Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 22 of 27  [ 263 posts ]  Go to page « 120 21 22 23 2427 »
CraigH
Post subject: Re: Project SailPosted: January 17th, 2017, 12:54 am
Thanks for the complements! I'll pull these and replace them shortly with non-PhotoBucket versions.

@ reytuerto,

I honestly don't know the real differences regarding hull shape or minor differences in rig or sail details. There would be major differences in lumber used to build the things due to available timber. Operating conditions would have been significantly different. These ships were operated on a generally rough, wild, and sparsely populated coastline. Most of the coast North of Santa Cruz (About 1/2 way up California) and up to Alaska is rough, lots of cliffs with small, exposed coves. Periodically there are long beach stretches. Storms come up quickly and ships need to be able to get away from shore quickly. If not, they die.

These lumber schooners were used to quickly get into tiny exposed coves and tie off to rocks or whatever was handy. Up on top of the bluffs or cliffs were logging operations cutting and rough sawing Redwood, Douglas Fir, and a few other mixed species. The lumber was either slid down a slide to the schooner or transferred out via a breaches buoy contrivance. It was up to the schooner to get out to sea and the lumber to market.

Rigging was simple and robust. The schooner rig was as good as you could get to combat the storms out of the Northwest. As I recall, a few hundred were built.

CraigH

Some railroad stuff
More random stuff that strikes me!

[Profile] [Quote]
CraigH
Post subject: Re: Project SailPosted: January 17th, 2017, 2:24 pm
Images corrected. Thanks TimothyC!

CraigH

Some railroad stuff
More random stuff that strikes me!

[Profile] [Quote]
reytuerto
Post subject: Re: Project SailPosted: January 17th, 2017, 6:56 pm
Hi, CraigH:
Thanks for your answer (and by the way, thanks for your Cannonicus class monitors!, I was trying to find C Hoefer with any sucess :oops: ). I made the question because I was seeking a cheap vessel for coastal navegation in the Eastern Mediterranean, the second half of XIX C. Your schooner looks very fine, much less cumbersome than the 7 masts Thomas Lawson, and I hope that with also a reduced crew (15 to 18), for my AU. May I supose wrightly that the same 3 masts schooner design but with french Lemosin oak, north italian pines, and/or lebanese cedars will work the same? Thanks and cheers.

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: Project SailPosted: January 17th, 2017, 9:01 pm
Top quality drawings Craig. Excellent work of art all those sailing ships.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
Garlicdesign
Post subject: Re: Project SailPosted: January 18th, 2017, 6:40 pm
Hi Craig

Thundering applause. Fantastic sailing ships. I could not draw them like this if my life depended on it.

One question about the Sovereign of the Seas: the colour of the above water hull shading fore and aft looks strange (at least on my display), somewhat greenish where the rest of the hull is dark gray. Is that intentional??

Greetings
GD

[Profile] [Quote]
nighthunter
Post subject: Re: Project SailPosted: February 20th, 2017, 2:30 am
Hey Craig, was going through the thread and found some resized (by PB) images of ships I don't have a copy of, can you repost them in all their full-sized glory?

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: Project SailPosted: March 1st, 2017, 7:54 am
Some excellent and beautiful work as always Craig! Great to see the Sea Witch represented

Gentlemans Cutter Zephyr, oldest sea going vessel in Australia apparently, I myself was interested in buying her not so long ago where she required some work for a bargain price, things came to pass it didn't happen but never the less it is a nice neat vessel.

Zephyr as she was first launched
[ img ]
Zephyr as I saw her
[ img ]

"Loitering on the High Seas" (Named after the good ship Rodondo)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

Last edited by Rodondo on March 3rd, 2017, 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Project SailPosted: March 1st, 2017, 4:31 pm
Fantastic work. Shame about her top mast, but I understand why the owner might prefer not to have it.
What is the black patch on her side? Cooling pipes for the engine?

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Project SailPosted: March 1st, 2017, 8:02 pm
Fantastic indeed!

[Profile] [Quote]
adenandy
Post subject: Re: Project SailPosted: March 1st, 2017, 9:40 pm
VERY nice work Rodondo :!:

Jolly WELL DONE sir :D

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 22 of 27  [ 263 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page « 120 21 22 23 2427 »

Jump to: