Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 5 of 5  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Fletcher class destroyersPosted: March 14th, 2020, 9:15 pm
The usual excellence I've come to expect.
Colosseum wrote: *
JOHNSTON was one of the "square bridge" FLETCHER class destroyers, which incorporated a revised/simplified open bridge based on British war experience.
While it's certainly true that British experience went into the bridge revisions, this seems to sort of invert the design process. I am away from a scanner today, but these are some selected quotes from Sumrall's "Sumner-Gearing-Class Destroyers", which is probably the bible of the latter classes.

My own selection of quote snippets is borne out of laziness, and I'd be happy to scan a few pages to clarify if you think I'm presenting the wrong interpretation.
Quote:
General Arrangement of the Bridge Area (pp. 49-50)
The arrangement of the bridge was a controversial matter. The design approved by [SECNAV]... was similar to the square-bridge configuration of the modified Fletchers... it was changed to an arrangement referred to as the British-style bridge.
In British practice, the conning officer's position was in an open bridge above the pilothouse and helm...
Both of the British-style bridge configurations were immediately unpopular with most of the ships' captains...
After considerable effort, the draftsmen... created a new bridge. The arrangement was similar to the square bridge of the modified Fletchers...
As I read it, the bridge you've drawn is the quite traditional American approach, without the semi-plated-in upper level for the OOD that the British seemed to prefer.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Fletcher class destroyersPosted: March 14th, 2020, 10:16 pm
erik_t wrote: *
The usual excellence I've come to expect.
Colosseum wrote: *
JOHNSTON was one of the "square bridge" FLETCHER class destroyers, which incorporated a revised/simplified open bridge based on British war experience.
While it's certainly true that British experience went into the bridge revisions, this seems to sort of invert the design process. I am away from a scanner today, but these are some selected quotes from Sumrall's "Sumner-Gearing-Class Destroyers", which is probably the bible of the latter classes.

My own selection of quote snippets is borne out of laziness, and I'd be happy to scan a few pages to clarify if you think I'm presenting the wrong interpretation.
Quote:
General Arrangement of the Bridge Area (pp. 49-50)
The arrangement of the bridge was a controversial matter. The design approved by [SECNAV]... was similar to the square-bridge configuration of the modified Fletchers... it was changed to an arrangement referred to as the British-style bridge.
In British practice, the conning officer's position was in an open bridge above the pilothouse and helm...
Both of the British-style bridge configurations were immediately unpopular with most of the ships' captains...
After considerable effort, the draftsmen... created a new bridge. The arrangement was similar to the square bridge of the modified Fletchers...
As I read it, the bridge you've drawn is the quite traditional American approach, without the semi-plated-in upper level for the OOD that the British seemed to prefer.
That's right - I copied the original text written years ago when reposting the plan view. The text should instead mention that DD-557 is a later "square bridge" Fletcher class DD incorporating the simplified bridge with better overhead visibility, among other improvements.

edit: OP updated. Nice catch... so many publications mention redesigned bridges being the "British style", but I think this has been misinterpreted by many authors. The real "British style bridge" is that aboard the early Sumner class DDs ;) Check my drawing of Barton in the archive for what this looks like

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Fletcher class destroyersPosted: March 15th, 2020, 10:25 am
Excellent work.
I agree, I find that drawing a top view changes how you do a side view. What you think looks good in a side view often does not work when viewed from above and vice versa.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
seeker36340
Post subject: Re: Fletcher class destroyersPosted: March 26th, 2020, 4:38 pm
Wow....is this the first top-down drawing of a Fletcher posted? It's beautiful

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 5 of 5  [ 44 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5

Jump to: