HMS Bellerophon, 1913
HMS Bellerophon as she appeared in 1913.
Bellerophon underwent refit in 1913 before rejoining the 1st Division, which had been reorganized as the 1st Battle Squadron, Home Fleet. Her fore control platform was rebuilt along the lines of her sisters, and her 24in searchlight and range indicator were removed. The 4 in guns atop the fore turret were remounted in the forward superstructure, above the existing forward pair of 4 in guns. Blast screens were also fitted for the 4 in guns mounted on the wing turrets. The bridge structure was modified and expanded, being built back around the tripod legs to leave the forward conning tower clear. Bellerophon’s searchlights were redistributed in a concentrated pattern, with a pair fitted on a platform on the after tripod, 4 mounted in new platforms above the bridge on the forward tripod, and two mounted on new platforms abeam the fore funnel. The expanded bridgework and new searchlight platforms gave Bellerophon the heaviest appearance in the class at this time.