Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 19 of 27  [ 263 posts ]  Go to page « 117 18 19 20 2127 »
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: Project SailPosted: August 3rd, 2014, 5:48 am
Thanks Rowdy!, as for FD scale, it will probably have to wait till I return to the mainland to conduct repairs on my battered W14 then I can also factor in the various bits of rigging for the drawing that cant be seen at SB scale.

"Loitering on the High Seas" (Named after the good ship Rodondo)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
CraigH
Post subject: Re: Project SailPosted: August 3rd, 2014, 4:28 pm
Rowdy,
Possibly, actually probably! For anything less than 80-90' FD is the way to go regarding detail, drawing clarity, and imparting information. SB is great to get a ship done in a reasonable amount of time PLUS...the continuity in scale with the rest of SB.

I've chosen the FD scale subjects based on personal interest and available documentation (for sailing ships). For the USS Wasp...I had a LOT and it was of very good archival/ curatorial quality. I'm toying with: USS Constitution but there are questions regarding it's pre-1812 masting/rigging.
CSS Alabama Have the raw data I need.
Cutty Sark. Have most of what I need.
HMS Dianna (Frigate 1794)
HMS Blanford (20-gun ship 1750's)
USS Essex (Frigate 1790's)

FD Sail will wait till that lightening bolt hits me.

CraigH

Some railroad stuff
More random stuff that strikes me!

[Profile] [Quote]
CraigH
Post subject: Re: Project SailPosted: August 3rd, 2014, 5:54 pm
Baltimore Clippers: A design evolution.

Jumping forward in time to the 1830's the Ann McKim became the best known ship and fastest in it's day. She was copied by many others on both sides of the Atlantic. She was primarily used in South American and China Trade. She ended her days under Chilean ownership in 1852. She was built as a highly enlarged Baltimore clipper, and as a trader she was superseded by the developing Packet ships, a more economically viable ship type capable of greater loads.

Ann McKim (1833)
[ img ]

CraigH

Some railroad stuff

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Project SailPosted: August 3rd, 2014, 6:09 pm
@CraigH, Rodondo
Fantastic additions!

[Profile] [Quote]
CraigH
Post subject: Re: Project SailPosted: February 21st, 2015, 2:55 pm
This one is for DP!
[ img ]
Great Britain, Thermopylae (1868)

Thermopylae was an extreme composite clipper ship designed for the China tea trade with the Aberdeen White Star Line, and set speed records on her maiden voyage to Melbourne—63 days, still the fastest trip under sail. During her life she was to become one of the most celebrated of all clippers.

http://www.shipbucket.com/images.php?di ... 20Sark.png
In 1872, Thermopylae raced the clipper Cutty Sark from Shanghai back to London. Thermopylae won by seven days after Cutty Sark lost her rudder. From 1882 onward, Thermopylae took part in the Australian wool trade; however, on this route the Cutty Sark proved faster.

In 1897 she was sold to Portugal for use as a naval training ship and renamed the Pedro Nunes. She met her end in 1913 while being used as a gunfire and torpedo target for training...with full military honors.

CraigH

Some railroad stuff

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Project SailPosted: February 21st, 2015, 3:08 pm
CraigH could you shade the hull different, for now the shading tell us that this is an bathtub and not an fast sailing ship. if you are shading the hull, then you shade where the hull is 45 degrees. if you don't know the shape of the hull, then you should use the simple shading rule. we have shown that around on the forum many time, and we have also the new made Shipbucket style rules.

This is how you'r shading tells us how that sail ship hull looks like:

[ img ]

Remember shading is for 45 degree and overhang.

BTW, that black hull shading look wrong, and out of place, now it look green. when shading you shall use an color darker then the original color.

The shading on those life boats is an no-standard shipbucket shading and that is an Very big NONO here in shipbucket.

The colors in that flag specially shading look nothing like in the real world.

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Project SailPosted: February 21st, 2015, 3:58 pm
Hull shading issues aside - Fantastic!

[Profile] [Quote]
maomatic
Post subject: Re: Project SailPosted: February 21st, 2015, 4:01 pm
Marvelous work!

Can't comment on the hull shading, since I'm having my own problems with it, but I have to disagree with heuhen about the flags.
They actually look like they are in motion - great job.

[Profile] [Quote]
CraigH
Post subject: Re: Project SailPosted: February 21st, 2015, 4:02 pm
@ huehen:

A quick response, on the road at work, from the phone.

The ship was green, not black!

45 degree rule was used, under the now old shading rules. To do the sleek sailing ship hulls properly really requires a larger pallet of color shades. Had a version with 5-6 shades that looked great but under the old rules... Happy to redo it IF I'm allowed to expand the shading pallet.

Ships boats: you are correct, needs redrawing, I probably used one of my really old graded shaded non-"ms paint" drawings. Simply lost track with the complexity of the masting and rigging. (The drawing was started last fall). Happy to redo it.

Flag: a highly reduced photo, dumbed down to reduce the number of shades. Happy to redo it.

This drawing is a good example of why I've been a proponent of a modest expansion of certain SB drawing rules. With the old rules one CAN'T avoid the bathtub look to sleek sailing ship hulls. With the study of the old sailing ships, hull shape was one of the critical areas of evolution. It cannot be adequately addressed by the old SB conventions.

CraigH

Some railroad stuff

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Project SailPosted: February 21st, 2015, 4:20 pm
actually, the shading is not that bad. if I have a bit of time for it I will try to look into that for you, to check if it is accurate, but as far as defining the shape of the hull goes on first sight, it looks a lot more correct then Heuhen seems to think.
EDIT:
a minor problem that I found while checking....
[ img ]
the bow is not as extreme as the sloop shown above, so the stern is not angled more then 45 degrees over the entire length. the bow also has a sharp rather then round shape, so the same goes there, at some point it is more like a knife and has not a lot of flare as shown in the currently shaded image. when the 30-60 degrees rule is used, so you have 2 shades to represent 2 angles, the shape will be more like what is drawn now, I think ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 19 of 27  [ 263 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page « 117 18 19 20 2127 »

Jump to: