Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 4 of 6  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
al1194
Post subject: Re: Invincible Class BattlecruisersPosted: March 5th, 2015, 6:20 pm
acelanceloet: are there specific areas where you think the shading is incorrect? I'd be happy to take a look!
bezobrazov: I think I've followed the flag arrangement from jabba's original drawing, which flags specifically should I add/remove? Thanks!

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Invincible Class BattlecruisersPosted: March 5th, 2015, 6:48 pm
well, it depends on what intel you have on these ships. if you know exactly how the hull looks (from plans or good dock pictures) you might be able to use another shading style. as you currently have, it gives little other information then the shipbucket standard (for example https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/632 ... 71%201.png) which IMO should be followed here....... unless you have enough information to actually shade the shape of the hull, as per this example: http://www.shipbucket.com/forums/viewto ... 66#p138066

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Invincible Class BattlecruisersPosted: March 5th, 2015, 8:20 pm
Good work!

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Invincible Class BattlecruisersPosted: March 5th, 2015, 10:10 pm
Thanks for replying alt1194! What you need todo is to "hoist two White Ensigns" on her middle fore yardarm, replace the Vice Admiral's ensign at her foretop with another (fifth) White Ensign, moving the said VA-flag to the edge of the port top yardarm. What you're showing is the ship during the aftermath of the battle (except the VA-flag), when both Invincible and Inflexible struck the redundant battle flags and hoisted the White Ensign on their fantail. - For some reason I thought I had submitted that configuration to Jabba, but evidently never did... having roamed through my site messages, I realize Jabba and I communicated about the HMS Lion, not the Invincible.

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: Invincible Class BattlecruisersPosted: March 5th, 2015, 11:09 pm
VERY nice work!

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
al1194
Post subject: Re: Invincible Class BattlecruisersPosted: March 8th, 2015, 6:07 pm
HMS Invincible, 1914
[ img ]
HMS Invincible as she appeared during the Battle of the Falkland Islands on December 8, 1914.

How do the flags look now bezo? Also, do you happen to know the flag arrangement of Inflexible at the same engagement?
acelancelot: I did the underwater shading based on the cross sections I have of the hull, but I will check this again.

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: Invincible Class BattlecruisersPosted: March 8th, 2015, 7:12 pm
VERY nice work!

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Invincible Class BattlecruisersPosted: March 8th, 2015, 8:50 pm
as I said, what you have drawn is not all wrong or something like that. it is just that this shading tells very little about the hull, and if you have cross sections the 45 degrees shading style would IMO be a lot more representative of this ships hull shape.

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Invincible Class BattlecruisersPosted: March 8th, 2015, 8:52 pm
Great work!

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Invincible Class BattlecruisersPosted: March 9th, 2015, 2:45 am
Very good try, my friend, but, just an eenie too many flags! Sturdee, did hoist his Vice Admiral's flag on the forward port top yardarm - my bad for not clarifying that!

It'll all be good if you revert the aft mast/flag arrangement back to as your original drawing showed, and shifted Sturdee's flag, like I said, to the ship's forward port top yardarm!

As for the Inflexible, she followed suit, as Sturdee did order full set of battle flags hoisted, though, of course, she did not fly any command pennant. The extremely hazy pictures that do exist and the oral and written descriptions from eye-witnesses appear to bear this out that the Inflexible by and large confirmed to her sister's flag shrouding.

The reason for this show of flags in a very literal sense was the concern that flags might be shot away but also to facilitate an unambigious method of identifying friend from foe, in these days way before IFF had been conceived!

FYI: I think you actually managed to fit the forward "wing"-flags very admirably! Keep them that way!

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 4 of 6  [ 52 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »

Jump to: