Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 4  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 4 »
Charybdis
Post subject: USN Prewar Carriers: USS WASP CV-7 (revisited)Posted: May 21st, 2016, 11:17 pm
Wasp was a product of the Washington Naval Treaty. After the construction of the carriers Yorktown and Enterprise, the U.S. was still permitted 15,000 long tons (15,000 t) to build a carrier.
Wasp was the first carrier fitted with a deck edge elevator.

The Navy sought to squeeze a large air group onto a ship with nearly 25% less displacement than the Yorktown-class. In order to save weight and space, Wasp was constructed with low-power machinery.

She was initially employed in the Atlantic campaign where Axis naval forces were perceived as less capable of inflicting decisive damage. After supporting the occupation of Iceland in 1941, Wasp joined the British Home Fleet in April 1942 and twice ferried British fighter aircraft to Malta. She transferred to the Pacific in June 1942 to replace losses at the battles of Coral Sea and Midway. After supporting the invasion of Guadalcanal, Wasp was sunk by the Japanese submarine I-19 on 15 September 1942.

This is an update of a drawing I made a few years ago, which is looking rather tawdry now. I will follow this up with a 1942 version.

Just a couple of details to be added...

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
signal
Post subject: Re: USN Prewar Carriers: USS WASP CV-7 (revisited)Posted: May 21st, 2016, 11:42 pm
Charybdis wrote:
Wasp was a product of the Washington Naval Treaty. After the construction of the carriers Yorktown and Enterprise, the U.S. was still permitted 15,000 long tons (15,000 t) to build a carrier.
Wasp was the first carrier fitted with a deck edge elevator.

The Navy sought to squeeze a large air group onto a ship with nearly 25% less displacement than the Yorktown-class. In order to save weight and space, Wasp was constructed with low-power machinery.

She was initially employed in the Atlantic campaign where Axis naval forces were perceived as less capable of inflicting decisive damage. After supporting the occupation of Iceland in 1941, Wasp joined the British Home Fleet in April 1942 and twice ferried British fighter aircraft to Malta. She transferred to the Pacific in June 1942 to replace losses at the battles of Coral Sea and Midway. After supporting the invasion of Guadalcanal, Wasp was sunk by the Japanese submarine I-19 on 15 September 1942.

This is an update of a drawing I made a few years ago, which is looking rather tawdry now. I will follow this up with a 1942 version.

Just a couple of details to be added...

[ img ]
Wonderful. Thank you.

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: USN Prewar Carriers: USS WASP CV-7 (revisited)Posted: May 22nd, 2016, 6:58 am
good update, and as I always say, the more USN carriers we see on the bucket, the better it is for all of us :)

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: USN Prewar Carriers: USS WASP CV-7 (revisited)Posted: May 22nd, 2016, 7:44 am
I would note on the overhead that the gun control housings do not show on the bridge?

You say about Wasp having the first deck edge lift. I take it that that is an upgrade to the ship between the 1940 drawing above and the next 1942 drawing you will be adding later?

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: USN Prewar Carriers: USS WASP CV-7 (revisited)Posted: May 22nd, 2016, 9:01 am
Great work!

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
signal
Post subject: Re: USN Prewar Carriers: USS WASP CV-7 (revisited)Posted: May 22nd, 2016, 9:51 am
Krakatoa wrote:
I would note on the overhead that the gun control housings do not show on the bridge?

You say about Wasp having the first deck edge lift. I take it that that is an upgrade to the ship between the 1940 drawing above and the next 1942 drawing you will be adding later?
The deck edge lift/elevator was a folding design located on the port side,
forward of the bridge. It was more of a framework than the deck edge
lifts found on the Essex class. It had no decking that a crew member
could stand or walk on. It is not visible in the overhead view, as it was
also not visible in the aerial photos of the ship. The lift was part of the
ship's original design. There are some nice photos of it with an aircraft
on Google images for USS Wasp CV-7.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: USN Prewar Carriers: USS WASP CV-7 (revisited)Posted: May 22nd, 2016, 8:10 pm
Great stuff. I still owe you the revised Mk.33 directors but time has been annoyingly scarce recently!

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: USN Prewar Carriers: USS WASP CV-7 (revisited)Posted: May 22nd, 2016, 9:39 pm
Great work!

[Profile] [Quote]
KimWerner
Post subject: Re: USN Prewar Carriers: USS WASP CV-7 (revisited)Posted: May 23rd, 2016, 8:44 pm
Beautiful update :D

All relevant Coat of Arms

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: USN Prewar Carriers: USS WASP CV-7 (revisited)Posted: May 23rd, 2016, 9:44 pm
VERY nice work!

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 4  [ 32 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page 1 2 3 4 »

Jump to: