Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
Karle94
Post subject: Radetzky Class: Austrio-Hungarian Semi-DreadnoughtsPosted: January 1st, 2020, 8:59 pm
After I finished the Tegetthoff drawings I started on the Radetzky, the class of battleships that came before the Tegetthoffs. Having twin 9,4 inch guns in 4 twin turrets made them a small sub-class of ships called semi-dreadnoughts, as they had large caliber guns, but not of the same caliber as the main guns. At 137m long and 14,5k tons, they were among the larger and heavier classes of pre-dreadnoughts. They were also quite fast for their type, at 20,5 kts. Commisioned in 1911, the Radetzky and her class would be among the last of the pre-dreadnoughts built, and there was considerations for finishing the ship as a dreadnought by having a pair of wing mounted 12in guns, in addition to the fore and aft turrets. But, as there were no floating drydocks large enough to accomodate a larger dreadnought, she was finished as a semi-dreadnought. The Radetzky was painted green in the first years of service, before becoming a test-ship for the new blue-ish grey meant for a more ocean going navy.

SMS Radetzky in 1911:
[ img ]

SMS Radetzky in 1913:
[ img ]

SMS Radetzky in 1917:
[ img ]

Last edited by Karle94 on January 7th, 2023, 4:47 pm, edited 6 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: Radetzky Class: Austrio-Hungarian Semi-DreadnoughtsPosted: January 1st, 2020, 9:46 pm
Very nice work!

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
Shigure
Post subject: Re: Radetzky Class: Austrio-Hungarian Semi-DreadnoughtsPosted: January 2nd, 2020, 8:57 am
Good stuff.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Radetzky Class: Austrio-Hungarian Semi-DreadnoughtsPosted: January 2nd, 2020, 9:14 am
Very nice work a good start to 2020!

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: Radetzky Class: Austrio-Hungarian Semi-DreadnoughtsPosted: January 3rd, 2020, 9:09 pm
I realized that I've put railings infront of the upper gun-deck, when that part of the ship is as wide as the hull. I've fixed it, and added the Radetzky as she appeared in 1913, with the new bluish-gray color as part of a trial to test out new colors for the KuK in a period of transitioning from a brown-water navy, into a blue-water navy.

[Profile] [Quote]
PomboCZ
Post subject: Re: Radetzky Class: Austrio-Hungarian Semi-DreadnoughtsPosted: January 4th, 2020, 1:44 pm
Great work on K.u.K. battleships! Keep it up! :)

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Radetzky Class: Austrio-Hungarian Semi-DreadnoughtsPosted: January 11th, 2020, 10:21 am
Splendid work.

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: Radetzky Class: Austrio-Hungarian Semi-DreadnoughtsPosted: April 10th, 2020, 11:48 am
So I was looking for some color pictures for the Italian battleships after Garlic said to use his color scheme, which looked a little too blue compared to colorized photographs, I happened to stumble onto a website that had colorized pictures for multiple navies, including the KuK.

One of those was of the Tegetthoff sporting her green color scheme. I noticed that my color scheme was too light. The real color is much darker with a more grayish, almost "faded" look to it. Also the boot topping is red, not pink.

I have added a corrected version of the green color. I wil also correct the Tegetthoff class. I will also correct the gray color that is supposed to be a little less blue and lighter in color, the boot topping for some reason happens to be mid-green, which will clash somewhat with the anti-fouling paint.

Edit: Just added the 1913 repainted Radetzy with the new gray color scheme.

[Profile] [Quote]
reytuerto
Post subject: Re: Radetzky Class: Austrio-Hungarian Semi-DreadnoughtsPosted: April 13th, 2020, 6:39 pm
Hi, Karle. May I ask you what is the purpose of the bowsprit in this battleship? Cheers and thanks.

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: Radetzky Class: Austrio-Hungarian Semi-DreadnoughtsPosted: April 13th, 2020, 6:53 pm
Dunno.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 13 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: