Garlicdesign
Post subject: French protected cruisersPosted: December 31st, 2012, 11:45 am
Hello again.

Some smaller cruisers to go with the pre-dreadnoughts

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

The last one is not intended to offend anybody, because I know several people have d'Entrecasteaux on their worklists for some time; I just liked the ship so much I had to add it. If those with 'older rights' object, I can just as easily remove her and keep her to myself.

[ img ]

Greetings
Garlicdesign

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: French protected cruisersPosted: December 31st, 2012, 11:49 am
I haw checked you'r referanse and They all have underwater hull, That means that you must draw underwater hull to. the only reason for not draw a underwater hull is that there is No referenses for that hull!

[Profile] [Quote]
Garlicdesign
Post subject: Re: French protected cruisersPosted: December 31st, 2012, 12:04 pm
Hello heuhen,

ok I admit my explanation for not drawing underwater hulls might have been incomplete. My personal french collection also includes might-have-beens for which only sketchy references exist, and personal, entirely fictional designs, for which naturally there are no references at all, and I decided to leave the underwater hulls out so all my drawings have the same style. It`s a hobby, after all, I'm not getting paid for it, and I found no explicit prohibition against drawing ships with no lower hull anywhere on the forum, so I figured it was pretty much my choice.

Greetings
Garlicdesign

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: French protected cruisersPosted: December 31st, 2012, 12:10 pm
it is your own choice, indeed, but we would love to see underwater hulls if possible. it is pretty much the standard to draw underwater hulls if references exist, the drawings without are mostly ones without references or old drawings, from back when we didn't draw them ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Redhorse
Post subject: Re: French protected cruisersPosted: December 31st, 2012, 12:13 pm
If the drawings available are known to be inaccurate (even some of Friedman's illustrations are questionable), I would advise against drawing the hull.

Current Projects:
Republic of Texas Navy
FD Scale F-14s

[Profile] [Quote]
KimWerner
Post subject: Re: French protected cruisersPosted: December 31st, 2012, 12:43 pm
Underwater hull or not they are very beautiful drawings. A bit Psilander style :D

All relevant Coat of Arms

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: French protected cruisersPosted: December 31st, 2012, 2:36 pm
More excellent work, the French files have at last been given a substantial boost!

Underwater hulls have never been mandatory, they are good to have but not 100% essential. It's up to Garlicdesign if he wants to add them.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: French protected cruisersPosted: December 31st, 2012, 2:39 pm
These look very nice. My soncern is one of hull shading. You've got some very non-standard patches on these ships that should propbably be cleaned up if you want them to be uploaded to the main site.

That said, welcome aboard!

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: French protected cruisersPosted: January 1st, 2013, 3:34 pm
Another batch of great work!
Only think I can advise about trying to make shading on tumbledome-shaped hull (that would still be more-or-less SB-standard and therefore uploadable) is to try to use two (only two) similar shades applied in strictly regular manner (on more angled part of hull/on less angled part).

[Profile] [Quote]
Garlicdesign
Post subject: Re: French protected cruisersPosted: January 2nd, 2013, 7:46 pm
eswube wrote:
Another batch of great work!
Only think I can advise about trying to make shading on tumbledome-shaped hull (that would still be more-or-less SB-standard and therefore uploadable) is to try to use two (only two) similar shades applied in strictly regular manner (on more angled part of hull/on less angled part).
Hello again.

Tried that. Don't like it much, to be honest. See?
[ img ]
In my humble opinion, the hull shading I used on the vessels with extremely tumblehomed hulls is not a matter of personal style, but rather the only way to depict it properly (the only way I can think of, anyway).

BTW, my current worklist:
Iena
Jauréguiberry
Brennus
Marceau (1883)

Greetings
Garlicdesign

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 4  [ 37 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page 1 2 3 4 »

Jump to: