Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 12  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 512 »
eswube
Post subject: Re: Small coastal combattants of the Polish Navy and Coast GPosted: November 5th, 2011, 8:05 pm
Ah, now I can see it. :)
Interesting, that our D-3 and my D-3 differ a bit with their size (I compared). I checked around and saw that at least some sources say that it's lenght is 21,7m while my said that it was about 1m longer (difference between lenght on the waterline and total lenght perhaps?).
And Thanks for kind words about my newest drawing. :)

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: Small coastal combattants of the Polish Navy and Coast GPosted: November 5th, 2011, 8:21 pm
there migth be errors in scaling. Back when I drew it, I used paint and its crappy scaling tool that migth give pixel or few differences what the actuall length migth be.
But there indeed migth also be differences in sources. I fail to remmber what I used back when i drew it unfortuanetly.

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Small coastal combattants of the Polish Navy and Coast GPosted: November 6th, 2011, 6:24 pm
Maybe there was an error in scaling, maybe in sources, maybe combination of both. Who knows? I hope we can both live with it. ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: Small coastal combattants of the Polish Navy and Coast GPosted: November 6th, 2011, 7:13 pm
Yeah, there will always be those, expecially when drawing small stuff.

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Small coastal combattants of the Polish Navy and Coast GPosted: November 9th, 2011, 1:17 pm
Here are two coast guard patrol vessels: DP-51 and DP-52. They were both former tugboats of the US Army, made in 1943 and used during Operation Overlord as tugs for elements of Mulberry harbour. In the 1946 they were transferred by UNRRA to Poland and initially served in GUM - Główny Urząd Morski (Main Maritime Administration), then in port administration of Gdańsk and Gdynia. In 1949 they were transferred to coast guard.

DP-51 was built by Consolidated Shipbuilding Corporation in Morris Heights, New York. During it's wartime service it was named ST-760 and at some point (?) "Peder Ambjornsen". During the service in GUM it was named "Delfin". In coast guard it was also temporarily renamed "Wał Pomorski". It's service as patrol ship ended in 1966 when it was converted to auxiliary tanker Z-1 and served at least until the 1980s.

[ img ]

DP-52 was built by American Shipbuilding Co. in Buffalo, New York. During it's wartime service it was named ST-766 and at some point (?) "Roberto M. Gonzales". During the service in GUM it was named "Rekin". It's service in coast guard ended in 1957 when it was transferred to civilian service in Szczecin and Kołobrzeg as a pleasure-boat and finally stricken around 1970.

[ img ]

Note: flag with green borders mean border/coast guard.

Last edited by eswube on January 11th, 2015, 8:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
WhyMe
Post subject: Re: Small coastal combattants of the Polish Navy and Coast GPosted: November 10th, 2011, 7:25 am
Very nice, I like it. Keep doing what you're doing 'cause it's working :)

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Small coastal combattants of the Polish Navy and Coast GPosted: November 11th, 2011, 7:52 pm
WhyMe - thank You very much. :)

More Polish coast guard patrol vessels below.

First of them was built in Germany as a fishing cutter and in 1949 was impounded by Polish authorities for repeated violations of exclusive economic zone and pressed into service in coast guard as DP-53. Initially it was armed only with machine guns, but shortly after it was armed with - rather strangely located - 37mm universal gun in place of forward mast. In 1950 ship was temporarily renamed "Komuna Paryska". It's service in the coast guard ended in 1959 when it was transferred to one of shipyards as auxiliary unit and renamed "Doker".
Note: due to incomplete data (even its lenght is uncertain), it's underwater part is actually my own creation, also, the 37mm from the templates was hugely oversized and I had to scale it down to 0,8 so it would more-or-less fit where it should.

[ img ]

Next vessel was also built in Germany, in 1944 by Gebr. Kroeger in Warnemünde. After the war it was transferred to Poland by UNRRA and in 1949 entered service as "Celnik I" in Gdynia customs office. In the same year it was transferred to coast guard as DP-54 (temporarily also named "Dzierżyński") where it served until 1965. Then it was transferred to Pańtwowy Instytut Hydrologiczno-Meteorologiczny (State Hydrological and Meteorological Institute) under name "Kra II" and four years later scrapped.

[ img ]

DP-55 and DP-56 were built in late 1949 in Poland as ordinary fishing cutters of the KG-177 class by Stocznia Rybacka (Fishery Shipyard) in Gdynia. After short service in fisheries as "Baca" and "Juhas", they were pressed into coast guard as DP-55 (and temporarily also name "Górnik") and DP-56 respectively, where they both served until 1959. Later DP-55 was renamed "Westerplatte" and served as a training ship in Liga Przyjaciół Żołnierza (League of Friends of Soldier - mass organization of paramilitary character, in 1962 renamed to Liga Obrony Kraju - Homeland Defence League) and in 1976 was again renamed, this time to "Wła 76" and (as the new name suggest) returned to it's original work as fishing cutter. Fate of DP-56 is unknown except for the fact that at some point it was named "Botwin".

[ img ]

Last of this group of ships was built as a tugboat in 1943 in Norway by Kristiansand Mekaniska Verkstad and initially was used by Germans (name unknown). Since 1946 it served as a tugboat in Polish merchant marine under name "Leon". In 1949 it was transferred to coast guard as DP-86 (also temporarily "Tkacz") where it served until 1964. Then it was transferred to Liga Obrony Kraju as training ship "Niedźwiedź", and some years later to Gdynia shipyard as tugboat again, when it was renamed "Bronisław". In 1981 it was rebuilt as pleasure boat, until 1984 for shipyard workers, later as a floating hotel. Since 1998 in private hands. In 2008 it was allegedly sunk in Jastarnia port (act of deliberate vandalism?).

[ img ]

Last edited by eswube on January 11th, 2015, 8:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: Small coastal combattants of the Polish Navy and Coast GPosted: November 12th, 2011, 7:35 am
Very nice and informative eswube.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: Small coastal combattants of the Polish Navy and Coast GPosted: November 12th, 2011, 6:40 pm
Very nice elegant drawings; and yes, we can (still) see good drawings in SB scale of small ships :)

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Small coastal combattants of the Polish Navy and Coast GPosted: November 13th, 2011, 5:48 pm
Thank You for nice comments. I'm trying to do my best. :)

Portsmouth Bill - I think, that small ships seem to be rather underrepresented on SB - not surprising, since they aren't as (visually) impressive as, say, major warships like carriers, battleships or cruisers, but that doesn't mean that they aren't interesting and worth adding them here.
I'm very glad You like my attempts at drawing some of them.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 12  [ 116 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 512 »

Jump to: