Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 3 of 4  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: The Cleveland-Class Missile Conversions 1957-1979Posted: March 27th, 2017, 5:55 pm
The hull shading doesn't need to be complex or use nearly as many colors - in fact I would limit it to 3-4 colors maximum.

I would point to the style used by guys like Garlicdesign and Maomatic as inspiration.

[Profile] [Quote]
BB1987
Post subject: Re: The Cleveland-Class Missile Conversions 1957-1979Posted: March 27th, 2017, 5:59 pm
Maybe a middle-ground might be accepted as a compromise?
[ img ]

-Koko Kyouwakoku (Republic of Koko)
-Koko's carrier-based aircrafts of WWII
-Koko Kaiun Yuso Kaisha - KoKaYu Line (Koko AU spinoff)
-Koko - Civil Aviation

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: The Cleveland-Class Missile Conversions 1957-1979Posted: March 27th, 2017, 6:05 pm
That would be my suggestion as well. ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: The Cleveland-Class Missile Conversions 1957-1979Posted: March 27th, 2017, 6:05 pm
you asked for an infographic?
[ img ]
it does not have to be any harder then that. your turn :P

P.S. I have explained how I shade before, http://cizadlo.us/JScholtens/Public/sha ... le%203.png for example.

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: The Cleveland-Class Missile Conversions 1957-1979Posted: March 27th, 2017, 7:22 pm
Sorry Jan, I thank you for your "infographic" but don't quite understand it, unfortunately. As for the others' suggestion, I'm open to that.However, BB1987, while yours does add some of the features that I've mentioned, I don't still think it really does justice to the sharp inwards bend that is occurring around the aft floatplane, beginning approx. where the outer shaft attaches to the hull. BTW, BB1987, where did you get the small bulb at the fore-foot? I'm not aware of such a thing. Need to recheck my sources...

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: The Cleveland-Class Missile Conversions 1957-1979Posted: March 27th, 2017, 7:38 pm
it represents what parts of the hull are shaded. if the hull would be an circle in front view, the sides are unshaded, the bottom is shaded and the top is shaded.
http://cizadlo.us/JScholtens/Public/hul ... fo%202.png
I refer to the tutorial I linked for an more thorough explanation.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: The Cleveland-Class Missile Conversions 1957-1979Posted: March 27th, 2017, 7:41 pm
I don't think BB's version was intended to be the final product: merely an example of shading style for you to work off. ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: The Cleveland-Class Missile Conversions 1957-1979Posted: March 27th, 2017, 7:45 pm
Jan, I read the tutorial, and while good, I don't think it applies in its wholeness to the Clevelands due to the apparent unique hull form their designers blessed them with.

Ian, I did understand that, and I appreciate BB1987s effort, as I do everyone's input. We're getting there, slowly but surely.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: The Cleveland-Class Missile Conversions 1957-1979Posted: March 27th, 2017, 7:52 pm
I can tell that you've created the hull shading based on the model on the Okie Boat website (http://www.okieboat.com/CAD%20hull.html) - you should email the guy who runs it and ask if he has the original faired lines plan for the ship. I've talked to him via email several times and he's pretty responsive and helpful, and knowing him, he probably has PDFs of it somewhere.

With that, you could shade this perfectly based on the measurement between each frame/station and their outboard angle - and basically provide us with the most accurately shaded iteration of any ship on SB, ever. ;) It would be even more impressive with the complex hull shape of this class.

[Profile] [Quote]
BB1987
Post subject: Re: The Cleveland-Class Missile Conversions 1957-1979Posted: March 27th, 2017, 8:22 pm
Yes, my recolouring was just a rough example of a suggested style of shading for the hull, I din't went to look accuratley at the hull shape of the Clevelands. So the small higlight puff at the bow is just a reminiscence of what some of us do to hint the presence of a bulbous bow, it's actual shape, or presence is something Bezo would have surely looked on in a more accurate way.

-Koko Kyouwakoku (Republic of Koko)
-Koko's carrier-based aircrafts of WWII
-Koko Kaiun Yuso Kaisha - KoKaYu Line (Koko AU spinoff)
-Koko - Civil Aviation

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 3 of 4  [ 32 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »

Jump to: