Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 4 of 8  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 68 »
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: British A to I Class DestroyersPosted: November 19th, 2014, 2:05 am
HMS Hardy (1936)

HMS Hardy was the flotilla leader for the H-class destroyers, built for the Royal Navy in the mid-1930s. During the Spanish Civil War of 1936–1939 the ship spent considerable time in Spanish waters, enforcing the arms blockade imposed by Britain and France on both sides of the conflict. Hardy was transferred to Freetown, Sierra Leone, in October 1939 to hunt for German commerce raiders in the South Atlantic with Force K. After returning to the United Kingdom in early 1940, the ship became flagship of the 2nd Destroyer Flotilla assigned to the Home Fleet. During the Norwegian campaign of 1940, Hardy participated in the First Battle of Narvik where she sank one German destroyer. As the British ships were withdrawing, they were discovered by two other German destroyers that so badly damaged Hardy that she had to be run aground to stop her from sinking. The ship was lifted by a rising tide and eventually capsized.

[ img ]

I did not do much to get the Hardy correct. The G/H/I leaders were 337 feet where Exmouth was 343 feet. The pronounced beak at front of bridge was even more bandstand like on the Hardy. The 0.5"mg's were mounted slightly further forward. The pole masts of Exmouth were strengthened to tripods on the Hardy.

Last edited by Krakatoa on May 4th, 2015, 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
signal
Post subject: Re: British A to I Class DestroyersPosted: November 19th, 2014, 4:02 am
Did the Hardy have any of the coloured stripes on her gun shields that
marked most, if not all, of the other ships' turrets/shields that were on
blockade duty?

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: British A to I Class DestroyersPosted: November 19th, 2014, 6:13 am
Yes it did - on B turret. The photo I used showed them clearly. Quite easy to do if anyone wants a version with them. Split B turret into 3, red, white, and blue lines.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: British A to I Class DestroyersPosted: November 19th, 2014, 8:37 am
Excellent work on the Hardy. This is going to be an impressive thread.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: British A to I Class DestroyersPosted: November 19th, 2014, 1:36 pm
These are great!

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: British A to I Class DestroyersPosted: November 19th, 2014, 4:52 pm
KimWerner wrote:
This is just good! I've recently discovered which effort it takes making vessels of this size looking good. What I'm trying to say is, that my admiration for your drawings has grown very much (and the admiration wasn't small before ;) )
Thanks.
But I must confess Im not that newbie in what comes to destroyers from 20s/30s, since propably 80% of all the SB stuff I've done has been of those trough these years. Proplem is, that habit of mine has been almost exclusively for my never ending quest to make proper Finnish AU stuff, and thus almost none of those drawings have left my vaults, since I've keep switching my mind. And if beeing truthfull, these ships are spinoff from that same indulgence as well, but this time I decided to try doing fully real ships alongside. So I have had practice :)
But I do consider these couple of drawings one of my best work as well.
Krakatoa wrote:
HMS Hardy (1936)

Looks good. Are you planning to continue from here?

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: British A to I Class DestroyersPosted: November 19th, 2014, 6:21 pm
Golly, I did that one (HMS Hardy) because I have stalled on the E class cruisers for the present. Once I finish those I will do some more.

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: British A to I Class DestroyersPosted: November 19th, 2014, 6:49 pm
Excellent work!

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: British A to I Class DestroyersPosted: November 19th, 2014, 7:45 pm
One of my favorites leaders was HMS Hardy, and seeing her here, in such a splendid fashion...
Thank you Nigel for this one and hope to see more ;)

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
KimWerner
Post subject: Re: British A to I Class DestroyersPosted: November 22nd, 2014, 10:52 pm
Beautiful drawing of HMS Hardy you've done Krakatoa :D

All relevant Coat of Arms

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 4 of 8  [ 79 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 68 »

Jump to: