Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 2  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2
Garlicdesign
Post subject: Re: The third CatPosted: September 10th, 2016, 8:06 pm
Hello again!

Thanks everyone for kind words and advice! Typo and lower hull shading corrected.

@oberon_706: Looking at her hull, there seems to be very little flare; her lines look relatively straight from stem to stern. I figured no above water hull shading would be necessary.

As Krakatoa pointed out, Queen Mary was obviously painted in a new kind of livery some time in 1916 that did not become common until much later; can't say if this was the colour scheme she took to her grave, however. I've provided it below for comparision:

[ img ]

Greetings
GD

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: The third CatPosted: September 10th, 2016, 8:40 pm
That looks good GD,

Certainly matches the photos I have.

Edit:

I did wonder when re-reading about the 'Splendid Cats', whether the new colour scheme was a 'summer' scheme, with lighter colours. It is very difficult to compare photos as a lot of the time exact dates that the photos are taken are missing. Just having the year does not always help.

[Profile] [Quote]
Garlicdesign
Post subject: Re: The third CatPosted: September 25th, 2016, 8:42 pm
Hello again!

For those who care: The bright gray livery with the dark gray hull stripe was adopted in late 1914 or early 1915 already; at least there is a photograph of HMS Tiger in this paintjob which shows her in her early-war fit and which is captioned to show her at the time of the Battle of the Dogger Bank. This also explains why she still has her torpedo nets on Krakatoa's source. By the time of Jutland, Queen Mary no longer had them, like all other British capital ships, and was painted in battleship gray again.

I have edited the first entry in this thread accordingly.

Greetings
GD

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: The third CatPosted: September 26th, 2016, 12:08 am
There's also a rather small, yet quite informative photo of the Princess Royal showing the same camouflage scheme. But the pictures from Jutland, e.g. Lion returning from the battle etc, all show the normal dark-grey scheme.

[Profile] [Quote]
David Latuch
Post subject: Re: The third CatPosted: September 29th, 2016, 8:26 am
Stupendous as always.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 2  [ 15 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page « 1 2

Jump to: