Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
ABetterName
Post subject: Japanese Sen Toku-class Carrier SubmarinesPosted: January 14th, 2018, 8:21 am
I-400

As commissioned on December 30th, 1944
[ img ]
Created for a covert strike against the critical Panama Canal, the I-400s could carry three Aichi M6A Seiran floatplanes to anywhere in the world, without refueling. They remain the largest diesel submarines ever constructed.

Details of I-400's early service are sparse, She participated in pilot training along with I-401, I-13, and I-14 between June 5th and 20th 1945, with pilots training for the attack on the Panama Canal.

When Okinawa fell, the plan of attack was changed, with the target now being Ulithi Atoll, where fifteen US carriers had assembled to stage raids on the Japanese Home Islands.

As captured on August 29th, 1945
[ img ]
I-400 was captured by USS Blue, astonishing the destroyer's crew with her sheer size, being considerably larger than any of the American fleet boats. Her crew had ditched all the aircraft and torpedoes 7 days prior to her capture. At some point during her time as a prize boat, her nameplate was repainted with US style markings.

She was expended as a target on June 4th, 1946, sinking off the coast of Oahu.

I-401

As commissioned on January 8th, 1945
[ img ]
I-401, shown with one of her aircraft painted in fake US scheme, was commissioned too late in the war to accomplish her objectives, though made several attempts to launch. She had sailed for her first target by the time Emperor Hirohito's ceasefire broadcast was received on the 15th of August, 1945. She would hoist a black flag of surrender on the 26th, and all of her aircraft, weapons, codebooks, charts, and logs were destroyed. She would be captured by USS Segundo on the 29th.

She was expended as a target on May 31st, 1946, sinking off the coast of Kalaeloa, Hawai'i.

I-402

As commissioned on July 24th, 1945
[ img ]
I-402 was converted to a tanker submarine prior to commissioning and was never loaded with aircraft, she would see no action in the war.

She would be scuttled as a part of Operation Road's End on April 1st, 1946.

Technical Specifications
Displacement: 5,223 long tons surfaced, 6,560 submerged
Length: 122 m (400 ft)
Beam: 12 m (39.3 ft)
Draft: 7 m (22.9 ft)
Propulsion: Four diesel engines generating 7,700 shp, two electric motors generating 2,400 shp
Range: 37,500 nm at 14 kts surfaced, 30,000 nm at 16 kts. 60 nm at 3 kts submarged.
Test depth: 100 m (330 ft)
Complement: 21 officers, 170 enlisted men
Armament: 8 × 533 mm (21 in) forward torpedo tubes with 20 × Type 95 torpedoes, 1 × 14 cm/40 11th Year Type naval gun, 3 × 35 mm (1.4 in) 3-barrel machine gun, 1 × Type 96 25 mm (0.98 in) machine gun
Aircraft: Three Aichi M6A Seiran special attack aircraft

Last edited by ABetterName on March 21st, 2018, 9:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: Japanese Sen Toku-class Carrier SubmarinesPosted: January 14th, 2018, 12:07 pm
Very nice work! These were drawn previously, but only I-400 was represented. Excellent work in showing all three members of the class. Incidentally, all three wrecks have now been located.

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: Japanese Sen Toku-class Carrier SubmarinesPosted: January 14th, 2018, 12:14 pm
looks really good. My only irk is that (this applies to other's as well), try to use always darker shade than the background structure when painting railing, not lighter, since it doesent really remain consistent with the rest of the style's logic

[Profile] [Quote]
ABetterName
Post subject: Re: Japanese Sen Toku-class Carrier SubmarinesPosted: January 14th, 2018, 4:06 pm
I am aware that the STO had already been drawn, but the previous drawing was quite badly in need of a redo.

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: Japanese Sen Toku-class Carrier SubmarinesPosted: January 14th, 2018, 4:54 pm
Understood. Are you planning any other IJN-related drawings?

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
ABetterName
Post subject: Re: Japanese Sen Toku-class Carrier SubmarinesPosted: January 14th, 2018, 4:56 pm
No, it's back to Nyrdanmark after this.

[Profile] [Quote]
BB1987
Post subject: Re: Japanese Sen Toku-class Carrier SubmarinesPosted: January 14th, 2018, 5:41 pm
Excellent work, especially with the extra ships.

-Koko Kyouwakoku (Republic of Koko)
-Koko's carrier-based aircrafts of WWII
-Koko Kaiun Yuso Kaisha - KoKaYu Line (Koko AU spinoff)
-Koko - Civil Aviation

[Profile] [Quote]
darthpanda
Post subject: Re: Japanese Sen Toku-class Carrier SubmarinesPosted: January 15th, 2018, 6:48 pm
ABetterName wrote: *
I am aware that the STO had already been drawn, but the previous drawing was quite badly in need of a redo.
At lease, warn me in advance.

- RHKAAF / HKGFS - 皇家香港輔助空軍 / 政府飛行服務隊
- Gunbucket - LINK

天滅中共全黨死清光!

[Profile] [Quote]
ABetterName
Post subject: Re: Japanese Sen Toku-class Carrier SubmarinesPosted: January 16th, 2018, 1:24 am
I apologize if you meant to redraw them yourself or took offense at my statement of the drawings being wrong, I meant no offense.

[Profile] [Quote]
Obsydian Shade
Post subject: Re: Japanese Sen Toku-class Carrier SubmarinesPosted: January 16th, 2018, 12:32 pm
Very good work, though I'm used to seeing them in a much brighter paint scheme! :D

If it's close enough to cast a shadow, I think the flying house wins initiative.

Bronies are like the Forsworn. Everyone agrees that they are a problem but nobody wants to expend the energy rooting them out.

"That is a very graphic analogy which aids understanding wonderfully while being, strictly speaking, wrong in every possible way."

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 12 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: