Fantastic work!

[Profile] [Quote]
superboy
Post subject: Re: Brooklyn class cruisersPosted: March 1st, 2018, 1:01 am
Excellent work!

[Profile] [Quote]
MihoshiK
Post subject: Re: Brooklyn class cruisersPosted: March 1st, 2018, 11:01 pm
Amazing work. You continue to set new standards.

[Profile] [Quote]
csatahajos
Post subject: Re: Brooklyn class cruisersPosted: March 1st, 2018, 11:56 pm
Colosseum wrote: *
Thanks all. I'd like to do more of these but time is extremely scarce these days.
Quote:
When did you draw your original Brooklyn? I think you also did the Belgrano too.
The originals were drawn around this time in 2012 (6 years ago!) I also drew the General Belgrano. They're all available here, along with others drawn by Gunship.
Quote:
BTW are you sure the HONOLULU did get the same rebuild as SAVANNAH? Wasn't it just the superstructure change (which was BTW done to NASHVILLE as well IIRC). I don't remember ever seeing a pic of HONOLULU with a bulge added and 5"/38 twin turrets mounted, but probably I have missed something. Can you point me to a source please?
Here are two photos of CL-48's inclining experiment at Norfolk Navy Yard in late 1945 showing the addition of hull blisters and twin 5"/38 mounts. Interesting to note is the position of the aft gun directors on CL-48 - they are in opposite positions than CL-42, with the Mark 37 in the high position (this was advantageous for sky arcs).
Amazing stuff, where did you get these pictures? I've learnt something new today again (though I'm a warship nut for 20 years now :D and USN is by far my favorite). Thanks again for the nice drawing and info. Hope you will draw some more versions, even if it takes month to wait ;).

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Brooklyn class cruisersPosted: March 21st, 2018, 2:16 am
Only took me a month or so. ;)

This is BOISE (CL-47) as the ship appeared in July of 1942, after a refit period at the Mare Island Navy Yard in Vallejo, California. BOISE is camouflaged in the overall Navy Blue (5-N) of Measure 21.

BOISE entered Mare Island after colliding with an uncharted submerged pinnacle while transiting the Sape Strait while operating with the Asiatic Fleet. This refit saw the pilot house glazing plated in and replaced with portholes as well as the addition of an improvised open bridge just forward and below "Sky One" (the forward Mark 33 director). Additional anti-aircraft guns have been added in tubs around the ship. At this time, BOISE had received four 1.1" Mark 1 quad machine-cannons in tubs abeam the bridge and aft superstructure, but only two Mark 44 directors for these guns have been fitted. Mark 4 "FD" radar has been mounted on the Mark 33 directors, and the reflectors of the Mark 3 "FC" screens sit above the Mark 34 main battery directors. The small mattress of the SC air search antenna sits at the foretop, with an SG surface search antenna on a small platform bracketed to the foremast. Waveguide losses at this time required the SG antenna to be mounted as close to the radar plot as possible, hence its position. The prominent searchlight platform between the funnels remains unchanged, with a large vent and a 5" practice loading machine at its base. The ship's pre-war boat complement has been drastically reduced, limited at this point to two motor whaleboats and two motor launches. This would be further reduced as the war dragged on. The starboard side boat crane has been removed as a weight savings measure.

BOISE would participate in the Battle of Cape Esperance in this configuration, with wartime propaganda casting the ship as the "One-Ship Fleet" next to claims that she sank six enemy ships, a great exaggeration of the actual outcome of the battle, in which the Japanese had only lost two ships sunk.

BOISE survived the war to be sold to Argentina in 1951, where she would be renamed NUEVE DE JULIO (C-5) and remain in service until sold for scrap in 1983.

[Profile] [Quote]
Rob2012
Post subject: Re: Brooklyn class cruisersPosted: March 21st, 2018, 2:43 am
So Argentina got two Brooklyn class light cruisers? The other one being the U.S.S. Phoenix.

[Profile] [Quote]
Shigure
Post subject: Re: Brooklyn class cruisersPosted: March 21st, 2018, 7:42 am
O_O amazing work

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: Brooklyn class cruisersPosted: March 21st, 2018, 9:12 am
Awesome work! Was hoping Savannah wasn't the only drawing we'd get! :)

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
BB1987
Post subject: Re: Brooklyn class cruisersPosted: March 21st, 2018, 1:05 pm
Usual quality, you never disappoint. :D

-Koko Kyouwakoku (Republic of Koko)
-Koko's carrier-based aircrafts of WWII
-Koko Kaiun Yuso Kaisha - KoKaYu Line (Koko AU spinoff)
-Koko - Civil Aviation

[Profile] [Quote]
MihoshiK
Post subject: Re: Brooklyn class cruisersPosted: March 21st, 2018, 11:38 pm
Damn son.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 5  [ 50 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »

Jump to: