Yamashiro as of 1935:
Between december 18th 1930 and march 30th 1935, Yamashiro was refitted at the Yokosuka Naval Yard. She was re-boilered, re-engined, bulged and lenghtened (Fuso did the former two upgrades in 1930-33, the bulging in two phases and the llenghtening only in 1934-35), a catapult for aircrafts was fitted at the stern, with a foldable crane for aircraft handling operations (On fuso this happened only in 1941, before the catapult was located on top of turret three). The fore and aft superstructures were rebuilt into huge pagoda towers, the forward funnel removed and a searchlinght platform added abreast the aft, and now only, funnel. An auxiliary searchlight platform was located on the fore superstructure, above the navigation bridge. The maximum elevation of both the 14 and 6-inch guns improved, the capstan for the second starboard anchor was removed, but the anchor itself retained as an auxiliary one. Quadruple 13mm machine guns were carried as the light anti-aircraft armament, as a complement to the four twin-5inch guns fitted on the superstructure. Three Nakajima E4N acted as reconnaissance floatplanes.
From november 15th 1935, Yamashiro became the Combined Fleet Flagship.
Yamashiro as of 1941:
Between june 27th 1937 and march 31st 1938, Yamashiro underwent a further modernization, being replaced by Mutsu on december 1st 1937 as the flagship.
During the refit the secon starboard anchor was removed altogheter, the foremost 6-inch casemate guns were landed, twin 25mm machine guns replaced the quadruple 13mm ones, modifications were made to the forward superstructure, with the deletion of the auxiliary searchlight platform and the addition of new platforms. A machine gun director was fitted abreast the funnel, and the searchlight platform were rearranged. Finally, three Nakajima E8N replaced the older E4N and one of the 17m motor pinaces was landed.