Bombhead
Post subject: HMS Tiger and BlakePosted: October 30th, 2010, 10:59 am
Just noticed I got the dates on the drawings on the wrong ones :oops:

[ img ]

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: HMS Tiger and BlakePosted: October 30th, 2010, 11:43 am
Great work, good looking ships with that 1950s charm of big auto guns and big radars. The last of the pre-minuturised electronics ships. A real trip down memory lane. Why they added those hideous hangars and helipads still confounds me. You can't really make an ASW cruiser label stick to something that looks like a full-blooded gun cruiser.

EDIT: On looking closely I spotted a few colour errorrs; there is a grey line on top of the superstructure below the mainmast, it should be black. A grey line has also sneaked in on the after funnel just above the MRS3. Also the ladder on the mainmast should be the usual width for shipbucket ladders.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Bombhead
Post subject: Re: HMS Tiger and BlakePosted: October 30th, 2010, 2:29 pm
Oh yes I see it now ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: HMS Tiger and BlakePosted: October 30th, 2010, 4:47 pm
Excellent project :D I'm with Hood on the mutated Tiger and Blake into helicopter ships. The cost of conversion was more than completing them as gun cruisers, and they were not a success in service, not least because of the running costs. I believe the conversions were political, as a sop to the cancelling of carrier projects (until the Invincible's) It would have made more sense to keep them as gun cruisers. The 6-in twin automatic mount was not the failure its portrayed as, and it was being sorted by service experience. And having a decent gun cruiser would have (in hindsight) proved valuable later - all this IMHO :P

[Profile] [Quote]
moxica
Post subject: Re: HMS Tiger and BlakePosted: October 30th, 2010, 5:24 pm
These two qualifies into the category of the most ugly ships RN have ever had if you ask me but very nicely drawn! Great work Bombhead!

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: HMS Tiger and BlakePosted: October 30th, 2010, 5:42 pm
I'm with Hood and Portsmouth Bill, as regards to their looks, though as a kid I thought they were cool... :oops:
As for the drawings themselves, my only criticism concerns the ship as helicopter cruiser, in fact the hangar landing pad area overhang at the stern.
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
Hope the images will help :)

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
Bombhead
Post subject: Re: HMS Tiger and BlakePosted: October 30th, 2010, 6:25 pm
moxica wrote:
These two qualifies into the category of the most ugly ships RN have ever had if you ask me but very nicely drawn! Great work Bombhead!
Thanks for the comments mates.Unfortunatly not the prettiest of ships,but they did have a bit of charisma.

[Profile] [Quote]
Philbob
Post subject: Re: HMS Tiger and BlakePosted: October 30th, 2010, 8:26 pm
no they arnt but they have a look to them that you cant take your eyes off. Im suprised you found enough images to make a good drawing, those ships are fairly hard to find online

[Profile] [Quote]
MihoshiK
Post subject: Re: HMS Tiger and BlakePosted: October 30th, 2010, 8:57 pm
Philbob wrote:
no they arnt but they have a look to them that you cant take your eyes off. Im suprised you found enough images to make a good drawing, those ships are fairly hard to find online
Actually, I have to disagree. Most pictures are fairly low-res, but taking a quick google look there IS quite a bit of imagery available. You're not going to get the detail like you'd get in a modern warship, but as Bombhead is proving it's certainly possible to make something better than what was already in the archive.

I imagine that the biggest problem was the rather small blueprint that is the only one online. Even so, that still gives you enough to at least eyeball the superstructure and hull.

[Profile] [Quote]
Philbob
Post subject: Re: HMS Tiger and BlakePosted: October 31st, 2010, 12:30 am
considering i didn't even know it was in the archive and i only recently learned about their exstitance in the last six months through Nick Child's Book the "Age of Invincible"

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 6  [ 57 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page 1 2 3 4 5 6 »

Jump to: