Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 5 of 8  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page « 13 4 5 6 7 8 »
Tempest
Post subject: Re: British A to I Class DestroyersPosted: November 26th, 2014, 6:52 pm
Really cool ships guys. Who's doing what next?

German Capital Ship Projects of The First World War

[Profile] [Quote]
Charybdis
Post subject: Re: British A to I Class DestroyersPosted: November 26th, 2014, 11:19 pm
Great stuff!

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: British A to I Class DestroyersPosted: January 22nd, 2015, 12:19 pm
While doing research on the internet on the A-I class ships I kept coming across these drawings from Jabba of HMS Antelope. On investigating further the drawings had appeared in the Beginners Topic, they were Jabba's first drawings. I PM'd Jabba asking to revamp the drawings and place them in this thread. It took awhile for his reply as noted in his return to life thread. To cut a long story short, I rearmed the ships with the latest weaponry, replaced the lower hull with Gollevainen's hull from the Achates and voila we have three new ships to add to this thread.

First is HMS Antelope in 1930 as completed.
[ img ]

Second is HMS Antelope after its first major refit during the war at 1941. Note it is still mounting the single 2 pounder guns amidships. Just shows hoe much pressure the armaments industry was under to fulfil the orders for modern weaponry. The second funnel has been cut down to reduce topweight.
[ img ]

Third and last is HMS Antelope in 1944, the armaments manufacturers both home and abroad have caught up and the Antelope now bristles with modern light AA guns. The 12 pounder in 'A' position is a bit of a mystery, I can not see why the original 4.7" would not have done the same job unless the 12 pounder has AA capabilities, or it is being used as a bow chaser.
[ img ]

Last edited by Krakatoa on January 29th, 2015, 6:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Bombhead
Post subject: Re: British A to I Class DestroyersPosted: January 22nd, 2015, 6:32 pm
Nigel the badge for Antelope should be of the shield shape. ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: British A to I Class DestroyersPosted: January 22nd, 2015, 6:58 pm
Thanks BH,
Always the way, I had two to choose from and since Hardy had the round one I figured Antelope would be the same. I will be glad when Kim's archive is back up and running so I do not have to guess any more.

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: British A to I Class DestroyersPosted: January 22nd, 2015, 8:16 pm
Very nice update Nigel.
The badge itself is not accurate [ img ].
The 12-pdr was indeed a dual purpose gun as opposed to the 4.7" gun which was limited to 30 degrees elevation (hardly an AA gun).
In 1943 HMS Antelope was re-armed with the removal of the 3" (12 pdr) gun amidships which was replaced by 2X2 20 Oerlokon twin mountings and in 1944 her A 4.7" gun was removed for Hedgehog and two 57mm (6 pdr Hotchkiss in single mountings ) as bow chasers. Incidently her pre-war 40mm guns were never removed, and was decommissioned in July or August 1944 because of the RN manning shortage.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
KimWerner
Post subject: Re: British A to I Class DestroyersPosted: January 22nd, 2015, 9:06 pm
Yeah, Novice found the right badge motive. ;)

All relevant Coat of Arms

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: British A to I Class DestroyersPosted: January 22nd, 2015, 9:18 pm
Nice work!

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: British A to I Class DestroyersPosted: January 22nd, 2015, 9:37 pm
Yeah I saw that one thanks Novice but I did not think I could draw it. The antelope head I did draw fitted nicely in the round template but looks a bit lost in the Badge template. If someone else wants to draw it I would be happy for them to do so. I did see three different badge motifs when I looked.

[ img ]

Just looking at the supposed real badges, they are drawn wrongly anyway, from the tilt of the head you should not be able to see both antlers as depicted.

[Profile] [Quote]
Bombhead
Post subject: Re: British A to I Class DestroyersPosted: January 22nd, 2015, 9:49 pm
The one on the far right is the official Admiralty pattern Nige. 8-)

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 5 of 8  [ 79 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page « 13 4 5 6 7 8 »

Jump to: