Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 4 of 27  [ 265 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 627 »
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Tennessee Class Battleship USS California (BB-44)Posted: February 15th, 2014, 11:53 pm
Karle94 wrote:
There are more rods than that. There have to be. There were so many you could`t topple the mast by shooting it. They tested it on a mast that the South Carolina class had. 200 12 inch shells could`t bring it down.
Actually (according to my vague recollection of Friedman) the original idea was the opposite - have a structure where shells would for the most part harmlessly pass through it. IIRC some ship had its cage mast actually ripped off in a storm, and tripod masts provide the same effect (and they finally realized how silly it was to assume adversaries would be aiming for such a relatively small part of the ship compared to the actual hull or superstructure) that they abandoned it after WWI.

[Profile] [Quote]
David Latuch
Post subject: Re: Tennessee Class Battleship USS California (BB-44)Posted: February 16th, 2014, 1:02 am
Thank to you both,

Haven't put the rails in yet Thiel 'cause it's WIP,Haven got to that yet.

And it does look fairly accurate and I hope it gets closer with all of your help.

Someday I might even graduate form the "Beginner's Forum".

Dave

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: Tennessee Class Battleship USS California (BB-44)Posted: February 16th, 2014, 1:08 am
If you want accuracy, here are a few points. The aft observation post should be identical to the fore one. The bow is wrong too. The Tennessee and Colorado had a completely vertical underwater bow, not a bulbouse one like the New Mexico.

[Profile] [Quote]
David Latuch
Post subject: Re: Tennessee Class Battleship USS California (BB-44)Posted: February 16th, 2014, 1:52 am
Great.

Thanks again Karle. I'll workon it.

Dave

[Profile] [Quote]
David Latuch
Post subject: Re: Tennessee Class Battleship USS California (BB-44)Posted: February 16th, 2014, 9:48 am
One step forward, two steps back.

[ img ]

I stand corrected.

[Profile] [Quote]
CanisD
Post subject: Re: Tennessee Class Battleship USS California (BB-44)Posted: February 16th, 2014, 9:56 am
Navsource has some excellent photos scattered about their section on Dreadnought-era Battleships.
http://www.navsource.org/archives/01/04bbidx.htm

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: Tennessee Class Battleship USS California (BB-44)Posted: February 16th, 2014, 10:02 am
Something I'd point out, for SB standard sake, avoid double black lines like you have in various poles and cranes, it isn't exactly flattering on a very great effort so far!

"Loitering on the High Seas" (Named after the good ship Rodondo)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Tennessee Class Battleship USS California (BB-44)Posted: February 16th, 2014, 11:02 am
an idea for the masts, maybe make the lines 'in the back' an dark grey colour. that way you can detail them a lot more while still not ending with black blobs.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Tennessee Class Battleship USS California (BB-44)Posted: February 16th, 2014, 2:59 pm
Looking very nice...

What year are you portraying?

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: Tennessee Class Battleship USS California (BB-44)Posted: February 16th, 2014, 3:14 pm
I am thinking 41 judging by the catapult on the #3 turret, the 5"/25 AA guns and the radar on top of the bridge.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 4 of 27  [ 265 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 627 »

Jump to: