Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
reytuerto
Post subject: Peruvian scout cruiser Almirante Grau 1906.Posted: December 24th, 2016, 11:33 pm
Good afternoon.

This are the peruvian scout cruisers Almirante Grau and Coronel Bolognesi, built by Armstrong in Elswick in 1906.
[ img ]
[ img ]
The former was fitted as flagship, so it had a sternwalk and a raised afterdeck for the acommodation of the flag staff. They were well armed for a scout of 1906 with 2 x 6 inch/50 cal (100 pounder), 8 x 3 inch (14 pounder) and 2 submerged torpedo tubes. With Yarrow boilers and triple expantion engines they did 24 kts. Protection was light, only 1.5 inch protective deck over her vitals.
Credits: I tried to mimic Garlicdesing's style, but unfortunatelly for me, he puts his mark very high! I will be very pleased with your sugestions for improving this drawing. Cheers.

PS: Merry X-mas to all of you, guys!

NB. Edited, after useful Krakatoa and Citizen Lambda comments.

Last edited by reytuerto on December 27th, 2016, 4:21 am, edited 3 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: Peruvian scout cruiser Almirante Grau 1906.Posted: December 25th, 2016, 1:26 am
Great drawings, but... you have named them both the same.... oops.

[Profile] [Quote]
citizen lambda
Post subject: Re: Peruvian scout cruiser Almirante Grau 1906.Posted: December 25th, 2016, 10:35 am
These both look very good, except as Krakatoa noticed, the image title is wrong on the second one.
The style of the drawing is already pretty great, I don't think I have much to teach you in this regard myself... As a matter of personal taste, I would have added some drop shadows below the various overhangs (bridge, barbettes, maybe davits...), but that's at least as much personal style as SB rules, so tread carefully. Some more on-deck detailing could help, but I would understand if you lack usable sources for a ship that old.
Just one thing you might want to look at: the mast details, yard-arm attachments etc. look a bit tacked-on and could do with more realistic fittings.

[Profile] [Quote]
GRISHA-II
Post subject: Re: Peruvian scout cruiser Almirante Grau 1906.Posted: December 25th, 2016, 1:14 pm
very nice cruiser

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Peruvian scout cruiser Almirante Grau 1906.Posted: December 25th, 2016, 2:12 pm
Nice work, but indeed could be even better if You apply Citizen Lambda's advice. :)

[Profile] [Quote]
reytuerto
Post subject: Re: Peruvian scout cruiser Almirante Grau 1906.Posted: December 25th, 2016, 3:27 pm
Merry Christmas!
Thanks Krakatoa, please blame the oven (with the roast turkey!), not the artist! ;) ! Now is fixed.
Thanks Citizen Lambda. Yes! the lines of the wireless telegraph were to rigid to be real! (I saw the drawing and noticed something "strange", but until reading your comment I can't identify the cause!). The next drawings will be the same vessels in 1933 and in 1942, I will use the very useful Colosseum USN grays (since the early 20s Peruvian Navy was trained by an American Naval officers) and I hope to better the shading (shading a white hull was difficoult!).
Thank you, Eswube! With bad cops as you and Citizen Lambda, I am improving this and other drawings. Thanks to all you.

[Profile] [Quote]
reytuerto
Post subject: Re: Peruvian scout cruiser Almirante Grau 1906.Posted: December 26th, 2016, 3:42 am
Cruiser Grau in 1933, with a Vought O2U observation seaplane, without catapult.
[ img ]

Cruiser Bolognesi in 1942, with an odd camouflage pattern and a 3 inch AA gun of japanese origin.
[ img ]

Cruiser Grau after the last modernization in 1944, a tripod foremast was added, with an italian optical rangefinder, new superstructures, 7 AA 20 mm automatic guns, doble depth charge racks, and also a "Y" depth charge mortar. The pair served in this way until replacement by Crown Colony cruisers in the late 50s.
[ img ]

Credits: The Corsair I is from Karle 94 excellent USS Colorado, Thanks to you. Thanks for your comment Grisha, as you can see, I am improving my very basic skills for the 4 funneled cruisers! ;) Cheers.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Peruvian scout cruiser Almirante Grau 1906.Posted: December 27th, 2016, 9:13 am
Nice work and you're making nice progress in your drawing style.

One tip, the double lines on the smaller guns should be 1x black and 1x dark grey to make them stand out more.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
JSB
Post subject: Re: Peruvian scout cruiser Almirante Grau 1906.Posted: December 27th, 2016, 10:51 pm
Very nice unknown (to me) ships :-)

[Profile] [Quote]
Garlicdesign
Post subject: Re: Peruvian scout cruiser Almirante Grau 1906.Posted: December 28th, 2016, 10:52 am
Hi Reytuerto!

A very nice effort, showing the evolution of these ships throughout their lives.

For the underwater hull shading, I normally use colours that become gradually darker as the hull curvature becomes steeper; you seem to have used a lighter shade for the steepest curves at the very bottom of the ship. I don't know if that's intentional; I'd swap the darker shades of red for the lower hull.

Besides, Conway's 1906-1922 indicates that all Peruvian Navy ships were painted in a distinctly brownish shade of grey during that period. I don't know if that's true or a conclusion from looking at sepia photographs - just something to consider.

Greetings
GD

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 16 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: