Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
KWAM
Post subject: Japanese Destroyer YukikazePosted: August 23rd, 2016, 3:56 pm
[ img ]

This was something I've had sitting around for a while.

Getting some of the details down was a pain. I couldn't find any useful photos of her from early-mid 1945, and a lot of the models and line drawings differed in the small details, especially the rigging. I still wouldn't really call it done, and any criticism or help would be appreciated.

Darth Panda's Kagero was used as a base, updated with new weapons and equipment from BB1987 IJN parts sheet. Color palette was taken from Erusia Force's Kure Yamato (should really stop stealing his stuff at some point). Also thanks to emperor_andreas for sending me some extra photos.

Yukikaze was one of the most famous IJN destroyers of the war. She was there for the battle of Midway, the Guadalcanal campaign, and Leyte Gulf among others. She was present at the sinkings of all three of the Yamato-class ships (including Shinano). Yukikaze was one of only three pre-war IJN destroyers to survive the war, and was given to the Republic of China (Taiwan) as reparations. Supposedly she was Chiang Kai-shek's flagship during his evacuation from the mainland, and served with the Taiwanese navy as ROCS Tan Yang until the mid-late 1960s.

[Profile] [Quote]
BB1987
Post subject: Re: Japanese Destroyer YukikazePosted: August 23rd, 2016, 4:10 pm
Hi KWAM! If all the guns, equipment and parts you used come from the IJN parts sheet and not from other drawings you can leave my name out of the credits line. There is no need for it to be there.

Excellent drawing anyway, I have just one observation to be made. By 1945 no IJN destroyers retained their name spelled on the side. Those were gone by the end of 1942.

-Koko Kyouwakoku (Republic of Koko)
-Koko's carrier-based aircrafts of WWII
-Koko Kaiun Yuso Kaisha - KoKaYu Line (Koko AU spinoff)
-Koko - Civil Aviation

[Profile] [Quote]
Shigure
Post subject: Re: Japanese Destroyer YukikazePosted: August 23rd, 2016, 4:24 pm
This is awesome! Well done! The bridge looks a lot like Harekaze, an AU Kagero drawing I made(edited), now that I see it

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: Japanese Destroyer YukikazePosted: August 23rd, 2016, 7:30 pm
I agree with BB1987...EPIC drawing, just take the name off the side. They were gone by July 1942 (reason I say July is because there are pics of Kazagumo being commissioned in March and Akizuki running trials in May and both have their side lettering). Subchasers and minesweepers and even the numbered kaibokans kept their numbers on their sides well into 1944.

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
KWAM
Post subject: Re: Japanese Destroyer YukikazePosted: August 23rd, 2016, 9:36 pm
[ img ]

Name on side of hull removed.

Left BB1987 on the authors list. Considering how much stuff I used from that parts list, not crediting him just felt wrong and I couldn't remove it in good conscience.
TristanAlting wrote:
The bridge looks a lot like Harekaze, an AU Kagero drawing I made(edited), now that I see it
The one from the show? Wasn't that supposed to be a Kagero-class to begin with?

[Profile] [Quote]
BB1987
Post subject: Re: Japanese Destroyer YukikazePosted: August 23rd, 2016, 10:22 pm
KWAM wrote:
TristanAlting wrote:
The bridge looks a lot like Harekaze, an AU Kagero drawing I made(edited), now that I see it
The one from the show? Wasn't that supposed to be a Kagero-class to begin with?
Yes indeed, Even beign a fictional ship it is supposed to be a Kagero class, so that's not a strange thing that they do look alike (not only the bridge...)

Anyway, forgive me KWAM for not noticing earlier. The DD main gun director in my parts sheet is an earlier set that equipped the Shiratsuyu and Asashio classes, the Kagero appeared to have a different, slighty smaller director, albeit still containing the very same gunfire-control + rangefinder equipment. Pretty much like since it appeared that until roughly midway through the war the Japanese somewhat loved to redo from scratch all their director sets with every new class of ships. Even despite the fire control systems fitted inside was basically the same on them all.... (oh standardization, you unknown little thing....)
While I have not drawn the director equipping the Kagero class, I just realized I actually had access to some sources about the IJN Yukikaze (I beg your pardon from not remembering about them while you said you were still woriing on it). So, if I manage to squeeze a bit of time for it in the next few days, I can draw that particular set, for both you and the parts sheet. More so, if you want, I might manage to send some of those sources to you. They are mainly linedrawings, so some features should doublechecked through pictures, but they do cover Yukikaze appearance shortly after commissioning (in 1941), midway through the conflict (in 1943) and at the end of it (in 1945).

-Koko Kyouwakoku (Republic of Koko)
-Koko's carrier-based aircrafts of WWII
-Koko Kaiun Yuso Kaisha - KoKaYu Line (Koko AU spinoff)
-Koko - Civil Aviation

[Profile] [Quote]
KWAM
Post subject: Re: Japanese Destroyer YukikazePosted: August 23rd, 2016, 11:12 pm
BB1987 wrote:
While I have not drawn the director equipping the Kagero class, I just realized I actually had access to some sources about the IJN Yukikaze (I beg your pardon from not remembering about them while you said you were still woriing on it). So, if I manage to squeeze a bit of time for it in the next few days, I can draw that particular set, for both you and the parts sheet. More so, if you want, I might manage to send some of those sources to you. They are mainly linedrawings, so some features should doublechecked through pictures, but they do cover Yukikaze appearance shortly after commissioning (in 1941), midway through the conflict (in 1943) and at the end of it (in 1945).
That would be wonderful if you could get me the sources. I should probably start working on that Izumo soon, but there should be time to make some corrections to this one.
BB1987 wrote:
(oh standardization, you unknown little thing....)
US standardization policy really was great with everyone producing and using the same weapons in the same mounts. Meanwhile Yamato is over there carrying 24 127mm guns, half of which are in open mountings and the other half in enclosed, none of which are the ones used by any of their destroyers which seem to introduce a new type of mounting for what is pretty much the same gun every other class...

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Japanese Destroyer YukikazePosted: August 23rd, 2016, 11:56 pm
To be fair the USN did make something like thirty different mountings for the 5"/38

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
KWAM
Post subject: Re: Japanese Destroyer YukikazePosted: August 24th, 2016, 3:16 am
Thiel wrote:
To be fair the USN did make something like thirty different mountings for the 5"/38
Could have sworn the general design stayed pretty consistent, and most of the variants were really minor alterations.

Or I could just be remembering completely wrong and mixing this up with something else.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Japanese Destroyer YukikazePosted: August 24th, 2016, 5:41 am
They did try to keep parts commonality as high as possible but they did en up making full turrets, base ring mounts and pedestal mounts, fully enclosed, open backed, open topped, twin and single mounts and all of them came with a variety of armour and came in different sub models.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: