Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ] 
ReiAyanami
Post subject: Brandenburg class battleshipPosted: July 19th, 2011, 8:45 pm
Here we are. The Brandenburgs were the first German battleships, and quite strangely they are sort of dreadnoughts :lol:
They had a uniform artillery in the centerline which is very interesting, but the center 11in turret had short barrel guns because of the superstructure around it. Strange. 2 were sold to the Ottoman Empire and I'll make a version of them too, they were a bit different by then (SMS Kurfürst Friedrich Wilhelm/ Barbaros Hayreddin). They took part in the Balkan wars where their performance was very poor.
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Brandenburg class battleshipPosted: July 19th, 2011, 8:48 pm
if they had short guns (and could rotate by that) I think your centerline turret should be trained aft (of front)

[Profile] [Quote]
ReiAyanami
Post subject: Re: Brandenburg class battleshipPosted: July 19th, 2011, 8:52 pm
Not in the plans they are not. (Resized) Plus they might need to be raised to turn
In every single plan available they are shown like that.

[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Obsydian Shade
Post subject: Re: Brandenburg class battleshipPosted: July 19th, 2011, 11:12 pm
Outstanding, and your best work to date, which is impressive indeed, after your Nassau Class. I'm looking forward to seeing the Turkish versions, which I assume are modernized. If I understand it right, one of them lasted till the 1930s.

They are a most interesting design, and as I understand it, a bit too far ahead of their time, as their lack of a heavy secondary battery was considered a hinderance at the time, as most hits on enemy ships were expected to come from secondary guns, given the presumed battle ranges (short) and ROF (slow) of heavy guns of the period. Later on, this would all change, of course, as Fire control evolved.

As always, I'm looking forward to seeing your next project. Though not battleships, the Odin Class CDS are in the general family tree and would make excellent companions.

If it's close enough to cast a shadow, I think the flying house wins initiative.

Bronies are like the Forsworn. Everyone agrees that they are a problem but nobody wants to expend the energy rooting them out.

"That is a very graphic analogy which aids understanding wonderfully while being, strictly speaking, wrong in every possible way."

[Profile] [Quote]
ReiAyanami
Post subject: Re: Brandenburg class battleshipPosted: July 20th, 2011, 12:22 am
Thank you thank you! Alvama has already done the Siegfried class which is identical and some even put them all as one type.
http://shipbucket.com/images.php?dir=Re ... ebrand.png
I'll might nick his flag though.

[Profile] [Quote]
ReiAyanami
Post subject: Re: Brandenburg class battleshipPosted: July 20th, 2011, 2:05 am
Ok here is battleship Turgut Reis ex Friedrich Wilhelm. Not sure if it is 100% ready but I'll check more thoroughly tomorrow.
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: Brandenburg class battleshipPosted: July 20th, 2011, 7:17 am
Looking good. The all solid (non-white) colored flags like the Ottoman one doesen't really need the grey outlining. Such is used mainly to seperate the white surfaces from our white background

[Profile] [Quote]
Carthaginian
Post subject: Re: Brandenburg class battleshipPosted: July 20th, 2011, 4:26 pm
Remember that these ships, like the Japanese Kawachi class, do not technically have a uniform battery. The guns of Q turret are 35 calibers long, and the guns of A and Y turrets are 40 calibers long- enabling Q turret to rotate into either broadside. This is taken from Conway's All the World's Fighting Ships 1860-1905 on page 247. The same entry also states that the guns of Q turret did not have sufficient clearance from deck structures and caused blast damage (a problem with many ships with Q turrets), and agrees with earlier observations that the 105mm secondaries were considered woefully inadequate for the time.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Brandenburg class battleshipPosted: July 21st, 2011, 7:51 pm
Excellent work, all these German pre-deads have been stunning work.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs”

Jump to: