Japanese fast-Battleship Kirishima
As commissioned in 1915:
as of 1916:
By 1916 Kirishima had recieved her full equipment of 90 and 110cm searchlights, sighting hoods on the turrets, a 4.5m rotating rangefinder for the n°2 main gun turret, bridge wing extensions, four small spotter platforms on the fore tripod mast, a retractable 3,5m rangefinder on the bridge, slight mofications on the aft tripod starfish and minor extra equipment.
As of 1920:
By 1920 all main guns had recieved canvas bags and 8cm training guns, searchlights were rearranged with the addition of an extra platform on the foremast and by extending the aft flying bridge. The spotter platforms were enlarged, enclosed and turned into secondary battery command stations. The original low-angle 76mm guns were replaced with four hig-angle models, fitted on raised platforms.
As of 1924:
Between December 1923 and September 1924 Kirishima underwent her first, smaller scale, refit: the forward tripod topmast was reduced in height and the forward spotting top enlarged. Extra platforms housing fire-control equipment and stations were added to the tripod mast by building up the starfish and deleting the former searchlight platform. Two 3,5m rangefinders for the secondary battery were also added. The four secondary battery command stations on the tipod legs were modified, the upper ones was deleted and turned into searchlight platforms, the lower ones were doubled in size. Two large searchlight towers were added between the birdge and the forefunnel. Main battery guns also had their maximum elevation increased from 20 to 33°.
As of 1930:
Between May 1927 and April 1930 Kirishima went through her first major modernization: Deck armor was increased to 80mm over machinery and 120mm over magazines. Turret armor was increased to 152mm and barbette armor below the main deck was strengthened to 152mm as well. Two antenna towers were added on top of turret 2 and 3, which also had their older 4m rangefinders replaced by newer 8m ones. The forward tripod topmast was deleted altogether, to make space for a LA director and RDF equipment. New 3,5m rangefinders for the secondary battery was fitted, and new platforms for command and lookout stations added to the tripod mast creating the usual Japanese pagoda effect. The compass bridge level was partially enclosed and extended aft to include a lookout platform and a flag station. A 4,5m rangefinder for secondary battery fire control was added on a platform above the conning tower, the lower secondary battery command stations were deleted while the lower bridge level was extended aft, supported by lattice platforms. The two forward 76mm guns were relocated at deck level to make space for an elevated set of platforms housing a lookout tower and an open 4,5m rangefinder each. The original searchlight towers were removed and replaced by a single standalone two-level one. The forward funnel was removed altogether, while funnels 2 and 3 were removed and replaced with a larger and taller one in the first case and a smaller one in the latter. Torpedo bulges were added on the hull, increasing beam for 29 to 31m and four of the eight original underwater torpedo tubes were removed. The scupper pipes were extended and the elevated boat deck was increased in size, allowing to fit new enlarged ventilators for the boiler rooms at deck level. The aft flying bridge was expanded both forward and aft with new enclosed deckhouses and fitted with an open 3,5m rangefinder. A derrick for aircraft handling was added aft of turret 3 to operate a single a single Yokosuka EY3 reconnaissance floatplane. All anti-torpedo-net equipment was removed.
As of 1934:
Between late 1932 and early 1933 Kirishima recieved another small-scale refit, during which the four single 76mm anti-air guns were replaced four twin 127mm mounts. Also, the aircraft-handling deck was expanded in size, in order to allow the ship to carry up to three Nakajima E4N seaplanes. A Kure n°2 catapult was also embarked. Further modifications were made to turret 4, which recieved a much larger radio antenna tower (turret 3 also had its one upgraded), and the aft superstructure, which was slightly enlarged and recieved a set of maneuvering lights on the flying bridge. The midship spotting platforms were modified as well, fitting an enclosed lookout post and a Type91 HA director coupled with a 4,5m rangefinder for the 127mm guns fire-control. two twin 40mm machine guns were fitted at midship, leading to modifications of the scupper pipes. The forward pagoda also had the lower lattice supports being plated over to both protect it from gun blast and also to fit extra stairs for the upper levels. The top of the mainmast was shortened significantly. Finally, piping on the funnels was modified and the paravane equipment upgraded.
As of 1937:
Between November 1934 and June 1936 Kirishima went through her second major modernization. During the works all of her boilers were replaced, the stern lenghtened by 7,5m and the bow line reshaped for an increased top speed of 30knots. The second starboard anchor and capstan was removed. The forward pagoda bridge was extensively modified and expanded to house an extensive array of fire control systems. This included a Type94 10m rangefinder and a type94 director for the main guns, two Type94 4,5m rangefinders for the secondary guns, observation and direction controllers, target tracing, Type94 secondary gun directors, 1,5m navigational rangefinders, searchlight directors, RDF equipment, Type90 radio antennas, 60cm signaling searchlights, navigation lights, morse deck lamps and a plethora of 12 and 8cm binoculars. Also fitted were six twin 25mm machine gun positions. The searchlight platform was expanded around the forefunnel, now housing six 110cm searchlights and two Type95 machine gun directors. The two twin 40mm machine guns at deck level were replaced by two twin 25mm ones. The aft searchlight platform on the mainmast was moved to a higher position and fitted with two Type95 machine gun directors. The entire topmast was removed along with most of the starfish and replaced with a much smaller one. height of the aft funnel was increased substantially as to make it as tall as the forward one. The aft superstructure was completely enclosed and streamlined and fitted with an auxiliary Type94 director, two Type94 4,5m rangefinders and an enclosed lookout positions. The aircraft handling area was further expanded with the catapult moved aft an on centerline. The original derrick was removed and replaced by a foldable 4-ton crane on the port side. The airwing was upgraded to two Nakajima E8N and one Kawanishi E7K. Armament-wise, the 140mm casemated guns had their elevation increased to 30° while the forwardmost pair was landed. The main gun elevation increased to a maximum of 43°.
As of 1941:
By the start of the war Kirishima had recieved a degaussing cable, two extra twin 25mm machine gun mounts and an anti-aircaft command platform on top of her pagoda tower. The starfish on the mainmast was deleted. Turret faces and barbettes recieved additional armor plates.
As of 1942:
Wartime modifications before her loss were minimal but still happened: The floatplane complement was upgraded from one E7K and two E8N to one E13A and two F1M. Minor modification were also made on the director plaform at midship, the aft searchlight platforms were raised and the 25mm machine guns at midship were raised onto a new platform to improve their firing arcs.
In this fit she took part in the first an second naval battle of Guadalcanal. During the latter she damaged the USS South Dakota befor being crippled by gunfire from the USS Washington, eventually sinking (because of damage or by being scuttled) at 03:25 on the morning of 15 November 1942.