Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 32 of 36  [ 360 posts ]  Go to page « 130 31 32 33 3436 »
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: Small ShipsPosted: July 4th, 2021, 1:58 pm
Thanks all, now for what would be a solid contender for the RAN's smallest commissioned vessel, Riawe which is the second oldest floating vessel to have ever served as of 2021. Named HMAS Riawe during WW2, she was derisively known as HMAS Ridiculous as her 9t displacement only afforded her a .303 Vickers and small arms, she would patrol the approaches to the Tamar River during the war including an alleged underwater contact which she most likely was attacking a whale. She would go on to be used as a rescue craft and target tug as well until 1944 when she was returned to her former owner who was also her wartime skipper. Converted into a fishing boat she is still afloat in South Tasmania as of writing in good condition.

[ img ]

[ img ]

more to come in her post-war configurations

"Loitering on the High Seas" (Named after the good ship Rodondo)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Small ShipsPosted: July 6th, 2021, 9:24 pm
Excellent additions! :)

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Small ShipsPosted: July 20th, 2021, 8:06 pm
Nothing special, just an update (repaint + changes to few minor details) of my very old work (which can be still seen on the page 5 of this thread).

USA, US Coast Guard 40-foot Utility Boat
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Blue_Funnel
Post subject: Re: Small ShipsPosted: July 28th, 2021, 11:44 am
SY Opty
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Small ShipsPosted: July 29th, 2021, 6:55 pm
@Blue_Funnel
Nice work with the Opty! :)

And now something completely different... a dredger. Probably Shipbucket's first-ever. ;)
A number of such dredgers were built in the Netherlands, at Werf Conrad in Haarlem at the end of XIX and beginning of XX century for waterways administrations of various rivers of the Russian Empire, including Dneper, Volga and Wisła.
As usual with such vessels, source material is far from perfect, but I tried to to my best.

Russia, Dneprovskaya 5-ya
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Small ShipsPosted: July 30th, 2021, 2:06 pm
Excellent work eswube, I think this might be our first dredger.
Very well drawn to your usual high standards for a small vessel.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Small ShipsPosted: August 6th, 2021, 9:17 pm
Thank You Hood! :)

A small, but long-lived riverine tugboat Kormoran was built in 1898 at R. Holtz Dampf-Boot & Maschinen-Fabrik in Hamburg for Königlische Weichsel-Strombauwervaltung (Royal Prussian Wisła Water-engineering Administration) of Danzig (Gdańsk). It was 14,32 meters long, was originally powered by a 60 hp double-expansion steam engine and primarily serviced dredging equipment, between 1902 and 1906 being based at Thorn (Toruń) and then back in Gdanzig. In the inter-war period it was used by Wasserstrassebauamt Elbing (Elbląg) and Wasserstrassebauamt Marienburg (Malbork) until sunk in December 1944. In 1945 it was raised, inspected and declared repairable. As Sławomir (popular male name) it was refitted at Państwowy Warsztat i Stocznia Pleniewo (State Workshops and Shipyard at Pleniewo) with 105 hp diesel engine (of unknown type) and in late 1946 assigned to Państwowy Zarząd Wodny (State Waterways Administration) branch in Malbork. In 1951 transferred to Rejon Dróg Wodnych (RDW, Waterways Area administration) in Elbląg ,and then briefly to RDW Toruń and later RDW Gorzów Wielkopolski in 1954. In 1958 Sławomir was deeply rebuilt and equipped with 135 hp CZNM Škoda 3L160 diesel engine, after which Sławomir was attached to RDW Szczecin, but still homeported at Gorzów. In 1965 it was donated to Liga Obrony Kraju (National Defence League - mass paramilitary organization) as a training ship, which used it until around 1980 when it was struck off the register. Then it was put ashore as a monument and was becoming increasingly derelict, until in 2011 group of enthusiasts initiated ships reconstruction (I have to admit I'm uncertain at what stage it currently is, but I know that significant shipyard works were so far made).

Unfortunately I couldn't find a good ("drawing-sufficient") pictures of Sławomir in the post-war, modernized form (it had heavily rebuilt superstructure) except in the on-shore derelict condition.

Germany, Kormoran, 1915
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Blue_Funnel
Post subject: Re: Small ShipsPosted: August 7th, 2021, 3:20 pm
Very nice ships, eswube.

[Profile] [Quote]
reytuerto
Post subject: Re: Small ShipsPosted: August 8th, 2021, 2:22 pm
Excellent drawing, B! I think that this little vessels are extremely demanding, and don't forgive to much, if any mistake. And your little steamers are fantastic!

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Small ShipsPosted: August 8th, 2021, 7:04 pm
Thanks for kind words! :)

Frankly, I'm not horribly satisfied with how some of these smallest vessels turn out in SB scale - that's why I started doing some of them in FD as well (Kormoran will be posted soon too).

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 32 of 36  [ 360 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page « 130 31 32 33 3436 »

Jump to: