Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 5 of 21  [ 210 posts ]  Go to page « 13 4 5 6 721 »
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Sailing shipsPosted: March 5th, 2014, 1:09 am
Problem with that is that copper turns many different colours depending on the exact composition, how it's fitted, what kind of wood it's fitted to, where the ship has been etc.
You get the same problem with seaweed. It comes in all colours from the regular boring greens via blue and yellow to vivid pink, again depending on a whole list of factors.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: Sailing shipsPosted: March 5th, 2014, 4:46 am
CraigH, I have the Great Britain in both forms on my workload so that'd be appreciated.

I have had a look into coppering, there are two ways to do it, either colour the bottom a copper collar and shade it (The Victory on the archive is a good example of this) it works well but lacks detail. I tried my hand at coppering (HMS Nelson 1814) which the same copping pattern has been recycled a few times (Rowdy36's frigate and my first attempt of a collier come to mind) when I get my computer working again I'll send you my color template for coppering and the detail patches.

Another thing I heard of is Lime paste on the wood hull, cheap and short though.

"Loitering on the High Seas" (Named after the good ship Rodondo)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
darthpanda
Post subject: Re: Sailing shipsPosted: March 5th, 2014, 8:26 am
[ img ]

Henri Grace a Dieu - England
[ img ]

- RHKAAF / HKGFS - 皇家香港輔助空軍 / 政府飛行服務隊
- Gunbucket - LINK

天滅中共全黨死清光!

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Sailing shipsPosted: March 5th, 2014, 12:27 pm
Excellent rendition of the Great Harry, but, I really think you ought to put the date for the depiction, which, considering her plain sails, would be around 1539/40. In 1545 she carried those legendary gold brocade sails when Henry VIII met his French colleague, François I.

[Profile] [Quote]
darthpanda
Post subject: Re: Sailing shipsPosted: March 5th, 2014, 3:29 pm
bezobrazov wrote:
Excellent rendition of the Great Harry, but, I really think you ought to put the date for the depiction, which, considering her plain sails, would be around 1539/40. In 1545 she carried those legendary gold brocade sails when Henry VIII met his French colleague, François I.
I tried the gold brocade sails....... It didn't work.

- Gunbucket - LINK

天滅中共全黨死清光!

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Sailing shipsPosted: March 5th, 2014, 3:40 pm
I know, it's incredibly hard. Do you, by any chance have the magnificent paintwork by Björn Landström? He managed to illustrate the gold brocaded sails very well.
I have both his books on the topic: "The Ship" (1960) and the pocket version, "Sailing Ships" (1980) and each time I'm reading either one, I usually end up dumbfoundedly admiring the illustration of the Great Harry!

What more carracks are you going to do? Is the Santa Catarina do Monte Sinai on your work list? How about La Richesse, Marie de la Cordeliere, Mary Rose, or St Michael?

[Profile] [Quote]
jabba
Post subject: Re: Sailing shipsPosted: March 5th, 2014, 4:46 pm
darthpanda wrote:
bezobrazov wrote:
Well if darthpanda can't do it...

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: Sailing shipsPosted: March 5th, 2014, 5:19 pm
I'll have a look through my Uni library and my own tomorrow, might have a good illustration of said sails

"Loitering on the High Seas" (Named after the good ship Rodondo)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Sailing shipsPosted: March 5th, 2014, 5:46 pm
here's a link. It's not landstrom's but...
http://www.maquetland.com/v2/images_articles/7.gif

if my scanner would work, I'd love to scan the illustration of the Great Harry, but it still doesn't!

Maybe somebody else has the "Skeppet" (the Ship)?

[Profile] [Quote]
darthpanda
Post subject: Re: Sailing shipsPosted: March 5th, 2014, 8:19 pm
jabba wrote:
darthpanda wrote:
bezobrazov wrote:
Well if darthpanda can't do it...
There is always someone better then me.

- Gunbucket - LINK

天滅中共全黨死清光!

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 5 of 21  [ 210 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page « 13 4 5 6 721 »

Jump to: