Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 3  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 »
Jellicoe
Post subject: HMS Galatea (1891)Posted: August 24th, 2015, 2:16 pm
Well, here goes. I have opened a Photobucket account and this is my first attempt at an upload to the forum. I don't think that any drawing accreditations are required here but I would give a mention to Darth Panda because I used his colour renderings. Thanks also to those who answered my introductory post, particularly with regards to uploading (actually, that remains to be seen).

Galatea was an Orlando class belted cruiser built in 1885. Despite having an impressively powerful armament of 9.2-inch, 6-inch and 6 torpedo tubes, they were not a successful class. They were turned out hugely overweight; the tops of their armour belts sat two feet below the water-line where they were next to useless.

So, Galatea goes into the bear-pit for peer review. As my first effort, it would be a resounding success if she appears in this post! I am more concerned about compliance with Shipbucket protocols than anything else so comments in that regard will be especially welcome.

Ladies and gentlemen, she's all yours!

[ img ]

Last edited by Jellicoe on August 24th, 2015, 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Jellicoe
Post subject: Re: HMS Galatea (1891)Posted: August 24th, 2015, 2:19 pm
Well, that didn't work too well, did it? You shouldn't have to click on a link to see the image. What is it that everybody else is doing and I am not?

[Profile] [Quote]
Rowdy36
Post subject: Re: HMS Galatea (1891)Posted: August 24th, 2015, 3:06 pm
Looks like an excellent first effort! :)
Regarding Shipbucket protocols the only thing I can see is that there are some double black lines in the masts - try to avoid these if at all possible, even if it means sacrificing some accuracy (ie. it would make the masts appear thicker in the drawing than in real life).
With the link, try removing the outermost [img] tags and changing the front [img] tag to lower caps, that should work. Keep up the good work, I hope to see more in the future :)

[Profile] [Quote]
Jellicoe
Post subject: Re: HMS Galatea (1891)Posted: August 24th, 2015, 3:16 pm
Yahoo! Thanks, Rowdy36; that did the trick.

I wondered about the double black lines when I drew them. I know they are frowned upon in Shipbucket style so I was being wilful by including them. They seem to be unavoidable where tapered masts are concerned but I will trawl through other people's drawings and see how they handled the problem.

[Profile] [Quote]
Rowdy36
Post subject: Re: HMS Galatea (1891)Posted: August 24th, 2015, 3:36 pm
Yes that is a limitation of the scale, something that becomes more noticeable for ships of this era or earlier. Project Sail here is possibly the best place to find how others do masts in Shipbucket scale.

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: HMS Galatea (1891)Posted: August 24th, 2015, 6:03 pm
thats a really good start, and welcome aboard.
As for the mast, i suggest to exagerate their width little bit, that way it comes easier to "cone" them towards the top.

and moved to real designs

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: HMS Galatea (1891)Posted: August 24th, 2015, 6:47 pm
Gollevainen wrote:
thats a really good start, and welcome aboard.
As for the mast, i suggest to exagerate their width little bit, that way it comes easier to "cone" them towards the top.

and moved to real designs
I have always wondered is it possible to do one black line and one dark gray line next to it...

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: HMS Galatea (1891)Posted: August 24th, 2015, 7:00 pm
heuhen wrote:
I have always wondered is it possible to do one black line and one dark grey line next to it...
This has been done on several occasions, for example on smaller guns.
Jellicoe
A very fine effort, well deserved to be in the Real Life thread.
I can't comment on the accuracy of the drawing itself, or if it was re-sized by Photobucket, but I do think that the 6" guns are not that well represented. It is also customary to show guns aligned fore and aft, unless the real mounting couldn't be so trained.
All in all an excellent first, well done, and please continue to add more ships.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: HMS Galatea (1891)Posted: August 24th, 2015, 7:20 pm
It's a great start! Keep it up!

[Profile] [Quote]
tsd715
Post subject: Re: HMS Galatea (1891)Posted: August 24th, 2015, 10:39 pm
What an amazing start! She's an incredibly beautiful ship. Very sleek.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 3  [ 25 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page 1 2 3 »

Jump to: