Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 4  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 4 »
waterwings
Post subject: Updated Type 45Posted: November 25th, 2015, 6:31 pm
Hey,

I posted a variant of this a long while back in the beginners forum, and I'm sorry it's a current RN ship, I know how boring that must be for you guys, but it's the main thing I'm interested in :roll: .... Anyway, I was looking at the T45 currently in the database and purely as a experiment I attempted a new version from scratch. From pictures I'd seen the sonar dome at the bow looked different in the database version to other images I'd see so I tried to incorporate that, and added the Harpoon launchers that Duncan has now. My question really is how can I improve the hull shading? I'm absolutely useless at it, and I don't really know how to fix it. Does anyone have any suggestions?

[ img ]

For reference, the T45 currently in the database (with the elongated sonar dome):

[ img ]

Thanks! Sorry if this is in the wrong place! :?

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: Updated Type 45Posted: November 25th, 2015, 8:09 pm
Well, for starters, at least someone is taking a crack at updating the T45!

I'd look into buying http://www.amazon.co.uk/Royal-Navy-Type ... 0857332406 if you don't already have it as it has fair bit of information and reference material in it (not to mention SB drawings).

As for shading, I'd ask ace for help on illustrating below the waterline correctly. I'd stray away from shading above the waterline in that style and concentrate on illustrating the flare of the bow.

The only really major things I'd change are the props and rudder, the props themselves look slightly peculiar shape wise and as far as I can ascertain the rudders finish flush with the keel, not on the angle.

Minor changes I'd suggest to make are to actually illustrate the elements on the UHF and VHF arrays, inclusion of the vent grille below the SCOT domes and finally if you're willing, to do the minor changes present on the foremast between ships.

Notwithstanding the things mentioned I'm happy to see the T45 getting some love at long last.

~Mark.

[Profile] [Quote]
Philbob
Post subject: Re: Updated Type 45Posted: November 26th, 2015, 1:52 am
If you want to do a what if. It is likely the royal navy will fit the t45 with BAE 5" /62 guns in the late 20's when they go in for refit.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Updated Type 45Posted: November 27th, 2015, 9:03 am
It's a nice update.
I can't add anything to Blackbuck's very sensible comments. Overall looks good so far.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
waterwings
Post subject: Re: Updated Type 45Posted: December 22nd, 2015, 10:11 pm
[ img ]

Okay guys, bit of an update:

- Changed hull shading to try and illustrate the flare better and replace what was there originally, which was just wrong.
- Included various minor tweaks (inc. SCOT dome grille)
- changed rudders and props, hopefully for the better

Does the new hull shading work better? :roll:

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Updated Type 45Posted: December 22nd, 2015, 10:46 pm
I'm not qualified to comment on whether or not it's accurate, but visually it's a huge improvement.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Updated Type 45Posted: December 22nd, 2015, 10:51 pm
on the stern, the shading looks quite ok, but I have to say that you are still off on the bow.
I don't know if you have seen this? http://www.shipbucket.com/forums/viewto ... f=5&t=5460
I would also tone down the darkness of the shading a bit myself, IMO it should look more like this http://shipbucket.com/Never%20Built%20D ... 201965.png , but that is mostly personal preference.

an good example to compare your hull shading too for general shape and layout would be blackbucks AU ships, some of which are based on real life RN ships, for example this https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/942 ... ss_FFG.png

keep up the good work! and I leave people more knowledgeable about these ships to point out any problems remaining, if any.

[Profile] [Quote]
waterwings
Post subject: Re: Updated Type 45Posted: December 23rd, 2015, 1:30 am
I think I see what you mean ... a bit more like this?

[ img ]
I toned down the colours a bit too :D

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Updated Type 45Posted: December 23rd, 2015, 6:56 pm
Prop.

Last edited by bezobrazov on December 24th, 2015, 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Updated Type 45Posted: December 23rd, 2015, 7:40 pm
waterwings, that looks good. as far as I can see without any references, it looks correct.
the propeller is actually not the old forum template propeller which was wrong, and while I suspect bezobrazov is right about it not being the right shape (adjustable bolted propellers are noted when I googled, so they are certainly different then the adjustable pitch propellers on the LCF [sources: http://www.naval-technology.com/contrac ... ropulsion/ & http://www.rolls-royce.com/~/media/File ... ellers.pdf] I think the tone of the above post was not very nice considering that the propeller is new drawn and not lazy copy paste, as seems to be assumed.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 4  [ 39 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page 1 2 3 4 »

Jump to: