Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 3 of 4  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: N class blimpsPosted: March 28th, 2013, 3:09 pm
That's interesting, I had not seen that before. I guess what I should have said is that "any good sources at all on this blimp were hard to come by".

Are you able to find any photos of the AN/APS-70 radar itself? I would draw an internal view - but unfortunately that image just shows me the location of it and no details. I don't want to draw this unless I'm able to draw it correctly and that means seeing some actual photos of the radar installation, which I can't seem to find anywhere.

edit: All I can find about the APS-70 radar set are some basic band limits. Though it seems it was also mounted on the EC-121 and P-2V, which is interesting. Apparently you are better at Googling than I am so I'll leave it to you. ;)

edit2: Also, just so you're aware - the image you linked (when resized) shows the radar as being twice as large as it should (given the "42 feet" stat always named) - leading me not to trust it.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colombamike
Post subject: Re: N class blimpsPosted: March 28th, 2013, 3:21 pm
Colosseum wrote:
the APS-70 radar
yeah, here

others stuff
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
MihoshiK
Post subject: Re: N class blimpsPosted: March 28th, 2013, 3:24 pm
Colosseum wrote:
That's interesting, I had not seen that before. I guess what I should have said is that "any good sources at all on this blimp were hard to come by".

Are you able to find any photos of the AN/APS-70 radar itself? I would draw an internal view - but unfortunately that image just shows me the location of it and no details. I don't want to draw this unless I'm able to draw it correctly and that means seeing some actual photos of the radar installation, which I can't seem to find anywhere.

edit: All I can find about the APS-70 radar set are some basic band limits. Though it seems it was also mounted on the EC-121 and P-2V, which is interesting. Apparently you are better at Googling than I am so I'll leave it to you. ;)

edit2: Also, just so you're aware - the image you linked (when resized) shows the radar as being twice as large as it should (given the "42 feet" stat always named) - leading me not to trust it.
I think it just shows basic location, e.g., hanging inside of the envelope, instead of perched on top of the gondola. There's another even more overdone picture, but it also shows the antenna hanging inside the envelope.

I think you can at least take the location for granted. But I'll continue to look later today.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: N class blimpsPosted: March 28th, 2013, 3:31 pm
That's funny as the one cartoonish image I was able to find showed the antenna sitting above the gondola in a configuration quite similar to a surface ship's air search radar. I take these things with a grain of salt, though. Again, I've sunk so much time and effort into making an accurate drawing of this type that I don't want to just shotgun it and get things wrong.
Colombamike wrote:
Colosseum wrote:
the APS-70 radar
yeah, here

others stuff
[ img ]

I had come across that MIT Labs page during my initial research - good stuff and interesting but not entirely useful for helping me to draw the radar in question.

As for that image you posted, it was one of the first I found and the first I discarded after noticing many errors on it.

[Profile] [Quote]
MihoshiK
Post subject: Re: N class blimpsPosted: March 28th, 2013, 8:38 pm
Colosseum wrote:
That's funny as the one cartoonish image I was able to find showed the antenna sitting above the gondola in a configuration quite similar to a surface ship's air search radar. I take these things with a grain of salt, though. Again, I've sunk so much time and effort into making an accurate drawing of this type that I don't want to just shotgun it and get things wrong.
Funny thing, a Vintage 1950s manufacturer's Navy Goodyear ZPG-2W (modified) Blimp desk model:

[ img ]

Note the location of the radar, also hanging inside the envelope.
And check this out!

http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/ ... h=sentinel

In the article a proposal for an updated version of the ZPG-3W, with crossection! Radar location confirmed, I think.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: N class blimpsPosted: March 28th, 2013, 8:49 pm
Ah, very nice. I'm satisfied that's the correct location... now to just track down stats about the radar's dimensions and I'll take a shot at an internal view.

[Profile] [Quote]
MihoshiK
Post subject: Re: N class blimpsPosted: March 28th, 2013, 10:08 pm
Colosseum wrote:
Ah, very nice. I'm satisfied that's the correct location... now to just track down stats about the radar's dimensions and I'll take a shot at an internal view.
I couldn't find a single thing other than that it was supposed to be a "simple dipole" design.

Extraordinarily frustrating.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: N class blimpsPosted: March 28th, 2013, 10:33 pm
Quote:
This basically describes my entire tenure drawing blimps...

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: N class blimpsPosted: March 28th, 2013, 10:37 pm
MihoshiK wrote:
Colosseum wrote:
I couldn't find a single thing other than that it was supposed to be a "simple dipole" design.

If I am remembering my physics correctly, (and I haven't taken any serious E&M classes) It's a simple loop antenna that is folded into a bar like shape.

[Profile] [Quote]
MihoshiK
Post subject: Re: N class blimpsPosted: March 28th, 2013, 10:54 pm
Colosseum wrote:
Quote:
This basically describes my entire tenure drawing blimps...
There is a WEALTH of pictures available for the blimps, compared to that of pictures of obsure radar antennas. Everybody photographs the housings, but what the hell is beneath the radome? Nobody knows. Not even The Shadow.
TimothyC wrote:
MihoshiK wrote:
Colosseum wrote:

If I am remembering my physics correctly, (and I haven't taken any serious E&M classes) It's a simple loop antenna that is folded into a bar like shape.
That would actually mean that the picture on the previous page has the right shape, but an exaggerated size.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 3 of 4  [ 36 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »

Jump to: