Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 9  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 59 »
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: The Big Ten - The Pennsylvania and Tennessee-class ACRsPosted: April 22nd, 2014, 11:25 am
Ahhh..well, ace, you already eat part of them, so I'm quite satisfied! (About the off-white tone) 8-) ;) :D

Thiel's comment made your second paragraph make sense. I have, indeed, overlooked that part and will adjust it accordingly. :)

[Profile] [Quote]
denodon
Post subject: Re: The Big Ten - The Pennsylvania and Tennessee-class ACRsPosted: April 22nd, 2014, 11:37 am
[ img ]

Circled what I was talking about. Seems a bit off to me aft as if you forgot to colour that area.

[Profile] [Quote]
DG_Alpha
Post subject: Re: The Big Ten - The Pennsylvania and Tennessee-class ACRsPosted: April 22nd, 2014, 11:41 am
Those really are some handsome cruisers!

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: The Big Ten - The Pennsylvania and Tennessee-class ACRsPosted: April 22nd, 2014, 11:56 am
Updated the picture with more articulate shading.

@Denodon. No, those indentations are exactly as they ought to be. They angle slightly inward inversely with each other. and if you look closely at the aft one it is colored in, in a very pale off-white nuance. Thank you for clarifying your points!

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: The Big Ten - The Pennsylvania and Tennessee-class ACRsPosted: April 22nd, 2014, 12:20 pm
bezobrazov wrote:
Ahhh..well, ace, you already eat part of them, so I'm quite satisfied! (About the off-white tone) 8-) ;) :D

Thiel's comment made your second paragraph make sense. I have, indeed, overlooked that part and will adjust it accordingly. :)
that was an question, if it really was that shade I would have called the great white fleet the great gold fleet myself :P I just asked if you were sure, and your reply seemed to be an answer that you were sure. no need to eat anything, except for my sandwich right now.

EDIT: anyways, your edit looks much better. I suppose you used the 45 degrees rule for the underwater hull shape?

Last edited by acelanceloet on April 22nd, 2014, 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Syzmo
Post subject: Re: The Big Ten - The Pennsylvania and Tennessee-class ACRsPosted: April 22nd, 2014, 12:22 pm
There is nothing I love more than a beautiful ship beautifully drawn. Well worth the wait, keep em coming!

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity, but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." Thomas Edward Lawrence, The Seven Pillars of Wisdom

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: The Big Ten - The Pennsylvania and Tennessee-class ACRsPosted: April 22nd, 2014, 12:43 pm
Looks very impressive to me.
Shading white is always going to be a pain. I think the results are pretty good.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: The Big Ten - The Pennsylvania and Tennessee-class ACRsPosted: April 22nd, 2014, 1:03 pm
Thank you ace. I really appreciate your compliment. And, yes, I did attempt that (the 45 degree-rule), though, being devoid of all scientific tools, I had to measure it in my head and thence apply it. Glad you find it acceptable.

As for white, it is, as Hood says a pain, really a major pain in someone's hiney! 8-)
I have done my best to represent it, with different hues of off-white, tapering to a more yellowish tone, as you correctly have noticed. I have studied colorite photos and paintings of these ships extensively, and I think I've managed to capture those hues well enough.

So, enjoy your sandwich, my friend! ;) :D

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: The Big Ten - The Pennsylvania and Tennessee-class ACRsPosted: April 22nd, 2014, 2:20 pm
bezobrazov wrote:
Thank you ace. I really appreciate your compliment. And, yes, I did attempt that (the 45 degree-rule), though, being devoid of all scientific tools, I had to measure it in my head and thence apply it. Glad you find it acceptable.
if you used the 45 degree-rule: the stern are okay, but not the bow (under waterline). the hull shape in the bow is quit sharp in that area. at the moment you bow shading indicate that this is an bath-tub with guns!

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: The Big Ten - The Pennsylvania and Tennessee-class ACRsPosted: April 22nd, 2014, 3:36 pm
Cleaned the drawing on my work computer's paint-program and refined the shading some more.

No, Henrik, as with most ships designed around the turn of the last century, the Big Tens did not have particularly fine lines at the bows. They certainly did not have the pencil-thin L/B ratio that most later cruisers showed! So, if you see her as a bath tub, then you're welcome to do that! 8-)

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 9  [ 82 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 59 »

Jump to: