Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 3  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 »
erik_t
Post subject: Re: FF-1049 U.S.S. Koelsch - Garcia-Clas FrigatePosted: February 13th, 2012, 4:33 am
Colosseum wrote:
Huh, I never knew that. I thought they were double screw UNTIL the OHP when they adopted a single screw.
The whole point throughout the postwar DE evolution was that the ships could be built in numbers and in a hurry, and traditionally the biggest bottleneck of small warship production was the cutting of main reduction gearsets. It is (or was) much easier from an industrial point of view to make one big gearset rather than two small ones, so all of the postwar DE(G)s had single screws. Note that diesels were considered too noisy for ASW operations postwar, so the fact that diesels did not require reduction gearsets was not helpful.

As time passed, it became more and more clear that these DEs could never be built rapidly in a mobilization-ship sort of sense, and any future war seemed more and more likely to be fought only with the equipment onhand. Any sort of rapid-production industrial bottleneck lost importance. However, the advent of (or prevalence of) the COGAG plant in the USN functionally required the Perry to have a single screw, as a two-turbine two-shaft plant would require one screw to be trailed for maximum economy at convoy speeds.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hawkeye
Post subject: Re: FF-1049 U.S.S. Koelsch - Garcia-Clas FrigatePosted: February 13th, 2012, 10:20 am
I have changed the position of the life rafts nearby the bridge like you can see on the pics
but I have forgotten to delete them on the older position. So here's the final version.

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: FF-1049 U.S.S. Koelsch - Garcia-Clas FrigatePosted: February 13th, 2012, 4:22 pm
As discussed by PM, please remove my name from the credits.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hawkeye
Post subject: Re: FF-1049 U.S.S. Koelsch - Garcia-Clas FrigatePosted: February 13th, 2012, 7:20 pm
I have removed erik from the crediting 'Cause he want it so.
I think he have worked on the drawing too but it is his wish and that why I have do it.
Here's the new upload. I have changed the screw 'Cause it wasn't the right one.
-Michael-

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: FF-1049 U.S.S. Koelsch - Garcia-Clas FrigatePosted: February 13th, 2012, 7:22 pm
No. That screw is awful. Do not use it, ever.

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: FF-1049 U.S.S. Koelsch - Garcia-Clas FrigatePosted: February 13th, 2012, 8:23 pm
The guns that you used first were the correct guns to use.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hawkeye
Post subject: Re: FF-1049 U.S.S. Koelsch - Garcia-Clas FrigatePosted: February 13th, 2012, 9:31 pm
@ erik_t:

I cannot use the screw from the Oliver Hazard Perry-Class 'Cause they're not "old" enough
(modern shaping). I have used the screw from the Knox-Class.

@ TimothyC:

Ya, have used the "old" version from an earlier sheet first.
Huh?? They are the right ones now??
I can see the darker roofs on the first pic!!

[Profile] [Quote]
Wolfman
Post subject: Re: FF-1049 U.S.S. Koelsch - Garcia-Clas FrigatePosted: February 13th, 2012, 9:39 pm
Very nice work.

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: FF-1049 U.S.S. Koelsch - Garcia-Clas FrigatePosted: February 13th, 2012, 10:03 pm
Use the screw from your first post, and use the guns from your first post, but darken the tops. I'd also look at the boats on the USN sheet located here, and pick the best one. Also, to the best of my knowledge, the ships do have an (extendable) hanger and were deployed with embarked helos on a regular basis. Because of that, the helicopter should be shown as landed.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hawkeye
Post subject: Re: FF-1049 U.S.S. Koelsch - Garcia-Clas FrigatePosted: February 13th, 2012, 10:07 pm
Yep, it's in progress. I'm "switching" between the Koelsch and the Joseph K. Taussig.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 3  [ 24 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 »

Jump to: