. ;)
http://www.modelwarships.com/reviews/sh ... eview.html

And lastly, regarding the color palette - one thing that the "main" colors (light highlight/highlight/base/shade/dark shade) seem to me to be almost entirely different colors each, instead of being simply same color of varied brightness.
Also, as I suggested (to other users) elsewhere, I'd make that brightness variance regular - and larger than You did, to more effectively represent shades/contrast ("Lum" values - whatever it is, but in Paint I use that's what shows brightness - they are 219/213/206/190/181 - I'd make them separate by value of 20). Also, You have separate "base" and "above-water shade" for hull. Either I'd use the same color as for superstructures, just "one step darker" - that's the way it's suggested in Style Guide (so what's "base" on superstructure would be "highlight" on hull), or - and that's what I'm doing - I'd indeed make separate set for hull, but still using same color, just with different brightness values than for superstructure (so if a "base" for superstructures is, say 100, then for "hull" would be, for example 90 - a "shade" for superstructure would be 80 and for hull 70 etc.)

Hopefully this resolves that issue!

For the colour palette, apologies for that as I have never done one before. I'll get back on that and fix those issues.

Last edited by BvonTeapot on April 23rd, 2023, 3:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Italian Archive "Revival" ThreadPosted: April 22nd, 2023, 7:20 pm
Looks better now for sure.

[Profile] [Quote]
BvonTeapot
Post subject: Re: Italian Archive "Revival" ThreadPosted: April 23rd, 2023, 3:43 am
eswube wrote: *
Looks better now for sure.
While editing it for an AU, I noticed some artefacts that were not there before - must've been during the uploading process.

I do not want to be the next guy that causes that issue, so here is a re-upload.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
BvonTeapot
Post subject: Italian Ironclad FormidabilePosted: June 12th, 2023, 2:59 pm
[ img ]

Italy's first ironclad that was originally ordered for the Kingdom of Sardinia and finished in time to join the newly created Regia Marina.

If there are any errors, please let me know!

[Profile] [Quote]
BvonTeapot
Post subject: Italian Ironclad Affondatore (1866, 1873 and 1888 refit)Posted: June 19th, 2023, 3:01 pm
[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Italian Archive "Revival" ThreadPosted: June 22nd, 2023, 4:21 pm
Nice work. Keep it up!

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 4  [ 34 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page 1 2 3 4 »

Jump to: