Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 3  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 »
waterwings
Post subject: HMS Westminster, Type 23Posted: January 21st, 2017, 5:25 pm
An updated Type 23 - HMS Westminster.

Westminster has just come out of refit (late '16); she is the first Type 23 to be fitted with the new Sea Ceptor air-to-air missile system, replacing Sea Wolf, which has been in service with the Royal Navy since 1979. The main visual difference is the lack of the two large Sea Wolf radar systems atop the fore and aft superstructures. Sea Ceptor does need a dedicated fire control radar, instead using the ship's other radar systems to detect and track targets. The ship's 4.5" gun was refurbished and Artisan 3D radar installed, as well as an overhaul of the bridge, galley and messes. Currently, Argyll and Montrose are also in refit to receive the same upgrades.

As the ship has not yet left Portsmouth, there are very few images around of her post-refit yet so this is a first draft, essentially. If I have time I'll try and do some other ships in the class, as they are currently (seawolf fit etc), but I'd be interested to know what you guys think so far.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: HMS Westminster, Type 23Posted: January 21st, 2017, 5:42 pm
something wrong with your drawing, do you see it... ;)
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
waterwings
Post subject: Re: HMS Westminster, Type 23Posted: January 21st, 2017, 5:54 pm
that's fairly cryptic ... I'm not sure if you're referring to the length...? I thought it looked a bit long and slim but that seems the appropriate dimensions.

Type 23 is 133m long, and the drawing above ...

[ img ]

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: HMS Westminster, Type 23Posted: January 21st, 2017, 6:45 pm
What heuhen means, I think, is that both look completely different.... meaning one of them, or both, are not an accurate representation of the real ship. Am I correct, Heuhen?

now, there has been some discussion about the accuracy of bezobrazov's drawing in the past, but I am not going to say which one is better :P this new one looks quite nice though!

[Profile] [Quote]
waterwings
Post subject: Re: HMS Westminster, Type 23Posted: January 21st, 2017, 7:05 pm
Well, I started from scratch and tried to be as accurate as possible ... I was just aiming for an modern drawing, initially, with the new weapons/sensors fits the T23s are receiving as they get updated, but there's certainly a difference between my version and his - given the known length is 133m and Bezobrazov's drawing isn't, I'd say I at least got the length right, if nothing else :) Also, the ship's superstructure itself looks less tall, because of the removal of the Seawolf sensors and the assorted furniture on top, so that makes the whole ship look a little compressed. I have tried hard to get the dimensions right though :roll:

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: HMS Westminster, Type 23Posted: January 21st, 2017, 7:24 pm
Just as acelanceloet say, something isn't right, didn't know what is wrong, so I postet it in a cryptic way

I will both are right in variuse areas:

Waterwings have managed to get the line of the ship more correct, and how compresed the ship really are more correct... but there are something that are wrong or weird and I have no idea what it is... :!:

https://weaponsandwarfare.files.wordpre ... keplan.jpg

[Profile] [Quote]
waterwings
Post subject: Re: HMS Westminster, Type 23Posted: January 21st, 2017, 7:26 pm
That's actually one of the images I used to draw it

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: HMS Westminster, Type 23Posted: January 21st, 2017, 7:32 pm
Whilst I do like to see someone trying to get them to look right I can't help but think that the newest iteration feels slightly too squashed height wise and a few pixels too long (2-3?).

[Profile] [Quote]
waterwings
Post subject: Re: HMS Westminster, Type 23Posted: January 21st, 2017, 7:58 pm
[ img ]

Does that look any better?

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: HMS Westminster, Type 23Posted: January 21st, 2017, 9:49 pm
if its any help...
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 3  [ 30 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page 1 2 3 »

Jump to: