Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 4  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 4 »
Garlicdesign
Post subject: French Armoured Cruisers - rebootPosted: June 25th, 2017, 4:18 pm
Hello again!

After the French Navy had - like the RN, but on an even more modest scale - preferred smaller armoured cruisers (Dupleix-, Gueydon- and Gloire-classes) in the final years of the 19th century, they returned to a more robust type in 1901. At 12.300 tons, the Leon Gambetta was able to carry a full 150mm belt of which even something was visible above water at full load, and engines for a speed of 22,5 knots, both of which was fully state of the art at the time she was laid down. Main armament was doubled compared with the Gloire-class, now consisting of four 195mm and sixteen 165mm guns. All except four of the secondaries were mounted in turrets, which had up to 200mm of armour. The tertiary battery had 24 47mm guns. Despite this improvement, they were only little better than a Hampshire-class cruiser in terms of firepower. Externally, they resembled their predecessors, and like the contemporary Republique-class battleships, whom they resembled in many detail solutions, they were rated reasonaby good seaboats, much unlike many earlier French warships. Leon Gambetta and her nearly identical sister ship Jules Ferry (both named for left-wing political figures of the Third Republic in a conscious attempt to whip the Navy, which was widely suspected to harbour royalist tendencies, into the Republican camp) were laid down in 1901 and completed in 1905.
[ img ]

Both differed only in tiny details (Ventilator arrangement, rigging, shape of the boat cranes). Gambetta had a larger part of her funnel tops painted black than Ferry, probably for identification.
[ img ]

A third unit was laid down in 1903 and named for the prominent writer Victor Hugo, who also had pursued a distinctly republican political agenda. The ship differed in many details from the first two (Funnel and ventilator shape, boat arrangement, boat crane shape, aft superstructure shape, mainmast arrangement, rigging, ladder boom stowage, placement of the bridge wings one deck lower). For some reason, she was about 800 tons heavier than her sisters, slightly exceeding 13.000 tons. She was one of a limited number of French ships to have her superstructure painted in 'Toile Mouillee' (wet canvas), a mixture of the earlier dull brown superstructure colour (25%) and white (75%); I have not yet found out if there was any system why certain ships had white superstructures and others 'Toille Mouillee'. Probably had something to do with where the remaining barrels of brown colour were stored after procurement was discontinued.
[ img ]

After some years of service, all had their masts shortened and were painted gris bleu.
[ img ]

Hugo wore two identification bands around the second funnel; at some point before the war, her turrets were painted white for fleet exercises.
[ img ]

Gambetta had two bands around the third funnel. Leon Gambetta was lost in this state in 1915, torpedoed by the Austrian submarine U-5.
[ img ]

The other two had their tertiary battery reduced and four of the 47mm guns placed in AA mounts in 1916/7. Their wireless equipment was augmented. Ferry is one of the very few French vessels of which I have not found any pictures with the black turrets typical for the second half of the war; this does however not mean she never was painted that way.
[ img ]

Hugo had her turrets painted black; unlike most other French ships, her CT was painted black as well.
[ img ]

Both were used as TS after the war and scrapped in the late 1920s.

A fourth unit of identical size to Victor Hugo, but with considerably altered armament was laid down in 1904. She had only 12 165mm guns, all of them in single mounts; her 195mm guns were however of a newer, more powerful L/50. She had the same speed and protection, but differed in so many external details (number and arrangement of secondaries, arrangement of tertiaries, much more austere bridge shape, no fighting top, shape and arrangement of cranes, shape of aft superstructure, slightly larger funnels) that she was not rated a unit of the Gambetta-class, but a type of her own. She was named for the writer and historian Jules Michelet, another anti-clerical republican.
[ img ]

Wartime alterations were similar to the others: more w/t equipment, reduced and re-arranged tertiary armament and the typical black colouring for turrets.
[ img ]

Greetings
GD

[Profile] [Quote]
Colombamike
Post subject: Re: French Armoured Cruisers - rebootPosted: June 25th, 2017, 5:28 pm
beautifull Garlic
Hoping to see the 3 last-one's : Ernest Renan, Edgar Quinet & Waldeck Rousseau

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: French Armoured Cruisers - rebootPosted: June 25th, 2017, 5:33 pm
Great work!

[Profile] [Quote]
BB1987
Post subject: Re: French Armoured Cruisers - rebootPosted: June 25th, 2017, 6:31 pm
Chapeau.

-Koko Kyouwakoku (Republic of Koko)
-Koko's carrier-based aircrafts of WWII
-Koko Kaiun Yuso Kaisha - KoKaYu Line (Koko AU spinoff)
-Koko - Civil Aviation

[Profile] [Quote]
Scootia23
Post subject: Re: French Armoured Cruisers - rebootPosted: June 25th, 2017, 8:40 pm
Such bizarre and unusual looking ships. What really is striking to me is the turrets, it looks as though they are sat upon giant metal teacups which I cannot tell at a glance are part of the turret, or the barbette (I'm inclined to say the latter). Care to explain the esoteric shape of the gun housings? As always, the drawing quality is phenomenal.

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: French Armoured Cruisers - rebootPosted: June 25th, 2017, 8:40 pm
Very nice work!

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: French Armoured Cruisers - rebootPosted: June 26th, 2017, 8:05 am
Excellent work (would we expect anything less from GD?).

I'm curious about the historical background to the naming, would the Navy really have been that royalist in outlook so long after the establishment of the Republic?

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
waritem
Post subject: Re: French Armoured Cruisers - rebootPosted: June 26th, 2017, 10:28 am
Hood wrote: *

I'm curious about the historical background to the naming, would the Navy really have been that royalist in outlook so long after the establishment of the Republic?
Personally i don't get your question: This are very republican names.
Maybe my english is so wrong, that i understand the inverse of what you mean..................

JE SUIS CHARLIE

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: French Armoured Cruisers - rebootPosted: June 26th, 2017, 10:38 am
Waritem, GD mentioned the names chosen were "a conscious attempt to whip the Navy, which was widely suspected to harbour royalist tendencies".
I found it surprising that in the late 1890s there were any royalist tendencies left in the armed forces? I'm no expert on French history so would be happy to know more if this statement is correct.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
waritem
Post subject: Re: French Armoured Cruisers - rebootPosted: June 26th, 2017, 10:46 am
waritem wrote: *
Hood wrote: *

Personally i don't get your question: This are very republican names.
Maybe my english is so wrong, that i understand the inverse of what you mean..................
Oops:
I have read to fast the writings of Garlic.
The "monarchist risc" still so strong in 1873 (not so long before those ships), that a project of restoration was close to succeed ........
To these days the french navy remains called "la royale" (translation seems superfluous).

JE SUIS CHARLIE

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 4  [ 34 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page 1 2 3 4 »

Jump to: