Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 5  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 4 5 »
M_I_Reilly-Collette
Post subject: Takao class cruiser projectPosted: March 18th, 2011, 9:16 am
Since Alvama kindly let me try my hand at her after he had her on his work list, I present the beginnings of work on the Japanese heavy cruiser Takao, circa 1935:

[ img ]

Critique greatly appreciated; the original line drawing is from LaCroix and Wells' Japanese Cruisers of the Pacific War.

"Once movement was detected, the crew attempted to raise anchor and maneuver away from the shore, but the weather and sea conditions made this difficult. By the time the anchor was raised, the ship had been pushed too close to the shore to recover." Next time, guys, grab a blowtorch.

Last edited by M_I_Reilly-Collette on January 18th, 2012, 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Takao class cruiser project.Posted: March 18th, 2011, 9:29 am
Not bad, not bad at all.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Takao class cruiser project.Posted: March 18th, 2011, 1:00 pm
Again, here's another project where you can easily do all four. (I've made a model of the 1937 Chokai, 1/700, for instance, and I, too, found that book extremely useful for that purpose.) Now, after this, a project that seems to head in the right direction, will you consider the most famous of the 'A'-class cruisers; the Ashigara, in her Coronation Fleet Review Guise (1937)?

[Profile] [Quote]
Rhade
Post subject: Re: Takao class cruiser project.Posted: March 18th, 2011, 4:09 pm
Wohoooo ... one of my favorite cruiser. Keep up the good work .

[Profile] [Quote]
M_I_Reilly-Collette
Post subject: Re: Takao class cruiser project.Posted: March 18th, 2011, 7:47 pm
As it happens the drawings do indeed include close-ups of the detail differences of Takao's three sisters from that condition shown for Takao in 1935 in the same period, and some further modifications made to Maya in 1937. I can probably do all five since the extra work would be trivial. Less than trivial for wartime fits, though, so I'd leave it at that.

"Once movement was detected, the crew attempted to raise anchor and maneuver away from the shore, but the weather and sea conditions made this difficult. By the time the anchor was raised, the ship had been pushed too close to the shore to recover." Next time, guys, grab a blowtorch.

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Takao class cruiser project.Posted: March 18th, 2011, 9:11 pm
That's be great M_I! Really swell! And, how 'bout my fave: the Myokos, especially the Ashigara in her 1937 guise? Want to do her as well?

[Profile] [Quote]
M_I_Reilly-Collette
Post subject: Re: Takao class cruiser project.Posted: March 18th, 2011, 11:53 pm
Update with hull mostly completed:

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Takao class cruiser project.Posted: March 18th, 2011, 11:58 pm
Cool, but please make sure the finished product is up to specs... Tone is probably (after Alaska) my favorite drawing, so make Takao match up quality-wise.

[Profile] [Quote]
M_I_Reilly-Collette
Post subject: Re: Takao class cruiser project.Posted: March 19th, 2011, 12:54 am
bezobrazov wrote:
That's be great M_I! Really swell! And, how 'bout my fave: the Myokos, especially the Ashigara in her 1937 guise? Want to do her as well?

I'm not really sure, though I might. The Japanese cruisers are pretty crazy, though I always loved them, and I'm a very busy engineering student. There's a couple of other designs I'm mulling doing right now, anyhow, especially the interwar French cruisers.

[Profile] [Quote]
CanisD
Post subject: Re: Takao class cruiser project.Posted: March 19th, 2011, 7:39 am
Third turret looks a little funny. All the drawings I've seen have the barrels at near zero elevation.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 5  [ 45 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page 1 2 3 4 5 »

Jump to: