Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 3  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 »
Colosseum
Post subject: USS Constitution (1797) - WIPPosted: October 3rd, 2013, 4:50 am
Normally I don't post WIP threads - I prefer to just show a finished drawing all at once rather than a slow progress. However, I have literally never drawn anything with sails before so want to post my WIPs here so errors can be spotted as quick as possible. I am attempting to draw the ship in its "current" appearance, which from what I can tell is how it appeared during the War of 1812. Hence the enormous sail plan and planked-in bows. I will as usual try to draw every configuration if I get the chance (except the receiving ship version which frankly I couldn't care less about).

I have drawn the masts and spars according to the Anatomy of the Ship booklet on Constitution. I attempted my usual method of measuring spars based on the Chappelle measurements, but that's an absolutely futile undertaking...

I am going to try to draw the ship with canvas flying (minus studdingsails) but that will come after someone with more experience with these ships can at least verify that I'm doing things mostly correct. Right now the yards are shown fore-and-aft - I will most likely adopt the same style Darth Panda used on the HMS Surprise, with the ship on starboard tack and the yards at a nice angle to allow all the sails to be mostly visible.

[ img ]

Some questions:

1. Were studdingsail booms normally carried attached to the yards, or were they stored on the spar deck? If they were attached to the yards, I'll probably show them on the drawing.

2. The booms attached to the mainchains - are these also studdingsail booms for the lower most studdingsails?

3. What is the name of the yard that runs P&S below the bowsprit? What is its purpose?

4. Is there an established method for drawing rolled-up hammocks inside the hammock netting?

5. Are the ship's boats that would have been on this vessel already drawn?

Last edited by Colosseum on October 3rd, 2013, 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: USS Constitution (1797) - WIPPosted: October 3rd, 2013, 4:55 am
!!!! God I am going to enjoying this thread

"Loitering on the High Seas" (Named after the good ship Rodondo)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: USS Constitution (1797) - WIPPosted: October 3rd, 2013, 6:16 am
Colosseum wrote:
1. Were studdingsail booms normally carried attached to the yards, or were they stored on the spar deck? If they were attached to the yards, I'll probably show them on the drawing.
As far as I know they were, but my experience is with much later square riggers. I have a book with some period artwork at home I can check.
Colosseum wrote:
2. The booms attached to the mainchains - are these also studdingsail booms for the lower most studdingsails?
No, those are for mooring boats when at anchor.
Colosseum wrote:
3. What is the name of the yard that runs P&S below the bowsprit? What is its purpose?
The sail is a spritsail so if it follows the same naming conventions as the masts then it's a Spritsail Yard. I don't know if the Constitution ever carried a spritsail, if it didn't then it was propably retained to impart some stifness to the bowsprit.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Lazer_one
Post subject: Re: USS Constitution (1797) - WIPPosted: October 3rd, 2013, 7:02 am
I have one drawing suggestion and one operative:
the perfectly horizontal booms do not look very fine: I would make a small tilt
If you will draw the sail I suggest to start from aft-side and proceed toward bow: you will overlap the new sails/rig on the previous one

Maybe you could look at my Vespucci

Lazer_One's Worlist - Updated 2021

Documentation is always welcome here

Lazer_One's Blog

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: USS Constitution (1797) - WIPPosted: October 3rd, 2013, 12:55 pm
Quote:
I'll consult some sources re:that as well

"Loitering on the High Seas" (Named after the good ship Rodondo)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: USS Constitution (1797) - WIPPosted: October 3rd, 2013, 2:37 pm
Thanks guys for the help.

Lazer, I was drawing the yards fore-and-aft like that just to make sure I had them all drawn correctly. If I keep the drawing as-is (with no canvas), I'll leave them as they are, but if I add sails I'll definitely add a sail plan similar to the Surprise: http://shipbucket.com/images.php?dir=Re ... 201805.png

[Profile] [Quote]
WWII44
Post subject: Re: USS Constitution (1797) - WIPPosted: October 3rd, 2013, 2:52 pm
verry nice, I like it.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: USS Constitution (1797) - WIPPosted: October 3rd, 2013, 2:53 pm
I can't be entirely sure, but the period paintings I've got access to seems to show them. Oh and I've got a period sail plan from 1817 if you're interested.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: USS Constitution (1797) - WIPPosted: October 3rd, 2013, 3:15 pm
Yes, I've got the 1817 sail plan in my references folder. I'll probably draw the booms attached - if anything it will add some nice visual clutter to the tops which seem bare and simple right now.

Another crucial question: was the banding around the hull painted in white or yellow? Contemporary paintings seem to suggest yellow, the model kits suggest a combination of both (yellow stern galleries and bows, white banding), and the current ship suggests pure white. Does anyone know for sure?

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: USS Constitution (1797) - WIPPosted: October 3rd, 2013, 3:16 pm
Looks promising. :)
One thing - maybe not really important, but I tend to notice it (and get annoyed :lol: ) - contours of the masts. They aren't quite parallel in the sense that diagonal lines are represented by a stair-like zigzag and here these "stairs" are at various places (except for the highest portions), so the thickness of masts is randomly varied along the height (3 pixels - 2 pixels - 3 pixels - 2 pixels, for example).

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 3  [ 28 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page 1 2 3 »

Jump to: