Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 184 of 241  [ 2401 posts ]  Go to page « 1182 183 184 185 186241 »
reytuerto
Post subject: Re: Merchant ShipsPosted: December 4th, 2016, 3:15 am
Good afternoon:
This is the first container ship (build in 1986) from the slips of SIMA, the shipyard of the Peruvian Navy. The vessel was built for CPV the state navigation company and was named Presidente Jose Pardo.
[ img ]
I am somewhat confused because the stern crane es suspended from the funnel in an odd arrangement, and sincerely I don't know if my interpretation was correct or wrong (the blueprint was not of quality). In a couple of pictures I saw the cranes painted red (anti rust paint?), but I remember that the superstructures in CPV ships were white, so I don't accuratelly know if this is historically correct (maybe a base red paint prior to the white final color?), afortunatelly, the red cranes looks fine ;) . In the original drawing all the containers are of the small size ones, and I don't know either if it is feasible make the mix of big and small containers. Finally, I am also confused with the trident like antenae (first of all, is it an antenae?) behind the funnel. I will appreciate any comment.
Credits: I mimic Alvama's shadowing for the bulbous bow, and also for the containers. Thanks.

PS: One question. In civilian ships, what flag usualy is in the bowsprit staff instead the bowsprit jack?

Last edited by reytuerto on December 8th, 2016, 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: Merchant ShipsPosted: December 4th, 2016, 10:18 pm
An excellent piece of art IMHO. That ship as the Peruvian Presidente Jose Pardo, was quite camera-shy. Almost all pictures are as Kwantung or CGM Kwantung. Here is apicture from the aft section to help you with the shape of the aft derrick arrangement
[ img ] as found in Shipspotting. Also of note is the fact that the trident shaped mast disappeared from the ship by 1989 when sold to China Navigation Co. (John Swire & Sons)
Most merchant ships carry the national flag as jack if any at all

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
reytuerto
Post subject: Re: Merchant ShipsPosted: December 5th, 2016, 2:02 pm
Thanks, thanks Novice! I have not, until now, seen an so strange arrangement for a crane (the post that I suppose were for that stern crane was, as seen in the picture, the stairs of the aft superstructure. I`m going to fix it. Fortunatelly, the other cranes are red, so I hope that the original color of that structures were also red. Cheers!

PS. Edited, some awful grammar mistakes.

Last edited by reytuerto on December 6th, 2016, 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
citizen lambda
Post subject: Re: Merchant ShipsPosted: December 6th, 2016, 7:34 am
The overall drawing is a good start, but I feel that it lacks detail to some extent. I understand the dearth of sources, but the picture posted above shows several superficial differences: the legs of the cranes, the solid railing aft, the shape of the stern hull, the cable support for the cranes, the top platform of the mast...
Still, good job on reproducing the shape and the livery!

[Profile] [Quote]
reytuerto
Post subject: Re: Merchant ShipsPosted: December 6th, 2016, 2:30 pm
Yes, that`s true! The cranes`arms are also short! And all the stairs arrangement is missing (In the base drawing I thought that the stairs were the post supporting the aft crane :? ). I think that the stacom bulb in the top of the mast was put there after it was chinese, but sincerelly in the pic as a peruvian ship, I can`t determine if it is there. Also there is only one window in the level under the bridge. And also, the exhaust are shorter. Thanks, Citizen Lambda for your useful comments! I appreciate both your comment and Novice`s for improving my drawing.

PS: One question, independent of the drawing. Is this distribution of the cranes (what is the real difference between derrick and crane?) normal in a container ship? I mean, the huge derricks are not "stealing" space for more containers? (For example, Emma Maersk is almost unobstructed from forecastle to superstructure). I have to lern lots of things ;) . Thanks.

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Merchant ShipsPosted: December 6th, 2016, 7:38 pm
Nice work.

[Profile] [Quote]
citizen lambda
Post subject: Re: Merchant ShipsPosted: December 7th, 2016, 11:20 am
reytuerto wrote:
One question, independent of the drawing. Is this distribution of the cranes (what is the real difference between derrick and crane?) normal in a container ship? I mean, the huge derricks are not "stealing" space for more containers? (For example, Emma Maersk is almost unobstructed from forecastle to superstructure). I have to lern lots of things ;) . Thanks.
If you look at the picture, the crane bridges (or whatever they are called) sit outside of the container storage area. They obstruct loading and unloading but not storage, and I guess the cranes are positioned so that they can handle containers underneath each other's bridge. Otherwise there is some deck-based handling system to shove containers under the cranes and retrieve them.
Most container ships don't have their own cranes at all and rely on pierside installations. This leads me to assume that the Jose Pardo was designed for more austere ports, such as may have been prevalent in Peru in the 1980s. So obviously, you are going to sacrifice payload and handling rate by adding the crates, but it allows you to carry our own unloading terminal to any unequipped harbor. A smart choice in conditions where it is necessary.

[Profile] [Quote]
reytuerto
Post subject: Re: Merchant ShipsPosted: December 7th, 2016, 3:24 pm
Thanks for your smart answer. I have not thougth about the peruvian harbour conditions and its influence over the ship design. As I said, I have to lern a lot. ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
reytuerto
Post subject: Re: Merchant ShipsPosted: December 8th, 2016, 2:50 am
Good afternoon.
It is already fixed. The stern crane arrangemente is more alike the picture as Kwantung, the arms of two of the deck cranes are longer, the stairs aft the superstructure is there, and some other details. Thanks for the feedback Eswube, thanks for the comments Novice and Citizen Lambda. Cheers.

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: Merchant ShipsPosted: February 16th, 2017, 10:35 pm
SS President Quezon of the Philippine President Line, was built by the New York Shipbuilding Corp. for the US Maritime Board as passenger/cargo liner, in 1921 and was named Bay State. In 1923 was bought by the Dollar Steamship Lines and renamed President Madison. The ship was sailing under the Admiral Oriental Line banner (a Robert Dollar subsidiary), and in 1938 the Dollar name was changed to American President Lines. A year later the ship was sold to the Philippine President Line and renamed President Quezon, still sailing on the Admiral Oriental itinerary, but by than known as American Mail Lines. In January of 1940 the ship was wrecked in the Riukiu Islands of Japan.

[ img ]

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 184 of 241  [ 2401 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page « 1182 183 184 185 186241 »

Jump to: