Tempest
Post subject: Re: North Carolina class battleshipPosted: May 6th, 2014, 9:05 pm
These are brilliant!

German Capital Ship Projects of The First World War

[Profile] [Quote]
Colombamike
Post subject: Re: North Carolina class battleshipPosted: May 6th, 2014, 9:07 pm
Colosseum wrote:
Yes, I have no doubts whatsoever that it looks very similar to the false bow wave sometimes applied to other ships - but, like I mention above, I have not seen any official evidence supporting this conclusion. From reading more of my sources, seems there's no agreement here... people aren't sure if it's the result of wave action on the new camouflage, or if it was actually a prescribed false bow wave... again, I would prefer to see some official documents that mention it before I draw it. ;)
http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/sh-u ... n/bb55.htm
I concur

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: North Carolina class battleshipPosted: May 6th, 2014, 9:11 pm
I think the presence of notable fore-and-aft white lines in the supposed false bow wave in this image of Mike's support the flecking-paint argument. If the hull panels dished/flexed in somewhat, the heavier longitudinal frames supporting them would be the areas of highest material bending (that is, the tightest bend radius), and it is here where stiff paint would likely first crack, and thenceforth flake. We would expect to see lighter lines, where the darker paint has flaked off first (it would progressively flake away from these lines).

It's not enough to absolutely declare one conclusion over the other, but I think it generally supports the chipped-paint idea.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: North Carolina class battleshipPosted: May 6th, 2014, 9:17 pm
That's what I was thinking - especially when considering the photo of the heavy cruiser on the previous page of this thread. Note how its false bow wave has a smooth top, vs. the flecked and irregular appearance of BB-55's bow, which looks exactly like what I would think of as "chipped paint". :) ;)

Thanks gentlemen for all the feedback - with this sort of collaboration, confident I can get this ship to a near-perfect status ASAP.

edit: That brings us to our next question: whether or not the ship was painted in Measure 12 or Measure 1 during the shakedown. ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: North Carolina class battleshipPosted: May 6th, 2014, 9:33 pm
I agree...it's chipped paint; doesn't look 'right enough' to be part of a camo scheme. And seeing as she could go at a pretty good clip, I don't doubt there was paint chipped off! :)

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
Ollie
Post subject: Re: North Carolina class battleshipPosted: May 6th, 2014, 9:34 pm
Very nice drawings! One more you could do is the way she is today.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: North Carolina class battleshipPosted: May 7th, 2014, 3:00 am
emperor_andreas wrote:
KimWerner wrote:
Beautiful series of this impressive vessel :D
Agreed! I nominate Colo to do Washington and the South Dakotas as well!
That's a tall order... getting just BB-55 done has taken a lot out of me. ;) I work full time and finding time to draw these days is increasingly difficult... the only reason BB-55 is anywhere close to being done is because I have literally shut myself in for the last few weeks while I worked on it. ;)
Quote:
Very nice drawings! One more you could do is the way she is today.
I'm not too interested in this ship once it left USN service. If anyone else wants to make that modification, they are of course free to do so. ;)

Eagerly awaiting Colombamike's error catching for the June 1942 version - have to admit I worked mostly from plans for that one, as I only had three good quality photos that basically got used to confirm what I was seeing on those plans. I'm hoping we can have this ship finished by tomorrow evening - then it will be onto BB-56 if time permits.

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: North Carolina class battleshipPosted: May 7th, 2014, 3:21 am
Colosseum wrote:
That's a tall order... getting just BB-55 done has taken a lot out of me. ;) I work full time and finding time to draw these days is increasingly difficult... the only reason BB-55 is anywhere close to being done is because I have literally shut myself in for the last few weeks while I worked on it. ;)
But the Alaskas, the North Carolinas, and the Iowas have all been given the 'Colo treatment'. To leave out the last remaining WWII USN capital ship class would be incredibly unfair. :D

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: North Carolina class battleshipPosted: May 7th, 2014, 7:08 pm
I wouldn't say the Iowas are up to snuff... I need to go back through and revise all of the current ones. While I'm at it, need to also do that for the rest of the USN cruisers... what a nightmare project I have ahead of me. ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Colombamike
Post subject: Re: North Carolina class battleshipPosted: May 7th, 2014, 7:52 pm
Colosseum wrote:
August, 1941 during the shakedown cruise. One of the books I have lists "12" .50-caliber machine guns fitted during the shakedown, but as I can't locate them in any photographs (all save for one), I've chosen not to display them - if anyone has any idea where they might be located, please let me know.
[ img ]
Colosseum wrote:
The ship's November 1941 refit significantly increased the ship's AA fit - adding many more .50-caliber machine guns and 20mm Oerlikons. That same refit also added the large bracing to the aft Mk.38 director tower in an attempt to reduce vibration. Note lack of sky lookouts and target designators at the air defense level - these would be added in 1942.
Usefull for a november 1941- mid february 1942 version
Almost no 20mm added & only few additionnal 0,5" MGs added
[ img ]

North Carolina by late february 1942
[ img ]

North Carolina by march 1942
[ img ]

North Carolina, 17 april 1942
[ img ]

Washington, 14 may 1942
[ img ]
Colosseum wrote:
This is the ship as it appeared in June of 1942. Note the massive increase in anti-aircraft guns, as well as the addition of fire control radars on the Mk.38 main battery directors (carrying Mark 3 Mod. 1 sets), and Mark 4 sets on the Mk.37 directors (all except the aft director, which won't receive its Mark 4 until 1943). Note the removal of the Mk.35 navigational rangefinders and their (probably prudent) replacement with 20mm Oerlikon cannons. The ship has received more whip antennas and life rafts, among others.I think I've finally found a Measure 12 modified color scheme that actually works - taken from the Wikipedia USN camouflage page.
North Carolina, 03 june 1942
[ img ]

Washington, 21 august 1942
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 8 of 15  [ 150 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page « 16 7 8 9 1015 »

Jump to: