Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 3 of 9  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 59 »
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: The Big Ten - The Pennsylvania and Tennessee-class ACRsPosted: April 22nd, 2014, 3:50 pm
I think both underwater and above water hull shading might benefit from an slightly lower contrast. if you look at how subtle it is on my rotterdam class https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/632 ... am%202.png for example, which shows the shape perfectly fine but is not so eye piercing as this one.

there is no perfect method, but I would prefer some experimenting here :P

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: The Big Ten - The Pennsylvania and Tennessee-class ACRsPosted: April 22nd, 2014, 3:52 pm
Well, I can consider that. It might not be done in an instant, since I'm at work, but I'm not against trying it out!

Thanks, ace, for suggesting that!

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: The Big Ten - The Pennsylvania and Tennessee-class ACRsPosted: April 22nd, 2014, 4:22 pm
Did some more refining of the shading, trying to follow ace's good recommendations!

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: The Big Ten - The Pennsylvania and Tennessee-class ACRsPosted: April 22nd, 2014, 5:20 pm
I would keep it at just one shade, but other then that it looks good!

[Profile] [Quote]
darthpanda
Post subject: Re: The Big Ten - The Pennsylvania and Tennessee-class ACRsPosted: April 22nd, 2014, 6:06 pm
Great drawing!

- RHKAAF / HKGFS - 皇家香港輔助空軍 / 政府飛行服務隊
- Gunbucket - LINK

天滅中共全黨死清光!

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: The Big Ten - The Pennsylvania and Tennessee-class ACRsPosted: April 22nd, 2014, 6:32 pm
This is a great drawing Bezzo, one to be very proud of.
One remark by ace was not addressed, and that is the two black line extensions at the water line, both forward and aft.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: The Big Ten - The Pennsylvania and Tennessee-class ACRsPosted: April 22nd, 2014, 8:44 pm
Hi Novice, that line is a typical WL-marker, that you very often find on drawings - even technical ones to show the load waterline at standard displacement.

I was thinking of leaving the WL-marker off completely, but decided that, for pedagogic reasons to show it this way. I think it's the best way, with ships w/o a proper boot-topping.

[Profile] [Quote]
David Latuch
Post subject: Re: The Big Ten - The Pennsylvania and Tennessee-class ACRsPosted: April 22nd, 2014, 9:09 pm
Admiral Bezobrazov,

Excellent work. My hat's off to you.

Last edited by David Latuch on April 24th, 2014, 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: The Big Ten - The Pennsylvania and Tennessee-class ACRsPosted: April 22nd, 2014, 9:14 pm
bezobrazov wrote:
Hi Novice, that line is a typical WL-marker, that you very often find on drawings - even technical ones to show the load waterline at standard displacement.

I was thinking of leaving the WL-marker off completely, but decided that, for pedagogic reasons to show it this way. I think it's the best way, with ships w/o a proper boot-topping.
it is not typical (the typical one is a line at both ends with a few short lines underneath) and the black line over the waterline position on your ship does the job just fine. IIRC these small 'markers' are not even allowed in sb, and I agree with that, as there is no reason to include them.

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: The Big Ten - The Pennsylvania and Tennessee-class ACRsPosted: April 22nd, 2014, 9:29 pm
Well, I know exactly what you mean, ace. Have no doubts thereabouts! However, here's the dilemma. These ships, both in their "Great White Fleet" livery and, later their grey overall, lacked the later standard boot topping, which usually serves as an excellent wl-marker.

Now, if I leave the black line without the extensions, then people, not too familiar with these vessels, might construe it as an integral part of the ship, which it's not! - And on these ships the line dividing white from crimson-red cannot be taken as that measurement, since it was several feet above the CWL.

You see my dilemma?

I'm, however, open for constructive suggestions!

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 3 of 9  [ 82 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 59 »

Jump to: