Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 7  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 57 »
Cplnew83
Post subject: Re: French pre-dreadnoughtsPosted: December 31st, 2012, 12:36 pm
Garlicdesign wrote:
Hello there!

Some more old frenchmen. Again - I am quite sure I credited every part I took off another pic, and if I left someone out, please inform me.

[ img ]

Garlicdesign
Thank you, my grand-father's cousin had lost life aboard "Liberté" during the 25th september 1911 disaster. His body had not even been recovered.

Worklist, FD scale submarines and ships :
- Project 971 "Akula" (80%)
- Project 705 "Alpha" (10%)
- Project 371 (70%)
- Project 1459 (30%)
- Projekt 151 Sassnitz (To be redone)

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: French pre-dreadnoughtsPosted: December 31st, 2012, 5:20 pm
Welcome aboard and very fine drawings, even if not all conform to SB style. A good source for all French navy ships is Here.
This link is an official French government site, and has actual building plans of the ships.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
Garlicdesign
Post subject: Re: French pre-dreadnoughtsPosted: January 6th, 2013, 9:38 pm
Hello again

Taken the battlewagons out of the water too

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

Greetings
Garlicdesign

Last edited by Garlicdesign on January 17th, 2013, 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: French pre-dreadnoughtsPosted: January 6th, 2013, 9:45 pm
Amazing work,my friend - and how much more impressive do they look with full hulls!?! Excelent renditions! One question only, and I'll trust your knowledge is superior to mine: Did they really have a red boot topping with a thin white line above it, or should only that white line represent the actual boot topping, and the red be painted green (or the green red?!?)???
Other than that, you have solidly proved yourself, and we're very happy to count you as one of us!

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: French pre-dreadnoughtsPosted: January 6th, 2013, 9:56 pm
You're supplying us with lots of great work! :)

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: French pre-dreadnoughtsPosted: January 7th, 2013, 2:59 pm
Well, I have said the same on the destroyer thread, that these new drawings are a superb addition :)

[Profile] [Quote]
Garlicdesign
Post subject: Re: French pre-dreadnoughtsPosted: January 7th, 2013, 7:21 pm
bezobrazov wrote:
Amazing work,my friend - and how much more impressive do they look with full hulls!?! Excelent renditions! One question only, and I'll trust your knowledge is superior to mine: Did they really have a red boot topping with a thin white line above it, or should only that white line represent the actual boot topping, and the red be painted green (or the green red?!?)???
Other than that, you have solidly proved yourself, and we're very happy to count you as one of us!
Hello there and thanks for the compliments (that goes to everyone).

Concerning your Question: The white line appears on many (although not all) old photographs of french ships; it seems to designate the waterline at deep draught (as in if you don't see the white line any more, abandon ship at once!). The colour below is red on virtually all colour pictures (all of them black-white prints which were hand-coloured, but then the people who did that lived in that time and I supposed a few of them actually saw a ship or two before setting to work). Concerning the lower hull colour, I have no authentic photographic evidence at all, but it seems to be consensus among modellers that it was green below the waterline at light draught (although I can say that for a certainty only for Bouvet, Suffren and Henri IV, of which I have seen photographs of big-scale models). Although I honestly can't say if the green hull colour applied to all french ships at some time, I decided to adopt it for all ships of the pre-dreadnought era because - now call me unprofessional - it looks cool.

Greetings
Garlicdesign

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: French pre-dreadnoughtsPosted: January 7th, 2013, 7:44 pm
I understand. I have found pictures, uncheck big-scale super detailed model pictures of the Bouvet, which does clearly show the white line, so that's a definite check, especially since period photos confirm that too! However, I remain slightly skeptical about the green u/h, though I'm not dismissing it, since I know Italy, for instance, used green underwater hull color extensively. The pictures I've got of the Bouvet and Suffren (have not had time to investigate the ACRs yet) does show a red hull color. Either way, should it not be a consistent color; that is, either red or green, but not both?
I guess I linger on this issue simply because your drawings are such an incredible work, that even a little detail should not allow them to be spoilt.
I, once more, like to whole heatedly compliment you on your achievement.

[Profile] [Quote]
Garlicdesign
Post subject: Re: French pre-dreadnoughtsPosted: January 8th, 2013, 8:52 pm
bezobrazov wrote:
I understand. I have found pictures, uncheck big-scale super detailed model pictures of the Bouvet, which does clearly show the white line, so that's a definite check, especially since period photos confirm that too! However, I remain slightly skeptical about the green u/h, though I'm not dismissing it, since I know Italy, for instance, used green underwater hull color extensively. The pictures I've got of the Bouvet and Suffren (have not had time to investigate the ACRs yet) does show a red hull color. Either way, should it not be a consistent color; that is, either red or green, but not both?
I guess I linger on this issue simply because your drawings are such an incredible work, that even a little detail should not allow them to be spoilt.
I, once more, like to whole heatedly compliment you on your achievement.
Hello again

As I understand it, ships were frequently repainted in that era. The following models quite convinced me that the lower hull colouring I used was standard at least part of the time and for part of the fleet. I have also seen a model of the Bouvet with a red lower hull (which was pretty much standard by the time of WWI) and the old-fashioned black-buff hull and superstructure colour. Other ships are depicted with a superstructure in a very light grey rather than buff, also with references being available of both colour schemes for the same ship. Unfortunately, for most of these ships, I have been unable to locate individual references concerning their lower hull colour, so I decided that it was at least not entirely improbable that they were green for some time.

Examples:
[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

Greetings
Garlicdesign

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: French pre-dreadnoughtsPosted: January 8th, 2013, 9:23 pm
Very interesting. It's a strange thing that my search didn't produce those images. Personally I don't mind the green color scheme. It rather makes the ships look, if possibly, even more majestic. Again, thank you for providing your source evidence. I wish, though, that there might, one day, pop up a French naval regulation from the period that could cast a definite light on this issue.
On the other hand, knowing well the French penchant for individualism and strange, but in the end, very workable technical solutions and designs, I wouldn't be surprised if this is the actual color scheme - for one thing French ships can never be accused of (back then!) is blandness!

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 7  [ 61 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 57 »

Jump to: