Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 3 of 4  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »
Hood
Post subject: Re: French protected cruisersPosted: January 4th, 2013, 9:59 am
Well I've always used Paint too, and Garlicdesign deserves kudos for his hand-done shading to that level of detail (I've just zoomed it in paint) and the skill he has in matching the shades well and his drawing ability.

The main reason why we've stuck to three gradients of shading is mainly accessibility and to reduce complexity and to allow anyone to produce similar work without feelings of failure or inability and folks moaning about the lack of Da Vinci-qaulity shading on every profile. Psilander's method and skill is probably best done by him and attempts to replicate it might be less successful. Shading has evolved, if everyone compared their superstructures and underwater hulls to those in the shading guideline I bet nearly 90% now would not conform, especially underwater hulls. I've seen platforms and overhangs without shading underneath etc. as well. Now us mods could go one of two ways, police every drawing for correct shading and risk pissing off the artists or continuing to monitor the trends and step in only when neccessary.

Now, regarding the above two shadings for comparison. The top one looks great, but when you zoom in the effect is rather spoilt. Bouvet for example has about 9-11 shades in the hull. Anyone who wishes to perhaps re-use that hull or re-colour it in the future will either have to spend a lot of time matching 9-11 new shades to equal qaulity or change the shading pattern. The bottom one looks less neat, but I think could be improved further, and is easier to look at on a PC screen or when zoomed and its easier to re-colour the ship. I like both but for the sake of practicality and overall viewing I vote for the bottom one, but like Kim says doing two versions is an option. I would also say though that we've had problems with bow shading before, but tumblehome hulls like these do really need some kind of shading to bring out that aspect.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Garlicdesign
Post subject: Re: French protected cruisersPosted: January 6th, 2013, 9:28 pm
Hello again.

OK, this time with less hull shading and more below-waterline pixels. All of them, actually.

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

Greetings
Garlicdesign

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: French protected cruisersPosted: January 6th, 2013, 9:31 pm
On the infernet you seem to have reversed the shading in front of the fore casemate

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: French protected cruisersPosted: January 6th, 2013, 9:51 pm
Garlicdesign: since your insight into this ear of French warships is so thorough, could I possibly prod you to draw the protected cruisers Tourville and Amiral Cecille (1889-90) and why not the first real armored cruiser, Dupuy de Lome? Also, if noone has drawn the Amiral Aube-class, I'd encourage you to do it!

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: French protected cruisersPosted: January 6th, 2013, 9:58 pm
Great additions! :)

[Profile] [Quote]
Garlicdesign
Post subject: Re: French protected cruisersPosted: January 6th, 2013, 9:59 pm
Thiel wrote:
On the infernet you seem to have reversed the shading in front of the fore casemate
Hello

When I shade vertical surfaces, I assume they are lit from straight ahead. So, as the hull curves inwards in front of the forward casemate, I shadowed it; aft of the rear casemate, it curves outwards, so I highlighted it.

Of course there probably are dozens of spots on any of my drawings where I got it wrong, but that was the basic thought.

Greetings
Garlicdesign

[Profile] [Quote]
Garlicdesign
Post subject: Re: French protected cruisersPosted: February 12th, 2013, 8:48 pm
Hello yet again

The result of some more serious research especially in colouring, plus a few minor corrections, again in historical order:

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

Greetings
Garlicdesign

Last edited by Garlicdesign on February 17th, 2013, 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: French protected cruisersPosted: February 12th, 2013, 9:36 pm
Garlicdesign - You're doing an awesome work!

[Profile] [Quote]
KimWerner
Post subject: Re: French protected cruisersPosted: February 13th, 2013, 8:38 pm
eswube wrote:
Garlicdesign - You're doing an awesome work!
Second that :D

All relevant Coat of Arms

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: French protected cruisersPosted: February 13th, 2013, 8:52 pm
bezobrazov wrote:
Personally I prefer the first sample. Less gradient borders shown; gives to it a much smoother - let's say more professional appearance. If that's not SB-style, then maybe we ought to 'graduate' to that level. We do have now a fantastic bunch of truly amazing artists here who, I'm sure would be up for it! And for the rest: ahh well, too bad! Garlicdesign, I am truly amazed with your quality work so far. I haven't been able to find that Drouyn de Lhuys design I was talking about; it's tcked away somewhere since our move. I was planning on doing the heavy cruisers of the Suffren-class (1930), but I wonder if I oughtn't let you do them - though if you do, I expect full hulls and all four of them!
This is pixel art. Gradients should be reserved to vector drawings and other stuff. Like Hood mentions, it doesn't lend itself to this type of drawing.
Quote:
At the other extreme, we still have people who use the ancient, early SB style which has become rather bland, compared to your work, and those like Hood, Alvama, and Portsmouth Bill.
: /

The "ancient" style you refer to is the style. There is no other. All the variances that have been introduced lately are deviating from the style, but we allow it to occur because, like Hood mentions, it's counterproductive to try to change it. The original style looks quite nice when properly executed, and gives all the ships a uniform look.

The bottom line is that I can pretty easily fire up Photoshop and put you all to shame with the different tools available. I choose not to because I am truly dedicated to furthering Shipbucket, and not my own "style" of drawings as an egotistical artist.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 3 of 4  [ 37 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »

Jump to: