Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 4 of 5  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »
WhyMe
Post subject: Re: French armoured cruiser Latouche-TrévillePosted: November 28th, 2010, 9:44 pm
With the new uploading session started, would some gurus review this drawing (in the previous post) again and let me know if it deserves to get uploaded on to the main site? Thank you.

[Profile] [Quote]
MihoshiK
Post subject: Re: French armoured cruiser Latouche-TrévillePosted: November 28th, 2010, 9:59 pm
WhyMe wrote:
The railings are pretty generic on this ship but thanks for the advice! Btw is there a standard color for ropework? If no, can you suggest on that?

Ok, I've fixed ladders, railings, guns, ropeworks, searchlights and shading: [ img ]
No, no real standards either. Just try and keep the colors seperated. Heck, for REAL ropework (today it's all steel cable on large ships) you could even experiment with a dark brown color.
What I find interesting is that you could experiment with shading the upper part of the ram prow a lighter color, as if it's catching the light. This would accentuate it's shape.

But really, I think this would sit well in the 'bucket as it is right now. You've done a good job, here's a cookie. With teh whipped cream!

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: French armoured cruiser Latouche-TrévillePosted: November 29th, 2010, 8:19 pm
I'd never thought of brown ropes and stays. Just never occured to me, its always been grey. Might look quite good actually. I agree on the ram bow shading too. Really this is a fine effort especailly since these French ships of this era have quite odd shapes and layouts compared to the conventions of the period. I'd say a drawing of a fine early warship is equal to ten stealth frigates just for beauty alone.

Whyme, keep up this good work, sound drawings and little-known ships combines two good talents.

Cream on a cookie! Are you serious! Mmmmmmm cookies...

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
MihoshiK
Post subject: Re: French armoured cruiser Latouche-TrévillePosted: November 29th, 2010, 8:47 pm
Hood wrote:
Cream on a cookie! Are you serious! Mmmmmmm cookies...
Gotta be extra good for a new guy who does such good work!

[Profile] [Quote]
WhyMe
Post subject: Re: French armoured cruiser Latouche-TrévillePosted: November 29th, 2010, 9:03 pm
Like this?
Attachment:
2010-11-29_1301.png

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: French armoured cruiser Latouche-TrévillePosted: November 29th, 2010, 10:05 pm
I believe what Mr MihoshiK meant was to highlight the fact that this vessel had a considerable tumblehome, beginning with the very pronounced prow section (which, btw, was not a ram in anything but superficial appearance! The French, in fact introduced this kind of extreme tumblehomed hull and negatively flared bows to save on the displacement! Mind you, this was during the Third Republic with swing-door cabinets in power, often less than 14 month a time - and no coherent military- or naval policy, and certainly no money in abundance to hand out!) So, what I think could be suggested (don't know if it's against SB-rules, but then there's been precious few tumblehome ships drawn sofar...) is to let the light fall on the uppermost part of the full length of the tumblehome section of the hull, beginning at the prow and ending at the stern. Now, that could look very nice.

[Profile] [Quote]
MihoshiK
Post subject: Re: French armoured cruiser Latouche-TrévillePosted: November 29th, 2010, 10:27 pm
WhyMe wrote:
Like this?
Attachment:
2010-11-29_1301.png
More like this:

[ img ]

Note how the highlighted section follows the contours of the prow into the normally shaped hull (IIRC the Amiral Charner class didn't have a tumblehome hull, or only a slight one). Also note that the really bright highlight is only visible in the small line you drew, e.g. the piece where light falls on almost vertically. for the rest I've used a more subdued highlight.

[Profile] [Quote]
Bombhead
Post subject: Re: French armoured cruiser Latouche-TrévillePosted: November 29th, 2010, 10:54 pm
Very impressive drawing.You can't beat pre Dreadnoughts for character.

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: French armoured cruiser Latouche-TrévillePosted: November 30th, 2010, 1:22 am
THe Amiral Charner's did, in fact have a tumblehome, though MihoshiK is corect in pointing out that it was not as exaggerated as certain classes had later on; rather their hull was 'sectionilized' for want of a better description, thus accomplishing exactly the weight-saving measure the French naval architects were forced, for fiscal reasons to adopt. I like MihoshiK's suggestion. Will go a long way to lend the finished drawing character!

[Profile] [Quote]
WhyMe
Post subject: Re: French armoured cruiser Latouche-TrévillePosted: November 30th, 2010, 7:17 am
Thanks, guys, for your comments and suggestions!

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 4 of 5  [ 42 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »

Jump to: