Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ] 
RegiaMarina1939
Post subject: Italian Ironclad AffondatorePosted: February 4th, 2018, 1:57 am
Hello everyone! If you have been here for a while, you know the original drawing of the Affondatore has been outdated for quite a bit. It was good for its time, but I believe that it was time for this influential and important ship to get a redo, and I took it upon myself to do so. This has been my project for several months now, and any comments and questions are welcome! I thank the discord for helping me immensely with this project, and especially to reytuerto, who provided me with excellent references for all versions of the ships.

[ img ]
-As launched in 1865 by Millwall in London, England.

[ img ]
Refitted in 1873, removing the sailing rig and replacing it with a single military pole mast, as well as the addition of a small superstructure with a conning tower forward of the funnels, while retaining the aft deckhouse and platform from the original ship.

[ img ]
Refitted in 1885 to an armored cruiser, including the building of an entire deck onto the original one, with the addition of 6 x 4.7-inch secondary guns, the replacement of the original turrets and guns with 10-inch rifled breech-loaders, the building of an entirely new bridge on the new deck/casemate, and the fitting of military masts and boat handling gear. Additional anti torpedo boat guns were fitted atop the main battery turrets. Several years later in 1891, she was given 2 torpedo tubes and converted to a torpedo training ship. She was decommissioned and scrapped before World War One.

[ img ]
In the Regia Marina's Victorian-era livery, circa 1885.

-As I said before, any feedback is welcome!

RegiaMarina1939

Current Worklist:
-Real designs
-Brazil AU

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Italian Ironclad AffondatorePosted: February 4th, 2018, 9:48 am
I'm no expert on Italian vessels of this era, but the drawings look pretty good.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Italian Ironclad AffondatorePosted: February 4th, 2018, 10:00 am
Good work.
Affondatore was indeed one of those drawings in the Archive that were in most desperate need for a redraw (being one of the oldest drawings there) and it's great that someone finally made it. :)

[Profile] [Quote]
reytuerto
Post subject: Re: Italian Ironclad AffondatorePosted: February 4th, 2018, 3:01 pm
Well done, very well done! In fact, better than the originals!

[Profile] [Quote]
Lazer_one
Post subject: Re: Italian Ironclad AffondatorePosted: February 4th, 2018, 6:22 pm
Great drawings!!!

Lazer_One's Worlist - Updated 2021

Documentation is always welcome here

Lazer_One's Blog

[Profile] [Quote]
RegiaMarina1939
Post subject: Re: Italian Ironclad AffondatorePosted: February 5th, 2018, 1:34 am
Thanks everyone!

RegiaMarina1939

Current Worklist:
-Real designs
-Brazil AU

[Profile] [Quote]
Bordkanone 75
Post subject: Re: Italian Ironclad AffondatorePosted: February 5th, 2018, 2:05 am
Excellent work! :)

I'd like to ride storms, kill orcas in the open sea, drive out the aggressors, reconquer the country, undo the ties of serfdom, and never bend my back to be the concubine of whatever man.
Tôi muốn cưỡi bão, giết orcas ngoài biển khơi, đánh đuổi quân xâm lược, tái lập đất nước, tháo gỡ những ràng buộc của chế độ nông nô, và không bao giờ quay lưng lại để làm vợ lẽ cho bất cứ người đàn ông nào.

Triệu Thị Trinh

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs”

Jump to: